Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Subject: Low tech, off the shelf video game controller used by improvised sub
received 100's of 1 star reviews on Amazon
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:02:44 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:02 UTC

Many just threw them in the trash, with complaints of constant lost
connections and the pad constantly scrambling and resetting itself to
default configuration - And Xippy laughed at me ranking the controller
as a possible cause of disaster the day this happened.

Think about it [I know thats asking alot from some people] ,,, If your
last command was a slight descent and you lost connection, batteries ran
out or it reset itself, it is going to keep right on descending until it
receives another command, or it bashes into something.
Thats in lieu of any redundant, backup method to control the craft
without the $29.99 controller - And its tough for me to believe that
guys like this could justify spending another $30 for a silly thing like
redundancy.

After total electrical failure and haul failure, this ranks as my 3rd
possibility, almost a tie for 2nd.

`````````````

The $29.99 battery-powered gaming controller used to pilot the lost
Titanic submarine has received HUNDREDS of complaints since launching in
2010 for 'losing connection constantly and breaking all the time'

OceanGate CEO revealed in 2022 that a video game controller powers
the Titan
It uses a Logitech G F710 Wireless Gamepad first released in 2010
Read Dailymail.com's live blog on the missing OceanGate Expeditions
sub

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12219717/The-30-gaming-controller-used-pilot-lost-Titanic-submarine-received-HUNDREDS-complaints.html

Re: Low tech, off the shelf video game controller used by improvised sub received 100's of 1 star reviews on Amazon

<20230621222956.00007547@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9679&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9679

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Low tech, off the shelf video game controller used by
improvised sub received 100's of 1 star reviews on Amazon
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 22:29:56 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:29 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:02:44 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> Think about it [I know thats asking alot from some people] ,,, If
> your last command was a slight descent and you lost connection,
> batteries ran out or it reset itself, it is going to keep right on
> descending until it receives another command, or it bashes into
> something. Thats in lieu of any redundant, backup method to control
> the craft without the $29.99 controller

I guess the touch screens don't count.

I am told the standard from of reply should be "cool story bro".

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: Low tech, off the shelf video game controller used by improvised sub received 100's of 1 star reviews on Amazon