Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 07:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Family-friendly cycling event proves a big hit in Irvine
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 13 May 2022 14:09 UTC

The weather was kind at the weekend as over 300 local people dusted down their bikes and hopped on the saddle for the first-ever Pedal Irvine event.

Taking place on Sunday 8 May, Pedal Irvine offered a great opportunity for local families and people interested in cycling to come together and enjoy some of the best local cycle routes Irvine has to offer.

The fun, free and inclusive mass participation cycle event was organised by North Ayrshire Council’s Trinity Active Travel Hub, supported by Active Schools and sponsored by Cycling Scotland.

Kicking off on Sunday morning, a mass roll-out took place with participants undertaking a loop of the Beach Park, riding down National Cycle Network Route 7 before enjoying the scenic views on offer as they returned to the Maritime Museum via Marine Drive.

All riders with a range of abilities – some as young as three years old – managed to tackle the 8km route successfully and richly deserved their medals at the finish line.

Feedback was fantastic with one parent sharing: “We had a fab morning. My wee boy had just learned to ride his bike the week before, having been really wobbly for a few weeks up until then and he had the best time.”

With another family wishing they could do it all over again. They commented: “Thank you to North Ayrshire Council and Cycling Scotland for organising the event. It was my son and husband's first-time taking part in an event like this and they both wore their medals with pride all day. In the words of my 3-year-old, 'It was a very good day'!”

The non-competitive cycling event is the first of many future events being planned to encourage beginners and families to take advantage of the fantastic cycle routes North Ayrshire has to offer.

Caitriona McAuley, North Ayrshire Head of Service (Economic Development & Regeneration) commented: “North Ayrshire Council is proud to have supported the first-ever Pedal Irvine event in partnership with Cycling Scotland.

“The turnout was fantastic, and we appreciate very much everyone who took the time to take part in this fun day out for local families and people new to cycling. It really was a brilliant day for all involved as everyone came together for a motivating and fun day of cycling.”

“Irvine has some of the best cycle routes in Ayrshire including those of the National Cycle Network, our picturesque Beach Park trails and the scenic views around Irvine Harbourside.

“We hope that we’ve inspired the people who took part to cycle more regularly especially with the arrival of the better summer weather and discover the wealth of other Active Travel routes that North Ayrshire has to offer. Thank you to everyone who took part.”

Greg Brown, Senior Active Travel Officer added: “This event could not have happened without the support of a large number of local organisations coming together. So, on behalf of the Active Travel Team I would like to extend a huge thanks to Velo Club Vittesse, the Police Scotland Youth Volunteer’s, Irvine Cycles, event host The Scottish Maritime Museum and sponsor, Cycling Scotland.

“It was great to see plenty of other organisations setting up stalls too to greet the returning riders including the RNLI, The Ayrshire Community Trust, Home Energy Scotland, the North Ayrshire Outdoor Partnership, Above Adventure and North Ayrshire Council’s own Road Safety and Eglinton Park Rangers Team to name just a few.

"All of this took place to the backdrop of Irvine Beat who played their first live broadcast in years which added greatly to the day. It was a fantastic day out for all involved.”

If you missed the event and are looking for a safe and fun cycling environment or more cycle route inspiration, get in touch with our Active Travel Team by visiting the website here: https://thetrinity.org.uk/

https://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/news/Family-friendly-cycling-event-proves-a-big-hit-in-Irvine.aspx