We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -- Oscar Wilde

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: NASes and Backblaze

SubjectAuthor
* NASes and BackblazeSH
`* Re: NASes and BackblazeSH
 +* Re: NASes and BackblazeJeff Gaines
 |`* Re: NASes and BackblazeSH
 | `* Re: NASes and BackblazeJeff Gaines
 |  `* Re: NASes and BackblazeSH
 |   +* Re: NASes and BackblazeJeff Gaines
 |   |`* Re: NASes and BackblazeSH
 |   | `- Re: NASes and BackblazeJeff Gaines
 |   `- Re: NASes and BackblazeTheo
 `* Re: NASes and BackblazeDavid
  `- Re: NASes and BackblazeSH

1
NASes and Backblaze

<s82sf8$161h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=952&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#952

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: NASes and Backblaze
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 12:23:22 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 19 May 2021 11:23 UTC

I'm going to build a home brew NAS such as OMV or Freenas/Truenas or
Nas4Free/XigmaNas.

Now I see Blackblaze do unlimited backup for $6 a month and you can
upload as much data as you want. However, this is on a per device basis.

So I was thinking of doing was to get every device in my house to back
up to my Home NAS,

then get the NAS backed to Backblaze and only pay the $6 per month as
its only the NAS being backed up..

Now my question is whihc NAS platform is best and how do I integrate
Backblaze with it?

I have a fibre connection of 500 MBit/s both ways and according to
Backblaze, I can upload circa 4.5 TB per day.....

The NAS will have 2 off 8 port RAID controllers in it so in theory I can
put in as many as 16 drives and with 4TB drives, I'm looking at up to
64TB.... :-) plenty of room for growth/expansion but still pay the $6
per month to Backblaze..... :-)

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<s82ubb$1s61$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=956&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#956

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: NASes and Backblaze
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 12:55:25 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 19 May 2021 11:55 UTC

On 19/05/2021 12:23, SH wrote:

> I'm going to build a home brew NAS such as OMV or Freenas/Truenas or
> Nas4Free/XigmaNas.
>
> Now I see Blackblaze do unlimited backup for $6 a month and you can
> upload as much data as you want. However, this is on a per device basis.
>
> So I  was thinking of doing was to get every device in my house to back
> up to my Home NAS,
>
> then get the NAS backed to Backblaze and only pay the $6 per month as
> its only the NAS being backed up..
>
> Now my question is whihc NAS platform is best and how do I integrate
> Backblaze with it?
>
> I have a fibre connection of 500 MBit/s both ways and according to
> Backblaze, I can upload circa 4.5 TB per day.....
>
> The NAS will have 2 off 8 port RAID controllers in it so in theory I can
> put in as many as 16 drives and with 4TB drives, I'm looking at up to
> 64TB.... :-)  plenty of room for growth/expansion but still pay the $6
> per month to Backblaze..... :-)

Doh!.... The personal Backblaze is only available to Mac or Windows PCs
so Linux is out of luck unless signing up to B2 (business backup).

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<xn0my2pmp5kmei004@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=958&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#958

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 12:02:03 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:02 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message <s82ubb$1s61$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:

>Doh!.... The personal Backblaze is only available to Mac or Windows PCs so
>Linux is out of luck unless signing up to B2 (business backup).
>
>Oh well, back to the drawing board!

You could put Windows on the machine that was going to have FreeNAS on it?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<s82vmp$n5a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=959&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#959

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 13:18:35 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:18 UTC

On 19/05/2021 13:02, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 19/05/2021 in message <s82ubb$1s61$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:
>
>> Doh!.... The personal Backblaze is only available to Mac or Windows
>> PCs so Linux is out of luck unless signing up to B2 (business backup).
>>
>> Oh well, back to the drawing board!
>
> You could put Windows on the machine that was going to have FreeNAS on it?

I think WHS is EOL'ed and probably a hackers honeypot?

S.

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<xn0my2q8q6gkjg005@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=960&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#960

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 12:26:53 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:26 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message <s82vmp$n5a$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:

>On 19/05/2021 13:02, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>On 19/05/2021 in message <s82ubb$1s61$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:
>>
>>>Doh!.... The personal Backblaze is only available to Mac or Windows PCs
>>>so Linux is out of luck unless signing up to B2 (business backup).
>>>
>>>Oh well, back to the drawing board!
>>
>>You could put Windows on the machine that was going to have FreeNAS on it?
>>

>I think WHS is EOL'ed and probably a hackers honeypot?
>
>S.

That means absolutely nothing to me :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<s830gp$10gt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=961&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#961

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 13:32:28 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:32 UTC

On 19/05/2021 13:26, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 19/05/2021 in message <s82vmp$n5a$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:

>>> You could put Windows on the machine that was going to have FreeNAS
>>> on it?
>>>

>> I think WHS is EOL'ed and probably a hackers honeypot?
>>
>> S.
>
> That means absolutely nothing to me :-)

WHS is windows home server. Its prtobably the only Windows OS based NAS
solution there ever was. TYhink it EOLed (end of lifed) in 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server

Freenas is based on FreeBSD (which is a unix like OS from Berkeley
University.

OMV is based on Debian (a linux distro)

So I struggle to see how putting Windows 10 on an ex-Freenas box makes
it remain a NAS? :-)

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<xn0my2qyv7ibea006@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=962&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#962

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 12:56:15 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:56 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message <s830gp$10gt$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:

>So I struggle to see how putting Windows 10 on an ex-Freenas box makes it
>remain a NAS? :-)

OK!

Windows 10 (or in my case 8.1) makes a perfectly good OS for a home
server. Add WAMP and one of the (free) network streaming apps and you're
there.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<s8328h$fj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=963&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#963

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:02:11 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 19 May 2021 13:02 UTC

On 19/05/2021 13:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 19/05/2021 in message <s830gp$10gt$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:
>
>> So I struggle to see how putting Windows 10 on an ex-Freenas box makes
>> it remain a NAS? :-)
>
> OK!
>
> Windows 10 (or in my case 8.1) makes a perfectly good OS for a home
> server. Add WAMP and one of the (free) network streaming apps and you're
> there.

WAMP?

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<igkk5nFr8fmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=965&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#965

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 14:03:35 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 19 May 2021 14:03 UTC

On Wed, 19 May 2021 12:55:25 +0100, SH wrote:

> On 19/05/2021 12:23, SH wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to build a home brew NAS such as OMV or Freenas/Truenas or
>> Nas4Free/XigmaNas.
>>
>> Now I see Blackblaze do unlimited backup for $6 a month and you can
>> upload as much data as you want. However, this is on a per device
>> basis.
>>
>> So I  was thinking of doing was to get every device in my house to back
>> up to my Home NAS,
>>
>> then get the NAS backed to Backblaze and only pay the $6 per month as
>> its only the NAS being backed up..
>>
>> Now my question is whihc NAS platform is best and how do I integrate
>> Backblaze with it?
>>
>> I have a fibre connection of 500 MBit/s both ways and according to
>> Backblaze, I can upload circa 4.5 TB per day.....
>>
>> The NAS will have 2 off 8 port RAID controllers in it so in theory I
>> can put in as many as 16 drives and with 4TB drives, I'm looking at up
>> to 64TB.... :-)  plenty of room for growth/expansion but still pay the
>> $6 per month to Backblaze..... :-)

> Doh!.... The personal Backblaze is only available to Mac or Windows PCs
> so Linux is out of luck unless signing up to B2 (business backup).
>
> Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Can't you mount the data drive on the NAS as a networked drive on a
Windows PC then back up that Windows PC including the networked drive?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<s8376u$bt3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=966&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#966

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 15:26:41 +0100
 by: SH - Wed, 19 May 2021 14:26 UTC

On 19/05/2021 15:03, David wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2021 12:55:25 +0100, SH wrote:
>
>> On 19/05/2021 12:23, SH wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to build a home brew NAS such as OMV or Freenas/Truenas or
>>> Nas4Free/XigmaNas.
>>>
>>> Now I see Blackblaze do unlimited backup for $6 a month and you can
>>> upload as much data as you want. However, this is on a per device
>>> basis.
>>>
>>> So I  was thinking of doing was to get every device in my house to back
>>> up to my Home NAS,
>>>
>>> then get the NAS backed to Backblaze and only pay the $6 per month as
>>> its only the NAS being backed up..
>>>
>>> Now my question is whihc NAS platform is best and how do I integrate
>>> Backblaze with it?
>>>
>>> I have a fibre connection of 500 MBit/s both ways and according to
>>> Backblaze, I can upload circa 4.5 TB per day.....
>>>
>>> The NAS will have 2 off 8 port RAID controllers in it so in theory I
>>> can put in as many as 16 drives and with 4TB drives, I'm looking at up
>>> to 64TB.... :-)  plenty of room for growth/expansion but still pay the
>>> $6 per month to Backblaze..... :-)

>> Doh!.... The personal Backblaze is only available to Mac or Windows PCs
>> so Linux is out of luck unless signing up to B2 (business backup).
>>
>> Oh well, back to the drawing board!
>
> Can't you mount the data drive on the NAS as a networked drive on a
> Windows PC then back up that Windows PC including the networked drive?
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

The backblaze site says it does NOT back up network shares and also, a
NAS runs 24/7 whereas a desktop PC gets turned on and off all the time.

So any file changes by other devices in the house would not get backed
up until the desktop PC was next turned on......

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<xn0my2tfvastr9007@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=967&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#967

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 14:28:23 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 14:28 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message <s8328h$fj$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:

>On 19/05/2021 13:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>On 19/05/2021 in message <s830gp$10gt$1@gioia.aioe.org> SH wrote:
>>
>>>So I struggle to see how putting Windows 10 on an ex-Freenas box makes it
>>>remain a NAS? :-)
>>
>>OK!
>>
>>Windows 10 (or in my case 8.1) makes a perfectly good OS for a home
>>server. Add WAMP and one of the (free) network streaming apps and you're
>>there.
>>

>WAMP?

https://www.wampserver.com/en/

Used to mean something like Windows Apache MySQL PHP.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Re: NASes and Backblaze

<Iyz*MQuky@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=968&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#968

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 16:11:22 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 19 May 2021 15:11 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> So I struggle to see how putting Windows 10 on an ex-Freenas box makes
> it remain a NAS? :-)

I don't really Windows, but can you not make a Windows PC share its disc to
other machines? Then it's not a network share as far as the Backblaze app
is concerned.

I think Windows can do funky disc RAIDy things with Storage Spaces which
might be useful in a server.

Theo