Computer Science is merely the post-Turing decline in formal systems theory.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

SubjectAuthor
* Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he wasJeSSe
`* Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because heThe Happy Hippy
 `* Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because heJeSSe
  `* Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because heThe Happy Hippy
   `* Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because heJeSSe
    `* Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because heThe Happy Hippy
     `- Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because heJeSSe

1
Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<SAtkM.33940$8uge.26169@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9642&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9642

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Subject: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was
spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:51:30 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 02:51 UTC

Mmm hmm, sounds like another smart guy we all know who by chance posts
right here ,,, Survivors survive for a reason - Smart people get smarter
and the dumb keep getting dumber [As Xippy proves every single day,
multiple times a day, hell often multiple times per post].

```````````

The multi-millionaire digital marketing tycoon found it concerning that
the vessel was controlled by a modified Playstation controller.

'I asked for a refund - they were cutting too many corners': Friend of
Hamish Harding says he pulled out of joining the billionaire on missing
OceanGate sub Titan due to 'safety concerns'

Chris Brown asked OceanGate for refund after deciding the 'risks
were too high'

A thrill-seeker who intended to join billionaire Hamish Harding on the
missing Titanic sub pulled out of the dive because he thought OceanGate
was 'cutting too many corners', it has emerged.

Chris Brown, 61, had paid the deposit to go on the doomed voyage, but
says he changed his mind after becoming concerned by the quality of
technology and materials used in the vessel, The Sun reported.

Among his concerns were OceanGate's use of 'old scaffolding poles' for
the ballast and the fact that its controls were 'based on computer
game-style controllers'.

The pair paid the 10 per cent deposit for the trip, which has since more
than doubled in price, while the Titan was still being developed, he
claimed.

But Mr Brown alleged that in the years that followed, he learned
OceanGate had 'missed key targets' when depth-testing the submersible.

The multi-millionaire digital marketing tycoon found it concerning that
the vessel was controlled by a modified Playstation controller.

He also is understood to have been worried by the technical issues and
delays throughout the development process.

He told The Sun: 'I found out they used old scaffolding poles for the
sub's ballast.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12216367/Friend-Hamish-Harding-says-pulled-OceanGate-sub-voyage-safety-concerns.html

Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<20230621113835.000060ae@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9647&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9647

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he
was spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:38:35 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:38 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:51:30 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> He told The Sun: 'I found out they used old scaffolding poles for the
> sub's ballast.

So what did he want them to use, new scaffolding poles ?

The point of physical ballast is that it has weight and it doesn't really matter what makes up that weight.

And what is the point of making it look pretty when ballast is going to be dumped on the ocean floor to allow the craft to ascend ? That's just throwing money away for no good reason.

There are good environmental reasons for recycling otherwise unusable materials for ballast and for using materials which are older and will more quickly rot away when it is dumped near the site.

People who are criticising OceanGate for using an Xbox controller, old scaffolding poles and drainage pipes for ballast, simply haven't taken the time to understand why they are doing that, the legitimate reasons for doing so.

Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<A4JkM.94$I68a.25@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9670&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9670

was spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:29:20 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:

> People who are criticising OceanGate for using an Xbox controller, old scaffolding poles and drainage pipes for ballast, simply haven't taken the time to understand why they are doing that, the legitimate reasons for doing so.

This coming from a guy who sees no value at all for comprehensive,
professional, independent structural tests for a novel, improvised
vessel that takes paying passengers down to 12k ft ?

I'll pass on your opinion, thanks just the same.

Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<20230621215815.00006c58@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9673&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9673

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
was spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:58:15 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:58 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:29:20 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> The Happy Hippy wrote:
>

> > People who are criticising OceanGate for using an Xbox controller,
> > old scaffolding poles and drainage pipes for ballast, simply
> > haven't taken the time to understand why they are doing that, the
> > legitimate reasons for doing so.
>
> This coming from a guy who sees no value at all for comprehensive,
> professional, independent structural tests for a novel, improvised
> vessel that takes paying passengers down to 12k ft ?

I never said I don't see any value in regulatory regimes. And I have made plenty of postings which show that I do.

All I am saying is that using an Xbox controller and old scaffolding poles and drainage pipes as ballast isn't actually problematic, is entirely legitimate, wouldn't be excluded from use by a regulatory regime.

Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<Q_JkM.5641$VKY6.4391@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9680&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9680

was spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:31:28 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:31 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:29:20 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> The Happy Hippy wrote:
>>

>>> People who are criticising OceanGate for using an Xbox controller,
>>> old scaffolding poles and drainage pipes for ballast, simply
>>> haven't taken the time to understand why they are doing that, the
>>> legitimate reasons for doing so.
>>
>> This coming from a guy who sees no value at all for comprehensive,
>> professional, independent structural tests for a novel, improvised
>> vessel that takes paying passengers down to 12k ft ?
>
> I never said I don't see any value in regulatory regimes. And I have made plenty of postings which show that I do.

And I quote YOU [just hours ago]:

"I don't understand why there is such a fuss being kicked up about the
vessel having not been approved by official bodies"

> All I am saying is that using an Xbox controller and old scaffolding poles and drainage pipes as ballast isn't actually problematic, is entirely legitimate, wouldn't be excluded from use by a regulatory regime.

Rank speculation, uniformed opinion.
Stupid, self serving chatter than means nothing to anyone besides
yourself - And thats putting it charitably.

Clear objectives into any type rating for a craft like this would be
hull integrity, electrical system/control integrity, effectiveness of
emergency ascent systems and REDUNDANCY of all of the above.

From the little that is known so far, its very tough to see this
improvised pet project on a budget from a known bigot hiring not on
skill or experience but rather imagination and ability to follow orders
passing muster in any of these critical categories, and in fact would
more likely than not have failed all of them.

But we may never know because he wasn't mandated to have a provable safe
craft, his rich customers were forced to take his word for it, and in
lieu of any other choices, their obsession with Titanic overrode their
common sense and even sense of survival.

Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<20230621230800.00006a68@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9683&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9683

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
was spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:08:00 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 22:08 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:31:28 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:29:20 -0400
> > JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> >> This coming from a guy who sees no value at all for comprehensive,
> >> professional, independent structural tests for a novel, improvised
> >> vessel that takes paying passengers down to 12k ft ?
> >
> > I never said I don't see any value in regulatory regimes. And I
> > have made plenty of postings which show that I do.
>
> And I quote YOU [just hours ago]:
>
> "I don't understand why there is such a fuss being kicked up about
> the vessel having not been approved by official bodies"
>
> > All I am saying is that using an Xbox controller and old
> > scaffolding poles and drainage pipes as ballast isn't actually
> > problematic, is entirely legitimate, wouldn't be excluded from use
> > by a regulatory regime.

I'm not going around in circles with another of your stupid "you said" and my agreeing that "yes, I did say that" excursions.

They'll be dead tomorrow and you will have got what you wanted, can indulge in all the "it's their own fault", "serves them right", and "got what they deserved" celebrations you want to.

Re: Smart, lucky guy - Man passes on trip to the Titanic because he was spooked by cheap Amazon remote

<uPKkM.845$3XE8.57@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9686&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9686

was spooked by cheap Amazon remote
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 18:27:38 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 22:27 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:31:28 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> The Happy Hippy wrote:

>>> I never said I don't see any value in regulatory regimes. And I
>>> have made plenty of postings which show that I do.
>>
>> And I quote YOU [just hours ago]:
>>
>> "I don't understand why there is such a fuss being kicked up about
>> the vessel having not been approved by official bodies"
>>
>>> All I am saying is that using an Xbox controller and old
>>> scaffolding poles and drainage pipes as ballast isn't actually
>>> problematic, is entirely legitimate, wouldn't be excluded from use
>>> by a regulatory regime.
>
> I'm not going around in circles with another of your stupid "you said"

Only reason we are going round and round is you refuse to acknowledge
what you said only hours before, just like a little child in denial.

You said 2 things that are stupidly contradictory, which I quoted, you
can't decide which one to stick with, and are apparently trying to give
yourself one of your cum stained tshirts either way

Ie: If you see value in regulatory regimes, which you claimed, then you
would NOT be mystified by a fuss being kicked up about the vessel having
not been approved by official bodies, as you also claimed.