From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Non-Event of the Day 768: Cyclist fobbed off by Met
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 16:11:51 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:11 UTC

This close passing driver was issued with an advisory letter after
narrowly avoiding both the cyclist he was attempting to overtake and
another rider coming the opposite way.

However, road.cc reader Tim, who reported the footage to the Met, was
told by the police that as the close pass didn’t cause him to slow, stop
or swerve, and because the view of the other cyclist wasn’t available,
the motorist received an advisory letter rather than a Notice of
Intended Prosecution.

After questioning the Met’s decision and asking for clarification on
what constitutes a close pass, the cyclist received the following reply:
“There is no separate single offence for a ‘Close Pass’. This is
proceeded with as a careless driving offence (driving without due care
or driving without reasonable consideration for other road users).

“We wouldn’t be able to proceed with a close pass event on an unknown
third party, as we do not have the victim’s viewpoint if it was
presented to Court.

“Every piece of footage is reviewed and judged on its own merits, as you
can appreciate. The careless driving offences are quite broad in their
definition, so it is quite difficult to answer your question. I’ve
always told people to send it in – as there might be something we see to
support an offence. But the most simple requirement would be to cause
someone to slow, stop or swerve.”

<https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-768-292767>

--
Spike