Prevent forest fires.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

SubjectAuthor
* "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP
+* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
|+* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP
||+- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
||`* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
|| `- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
|+* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP
||`* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
|| `* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP
||  +* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP
||  |`- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP
||  +- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
||  `* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
||   `* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
||    `* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
||     `* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
||      +* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
||      |`* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
||      | `* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
||      |  +* Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteJeSSe
||      |  |`- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
||      |  `- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
||      `- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
|`- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteThe Happy Hippy
`- Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck siteTWP

1
"Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<c_ZjM.15786$48w7.3677@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9575&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9575

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:54:00 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:54 UTC

https://news.sky.com/story/commercial-submarine-goes-missing-near-titanic-
wreck-in-atlantic-ocean-12905471

A commercial submarine has gone missing near the site of wreck of the
Titanic, Sky News understands.

It is not clear how many people, if any, were on board at the time it went
missing.

-------------

Another news site says the Boston Coast Guard says a search and rescue
operation is underway.

Well it doesn't sound like a robot submarine.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<Zk%jM.17769$k4z1.1187@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9577&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9577

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:26:33 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:26 UTC

TWP wrote:
> https://news.sky.com/story/commercial-submarine-goes-missing-near-titanic-
> wreck-in-atlantic-ocean-12905471
>
> A commercial submarine has gone missing near the site of wreck of the
> Titanic, Sky News understands.
>
> It is not clear how many people, if any, were on board at the time it went
> missing.
>
> -------------
>
> Another news site says the Boston Coast Guard says a search and rescue
> operation is underway.
>
> Well it doesn't sound like a robot submarine.

How ironic and terrible it would be to join the T on the bottom, though
I suppose they could raise a sub easy enough.
I first thought your post was a bad attempt at a joke, didn't know
tourist dives at depths like this were possible. [I suspect demand for
tickets has instantly dried up]

Rescue mission launched for Titanic submarine with five people aboard
after it went missing on voyage to see wreck of liner 12,500ft below
Atlantic Ocean: Tourists pay $250k a ticket

The Boston Coastguard is trying to locate the Titan submersible
The Titanic wreckage sits in the ocean bed around 370 miles from
Newfoundland
OceanGate Expeditions is one of the only companies that runs the
tours

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12210873/Tourist-sub-taking-groups-Titanic-wreckage-goes-missing.html

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<Sy0kM.6608$92h9.5473@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9579&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9579

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:49:38 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:49 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:26:33 -0400, JeSSe wrote:

> TWP wrote:
>> https://news.sky.com/story/commercial-submarine-goes-missing-near-
titanic-
>> wreck-in-atlantic-ocean-12905471
>>
>> A commercial submarine has gone missing near the site of wreck of the
>> Titanic, Sky News understands.
>>
>> It is not clear how many people, if any, were on board at the time it
>> went missing.
>>
>> -------------
>>
>> Another news site says the Boston Coast Guard says a search and rescue
>> operation is underway.
>>
>> Well it doesn't sound like a robot submarine.
>>

> How ironic and terrible it would be to join the T on the bottom, though
> I suppose they could raise a sub easy enough.

Ironic that a vessel called "Titan", filled with some of the most wealthy
people around should sink next to the Titanic.

It's strange that there doesn't seem to have been any messages from the
submarine (that I know of). I'm sure they would have an emergency power
system that would keep communications working. Almost like it's in pieces
on the sea bed somewhere... or at least full of water.

The Alvin submarine used an acoustic 'telephone' that send sound through
the water to the surface. If this submarine has the same sort of
arrangement maybe the silence means they're trapped somewhere inside the
wreck where the signals are blocked.

A frequent place to park on the wreck used to be the flat roof next to the
first class Grand Staircase. Maybe they tried the same and went through
the roof. If so it's probably not going to be easy to recover the
submarine. If that's where they are they might be staying there.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<GA0kM.6609$92h9.1022@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9580&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9580

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:51:34 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:51 UTC

https://everythingrmstitanic.tumblr.com/post/29378654019/the-deep-
submersible-alvin-rests-on-the-roof-of

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<4r1kM.5947$zcM5.1104@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9581&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9581

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:49:36 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 18:49 UTC

TWP wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:26:33 -0400, JeSSe wrote:
>
>> TWP wrote:
>>> https://news.sky.com/story/commercial-submarine-goes-missing-near-
> titanic-
>>> wreck-in-atlantic-ocean-12905471
>>>
>>> A commercial submarine has gone missing near the site of wreck of the
>>> Titanic, Sky News understands.
>>>
>>> It is not clear how many people, if any, were on board at the time it
>>> went missing.
>>>
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> Another news site says the Boston Coast Guard says a search and rescue
>>> operation is underway.
>>>
>>> Well it doesn't sound like a robot submarine.
>>>

>> How ironic and terrible it would be to join the T on the bottom, though
>> I suppose they could raise a sub easy enough.
>
> Ironic that a vessel called "Titan", filled with some of the most wealthy
> people around should sink next to the Titanic.
>
> It's strange that there doesn't seem to have been any messages from the
> submarine (that I know of). I'm sure they would have an emergency power
> system that would keep communications working. Almost like it's in pieces
> on the sea bed somewhere... or at least full of water.
>
> The Alvin submarine used an acoustic 'telephone' that send sound through
> the water to the surface. If this submarine has the same sort of
> arrangement maybe the silence means they're trapped somewhere inside the
> wreck where the signals are blocked.
>
> A frequent place to park on the wreck used to be the flat roof next to the
> first class Grand Staircase. Maybe they tried the same and went through
> the roof. If so it's probably not going to be easy to recover the
> submarine. If that's where they are they might be staying there.

If they imploded that would explain the lack of comms for sure.

I am wondering if this thing was tethered in some fashion or free diving
? Underwater comms are notoriously difficult, especially if there was no
tether. Would stand to reason it had some kind of beacon, black box type
gadget but odds are the vessel is in bits & pieces and will only help
trying to figure out what went wrong, not recovery.

Here it says they have 3 days of air left on the sub, assuming it hasn't
imploded, so there remains the potential for a rescue ,, I suppose the
obvious complication is being in the middle of nowhere, salvage vessels
capable of rescues at that depth would take some time to arrive on the
scene [Or not, perhaps the USN has one of more on the east coast]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12210873/Tourist-sub-taking-groups-Titanic-wreckage-goes-missing.html

Race to find Titanic tourist submarine with British billionaire and four
others aboard that has vanished 12,500ft below the Atlantic Ocean with
only 72 HOURS of air left: US Coast Guard joins rescue

Read DailyMail.com's live blog on the missing OceanGate Expeditions sub
The submersible has up to 96 hours of oxygen for a crew of five people
Hamish Harding is feared to be among those onboard

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<jB1kM.32944$8uge.1226@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9584&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9584

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:00:32 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:00 UTC

TWP wrote:

> https://everythingrmstitanic.tumblr.com/post/29378654019/the-deep-
> submersible-alvin-rests-on-the-roof-of

Not the 1st time this vessel has been reported missing

'We were lost': Missing OceanGate Titanic sub vanished for HOURS last
summer after its communication system that sends text messages to vessel
'somehow broke down'

CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue shared his experience
onboard an OceanGate Expeditions vessel on Monday
He said his voyage was marred by bad weather and communications
problems, causing the ship to reported missing for two and a half hours
United States and Canadian Coast Guard officials are now
desperately searching for another of its ships that went missing Sunday
morning

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12211631/Missing-OceanGate-Titanic-sub-vanished-HOURS-summer.html

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<d82kM.6610$92h9.5824@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9585&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9585

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37:45 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:00:32 -0400, JeSSe wrote:

> TWP wrote:
>>
>> https://everythingrmstitanic.tumblr.com/post/29378654019/the-deep-
>> submersible-alvin-rests-on-the-roof-of
>>

> Not the 1st time this vessel has been reported missing
>

> 'We were lost': Missing OceanGate Titanic sub vanished for HOURS last
> summer after its communication system that sends text messages to vessel
> 'somehow broke down'
>
> CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue shared his experience
> onboard an OceanGate Expeditions vessel on Monday
> He said his voyage was marred by bad weather and communications
> problems, causing the ship to reported missing for two and a half hours
> United States and Canadian Coast Guard officials are now
> desperately searching for another of its ships that went missing Sunday
> morning
>
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12211631/Missing-OceanGate-
Titanic-sub-vanished-HOURS-summer.html

They've been missing about a day this time.

I think "we were lost" probably meant they didn't know where they were or
how to get to the Titanic, I don't think they were lost like they are
now. They probably thought it was worthwhile to spend a bit of time
trying to get the communications to work since it takes a couple of hours
to return to the surface. I think they're held down by weights which they
drop to return to the surface - which if true would remove the possible
failure of ballast tanks, but would make the decision to return to the
surface kind of final.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<0i2kM.17303$Ug65.3091@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9586&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9586

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:48:12 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:48 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37:45 +0000, TWP wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:00:32 -0400, JeSSe wrote:
>
>> TWP wrote:
>>>
>>> https://everythingrmstitanic.tumblr.com/post/29378654019/the-deep-
>>> submersible-alvin-rests-on-the-roof-of
>>>

>> Not the 1st time this vessel has been reported missing
>>

>> 'We were lost': Missing OceanGate Titanic sub vanished for HOURS last
>> summer after its communication system that sends text messages to
>> vessel 'somehow broke down'
>>
>> CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue shared his experience
>> onboard an OceanGate Expeditions vessel on Monday
>> He said his voyage was marred by bad weather and communications
>> problems, causing the ship to reported missing for two and a half hours
>> United States and Canadian Coast Guard officials are now
>> desperately searching for another of its ships that went missing Sunday
>> morning
>>
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12211631/Missing-OceanGate-
> Titanic-sub-vanished-HOURS-summer.html
>

> They've been missing about a day this time.
>
> I think "we were lost" probably meant they didn't know where they were
> or how to get to the Titanic, I don't think they were lost like they are
> now. They probably thought it was worthwhile to spend a bit of time
> trying to get the communications to work since it takes a couple of
> hours to return to the surface. I think they're held down by weights
> which they drop to return to the surface - which if true would remove
> the possible failure of ballast tanks, but would make the decision to
> return to the surface kind of final.

@Terror_Alarm

Prof Alistair Greig from University College London is an expert on
submarines. He has worked through a number of scenarios for where the
missing submersible might be:
One is that it released a “drop weight” after an emergency, in order to
bring it to the surface.
“If there was a power failure and or communication failure, this might
have happened, and the submersible would then be bobbing about on the
surface waiting to be found."
Another scenario, he says, is that the hull was compromised resulting in a
leak. “Then the prognosis is not good.”
If it has gone down to the seabed and can’t get back up under its own
power, the options - according to Prof Greig - are very limited.
“While the submersible might still be intact if it is deeper than more
than 200m (656ft) there are very few vessels that can get that deep, and
certainly not divers.
“The vehicles designed for navy submarine rescue certainly can’t get down
to anywhere near the depth of the Titanic.
"And even if they could, I very much doubt that they could attach to the
hatch of the tourist submersible.”

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<Qk2kM.1837$7erd.716@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9587&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9587

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:51:12 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:51 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:48:12 +0000, TWP wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37:45 +0000, TWP wrote:

>>> Not the 1st time this vessel has been reported missing
>>>

>>> 'We were lost': Missing OceanGate Titanic sub vanished for HOURS last
>>> summer after its communication system that sends text messages to
>>> vessel 'somehow broke down'
>>>
>>> CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue shared his experience
>>> onboard an OceanGate Expeditions vessel on Monday
>>> He said his voyage was marred by bad weather and communications
>>> problems, causing the ship to reported missing for two and a half
>>> hours
>>> United States and Canadian Coast Guard officials are now
>>> desperately searching for another of its ships that went missing
>>> Sunday morning
>>>
>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12211631/Missing-OceanGate-
>> Titanic-sub-vanished-HOURS-summer.html
>>

>> They've been missing about a day this time.
>>
>> I think "we were lost" probably meant they didn't know where they were
>> or how to get to the Titanic, I don't think they were lost like they
>> are now. They probably thought it was worthwhile to spend a bit of
>> time trying to get the communications to work since it takes a couple
>> of hours to return to the surface. I think they're held down by weights
>> which they drop to return to the surface - which if true would remove
>> the possible failure of ballast tanks, but would make the decision to
>> return to the surface kind of final.
>

> @Terror_Alarm
>
> Prof Alistair Greig from University College London is an expert on
> submarines. He has worked through a number of scenarios for where the
> missing submersible might be:
> One is that it released a “drop weight” after an emergency, in order to
> bring it to the surface.
> “If there was a power failure and or communication failure, this might
> have happened, and the submersible would then be bobbing about on the
> surface waiting to be found."
> Another scenario, he says, is that the hull was compromised resulting in
> a leak. “Then the prognosis is not good.”
> If it has gone down to the seabed and can’t get back up under its own
> power, the options - according to Prof Greig - are very limited.
> “While the submersible might still be intact if it is deeper than more
> than 200m (656ft) there are very few vessels that can get that deep, and
> certainly not divers.
> “The vehicles designed for navy submarine rescue certainly can’t get
> down to anywhere near the depth of the Titanic.
> "And even if they could, I very much doubt that they could attach to the
> hatch of the tourist submersible.”

https://twitter.com/Terror_Alarm/status/1670862148786966529

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<HZ2kM.1148$o5e9.1056@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9588&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9588

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:34:47 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:34 UTC

TWP wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:00:32 -0400, JeSSe wrote:
>
>> TWP wrote:
>>>
>>> https://everythingrmstitanic.tumblr.com/post/29378654019/the-deep-
>>> submersible-alvin-rests-on-the-roof-of
>>>

>> Not the 1st time this vessel has been reported missing
>>

>> 'We were lost': Missing OceanGate Titanic sub vanished for HOURS last
>> summer after its communication system that sends text messages to vessel
>> 'somehow broke down'
>>
>> CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue shared his experience
>> onboard an OceanGate Expeditions vessel on Monday
>> He said his voyage was marred by bad weather and communications
>> problems, causing the ship to reported missing for two and a half hours
>> United States and Canadian Coast Guard officials are now
>> desperately searching for another of its ships that went missing Sunday
>> morning
>>
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12211631/Missing-OceanGate-
> Titanic-sub-vanished-HOURS-summer.html
>

> They've been missing about a day this time.
>
> I think "we were lost" probably meant they didn't know where they were or
> how to get to the Titanic, I don't think they were lost like they are
> now. They probably thought it was worthwhile to spend a bit of time
> trying to get the communications to work since it takes a couple of hours
> to return to the surface. I think they're held down by weights which they
> drop to return to the surface - which if true would remove the possible
> failure of ballast tanks, but would make the decision to return to the
> surface kind of final.

No the situations are not exactly comparable sure, but if a vessel like
this stops communicating for 2 hours, in that time frame those on the
surface would start assuming the worse.

Its tough for laymen to comment on "better comms", I metal detect often
in water, no wireless accessories will work in even a few ft, my water
headphones are wired for that reason. So the difficulties presented by
miles of water is belong my comprehension, tethered I think is the only
failsafe option.

USN as is well known has been working decades on underwater comms and
maintains huge grids for that purpose, which I suppose send out chirps
and pulses like dolphins ,, But by and large, subs still have to surface
to receive orders and give PosReps, it is likely the science of wireless
underwater coms will never be truely mastered.

And yes, you would think they would have an emergency option to bob them
to the surface, though I am rather doubting they are 100% ballast free.
After all, making themselves heavier than water is how they descend, and
making themselves lighter they ascend, can't do both with just dead weight.
If anything, they might need more ballast space to account for the
emergency weights, which for practical purposes is simply part of the
vessels gross weight.
[On re-reading your post, if they actually use disposable weights as
part of the design, then that would reduce the need for ballast]

We'll see, interesting stuff, lets hope for a miracle, I am guessing
they have maybe a 10% chance if they are intact as we speak - Not good
odds, but better than 0

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230619221945.00001825@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9590&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9590

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:19:45 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 21:19 UTC

JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> I didn't know tourist dives at depths like this were possible.

There's a lot you don't know. Have you figured out "dribble" yet ?

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230619222128.0000523e@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9591&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9591

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:21:28 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 21:21 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:49:38 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's strange that there doesn't seem to have been any messages from
> the submarine (that I know of).

Was the pilot a Muslim ?

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<_z7kM.8844$pHT8.7028@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9598&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9598

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 21:48:43 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 01:48 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:49:38 GMT
> TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> It's strange that there doesn't seem to have been any messages from
>> the submarine (that I know of).
>
> Was the pilot a Muslim ?

No, they are too busy sailing packed fishing boats trying to get to
Italy [not much success with that lately I heard ,,,] Perhaps they'll
wash up on a beach near you and you can frame their rotting remains

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<RogkM.15321$ySzc.11520@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9604&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9604

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:51:13 GMT
 by: TWP - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:51 UTC

https://news.sky.com/story/titanic-submarine-missing-live-updates-
submersible-cannot-be-opened-from-inside-time-running-out-on-oxygen-supply-
waiver-mentions-death-three-times-12905748

20 June 2023 11:17
Missing sub sent out 'distress signal'

A distress signal has been sent out from the Titan submersible, according
to an oceanologist - but the timing of the communication is yet unknown.

Dr Simon Boxall, of the University of Southampton, said he had "second-
hand knowledge" that a "signal" has been received from the missing vessel.

"You can't use radios underwater. You rely totally on 'pings'. What they
have is really limited communication," he said.

"Apparently they have had, and I don't know when... they have had an
emergency ping saying the vessel is in distress. I don't know if that is
automatically generated or generated by people on board."

Dr Boxall said the sub may already be lost "or it could be automatic".

He does not know when the message was sent out.

_________

There was a Boxhall on the Titanic.

I still have a sneaking feeling they're inside the Titanic wreck. The
submarie lost contact just as they've have been nearing or arriving at the
sea bed. Maybe they landed on it. It seems unlikely, but 'anything that
can go wrong will go wrong'. I wonder if they've checked. They might
prefer to check everywhere else first because if they're somewhere else
they might at least be able to do something to help.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230620143153.00007a27@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9606&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9606

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:31:53 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:31 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37:45 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> They've been missing about a day this time.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-titanic-submarine-sent-distress-30277280

<quotes>

There is now concern from some that the rescue operation isn't moving fast enough.

David Concannon, an attorney and explorer who pulled out of the trip at the last minute, has slammed the US government for holding up rescue efforts due to paperwork.

He said the group that did the advanced survey of the Titanic last year has been sat on the tarmac in the Guernsey Islands, waiting for authorisation to move.

Despite the fact there's a ship ready to take them to the site, Mr Concannon said it was "unacceptable" how slow the US authorities were moving.

He told NewsNation: "We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now."

</quotes>

A sadly all too familiar story.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<OmjkM.668$L836.31@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9608&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9608

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:13:49 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:13 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37:45 GMT
> TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> They've been missing about a day this time.
>
> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-titanic-submarine-sent-distress-30277280
>
> <quotes>
>
> There is now concern from some that the rescue operation isn't moving fast enough.
>
> David Concannon, an attorney and explorer who pulled out of the trip at the last minute, has slammed the US government for holding up rescue efforts due to paperwork.
>
> He said the group that did the advanced survey of the Titanic last year has been sat on the tarmac in the Guernsey Islands, waiting for authorisation to move.
>
> Despite the fact there's a ship ready to take them to the site, Mr Concannon said it was "unacceptable" how slow the US authorities were moving.
>
> He told NewsNation: "We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now."
>
> </quotes>
>
> A sadly all too familiar story.

Oh yes, lets rush in equipment that can do precisely nothing to save
them IF they are even found !
Lets hope Xiden isn't in charge, he won't do a thing unless there are
DNC donors aboard.

Being reported btw that it took them a full 8 hours to even report they
were missing, so they have no cause to complain about minutes and hours
being wasted.

They knew the risks which is why they had to sign a waiver that they
acknowledge that the trip to the bottom might well cost them their lives.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230620172815.000031bb@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9610&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9610

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:28:15 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:28 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:13:49 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:37:45 GMT
> > TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> They've been missing about a day this time.
> >
> > https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-titanic-submarine-sent-distress-30277280
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > There is now concern from some that the rescue operation isn't
> > moving fast enough.
> >
> > David Concannon, an attorney and explorer who pulled out of the
> > trip at the last minute, has slammed the US government for holding
> > up rescue efforts due to paperwork.
> >
> > He said the group that did the advanced survey of the Titanic last
> > year has been sat on the tarmac in the Guernsey Islands, waiting
> > for authorisation to move.
> >
> > Despite the fact there's a ship ready to take them to the site, Mr
> > Concannon said it was "unacceptable" how slow the US authorities
> > were moving.
> >
> > He told NewsNation: "We need to move. We do not have minutes or
> > hours. We need to move now."
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > A sadly all too familiar story.
> >
> Oh yes, lets rush in equipment that can do precisely nothing to save
> them IF they are even found !

At least the vessel they have can reach the depths the Titanic and the sub are suspected to be at where it's admitted that what is currently deployed cannot.

It seems they will need to use it anyway and the only reason it's not on route to being used is the inability of the US to get the paperwork done.

Your assertion that they could do "precisely nothing to save them" is just more of your made up shit.

> Being reported btw that it took them a full 8 hours to even report
> they were missing, so they have no cause to complain about minutes
> and hours being wasted.

That's pure vindictiveness - They didn't announce their situation quickly enough for you so fuck them, even if they could be saved.

I don't know if 8 hours is too long for 'lost contact' to be deemed 'missing' but nor do you.

Given they had 96 hours of oxygen on-board it doesn't seem an excessively long time to keep hoping it was simply 'lost contact'. It lost them less than 10% of the rescue time, with at least 90% remaining.

US paperwork delays appear to have cost Concannon's team all the time they could have put into rescuing the crew and passengers.

> They knew the risks which is why they had to sign a waiver that they
> acknowledge that the trip to the bottom might well cost them their
> lives.

So that's another fuck them.

Why are you always so quick to want to see people die ?

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<erlkM.4326$1CTd.1980@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9612&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9612

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:35:05 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:35 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:13:49 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> The Happy Hippy wrote:

>>> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-titanic-submarine-sent-distress-30277280
>>>
>>> <quotes>
>>>
>>> There is now concern from some that the rescue operation isn't
>>> moving fast enough.
>>>
>>> David Concannon, an attorney and explorer who pulled out of the
>>> trip at the last minute, has slammed the US government for holding
>>> up rescue efforts due to paperwork.
>>>
>>> He said the group that did the advanced survey of the Titanic last
>>> year has been sat on the tarmac in the Guernsey Islands, waiting
>>> for authorisation to move.
>>>
>>> Despite the fact there's a ship ready to take them to the site, Mr
>>> Concannon said it was "unacceptable" how slow the US authorities
>>> were moving.
>>>
>>> He told NewsNation: "We need to move. We do not have minutes or
>>> hours. We need to move now."
>>>
>>> </quotes>
>>>
>>> A sadly all too familiar story.
>>>
>> Oh yes, lets rush in equipment that can do precisely nothing to save
>> them IF they are even found !
>
> At least the vessel they have can reach the depths the Titanic and the sub are suspected to be at where it's admitted that what is currently deployed cannot.
>
> It seems they will need to use it anyway and the only reason it's not on route to being used is the inability of the US to get the paperwork done.
>
> Your assertion that they could do "precisely nothing to save them" is just more of your made up shit.
>

>> Being reported btw that it took them a full 8 hours to even report
>> they were missing, so they have no cause to complain about minutes
>> and hours being wasted.
>
> That's pure vindictiveness - They didn't announce their situation quickly enough for you so fuck them, even if they could be saved.
>
> I don't know if 8 hours is too long for 'lost contact' to be deemed 'missing' but nor do you.
>
> Given they had 96 hours of oxygen on-board it doesn't seem an excessively long time to keep hoping it was simply 'lost contact'. It lost them less than 10% of the rescue time, with at least 90% remaining.
>
> US paperwork delays appear to have cost Concannon's team all the time they could have put into rescuing the crew and passengers.
>

>> They knew the risks which is why they had to sign a waiver that they
>> acknowledge that the trip to the bottom might well cost them their
>> lives.
>
> So that's another fuck them.
>
> Why are you always so quick to want to see people die ?

You are a pure retard, and are the one barging in with muslim jokes in
[what was] a serious discussion between 2 adults - Anything you are part
of is farcical.

Its not complex, the equipment to pull off a rescue at those depths does
not exist, its called "Reality", something you wingnuts always have a
problem with.
If they miraculously made it to the surface and are bobbing around
waiting to be found, there is plenty of equipment on hand searching
already while you sit on your flat ass whining, too bad it wasn't you
manning the joystick

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230620195133.00002b2f@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9614&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9614

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:51:33 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 18:51 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:35:05 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> You are a pure retard, and are the one barging in with muslim jokes

It was a serious question. You and others have claimed that MH370 was deliberately self-hijacked by the pilot who decided to commit suicide and take his passengers with him, so it's a legitimate possibility a submersible pilot may do the same.

> Its not complex, the equipment to pull off a rescue at those depths
> does not exist

Depends on what the issue is.

There are other subs which can get down to that depth so, if the sub has got entangled in the wreckage, another may be able to pull or push it out, untangle it, whereupon it could simply rise to the surface. Mission accomplished.

Unfortunately it seems one sub which could get to that depth is being prevented from doing so has by a US delay in processing paperwork and it appears their opportunity has now been lost.

> its called "Reality"

No, it's your imagined reality.

While the odds of being rescued may be low it's not zero.

> too bad it wasn't you manning the joystick

You really are deplorable scum.

But all fascists are, it's in their DNA.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<RZmkM.5981$zcM5.2499@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9616&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9616

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:20:16 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:20 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:35:05 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> You are a pure retard, and are the one barging in with muslim jokes
>
> It was a serious question. You and others have claimed that MH370 was deliberately self-hijacked by the pilot who decided to commit suicide and take his passengers with him, so it's a legitimate possibility a submersible pilot may do the same.

Far from a serious question, you know it,so do I.
There are reams of evidence pointing to a suicidal captain in the case
of 370, including transponders manually switched off, course/altitude
changes that only a human could have done, and him just happened to have
practiced flying to the middle of nowhere over the Indian ocean on his
simulator months in advance.

It is only rank conspiracy theorists like YOU that muddy the waters with
asinine claims of being shot down by the US.

>> Its not complex, the equipment to pull off a rescue at those depths
>> does not exist
>
> Depends on what the issue is.
>
> There are other subs which can get down to that depth so,

If by "subs" you mean manned subs, no there isn't.

> if the sub has got entangled in the wreckage, another may be able to pull or push it out, untangle it, whereupon it could simply rise to the surface. Mission accomplished.

Oh yeah simple, to a simpleton.
It would be a massive challenge requiring pure luck to even find it,
much less untangle it with a robotic vehicle which was in no way shape
or form designed for salvage work ,, And no one knows if it could
magically rise by itself or would need to be hauled out with a 3 mile
cable, and all the while, risks becoming entangled itself, yeah real simple.

> Unfortunately it seems one sub which could get to that depth is being prevented from doing so has by a US delay in processing paperwork and it appears their opportunity has now been lost.

Well yeah too bad then they didn't report it earlier, search would have
started earlier but they were more concerned with saving face and hoping
against hope it would just pop to the surface.

What resources are the UK employing to aid this effort ?
ZERO would be the answer. This is a US company, vehicle and rescue op,
why are you even taking sides [save for you usual habit of taking the
idiot angle by default]

>> its called "Reality"
>
> No, it's your imagined reality.
>
> While the odds of being rescued may be low it's not zero.
>

>> too bad it wasn't you manning the joystick
>
> You really are deplorable scum.
>
> But all fascists are, it's in their DNA.

Thank you, pissing off a wingnut is a sure sign of being on the right track

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230620204345.00006692@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9618&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9618

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:43:45 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:43 UTC

JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> Its not complex, the equipment to pull off a rescue at those depths
> does not exist

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12213507/Titanic-sub-rescue-Inside-race-against-time-missing-submersible.html

<quotes>

The only likely rescue would come from an un-crewed vehicle - essentially an underwater drone. The US Navy have one they used to salvage a crashed F-35 Joint Strike Fighter in about 12,400 feet in the South China Sea in early 2022. The US Navy also has a Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System (FADOSS), which can recover items using a winch from 21,000ft depths.

There is also a privately owned two-man sub called Limiting Factor. In 2019 the explorer Victor Vescovo used it to become the first person to reach the deepest point in all five oceans.

Stephen McGinty, author of The Dive: The Untold Story of the World's Deepest Submarine Rescue, told Sky News there is 'no reason' why crews could not use 'a remote controlled vehicle' to attach a rescue line to Titan.

</quotes>

No, no, no, Stephen - Jesse says you are wrong, says the equipment which could be used doesn't exist.

> its called "Reality"

As I said; it's your invented reality.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230621121936.00001bc2@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9652&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9652

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:19:36 +0100
<RZmkM.5981$zcM5.2499@fx11.iad>
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:19 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:20:16 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> What resources are the UK employing to aid this effort ?
> ZERO would be the answer.

Wrong again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

<quotes>

Magellan, a British firm that specialises in deep ocean investigations and recovery operations, has said it is supporting the rescue mission for the Titan.

Magellan said it was contacted by OceanGate early on Monday and "immediately offered our knowledge of the specific site and also our expertise operating at depth considerably in advance of what is required for this incident".

"We have been working full-time with UK and US agencies to secure the necessary air support to move our specialist equipment and support crew.

"We are ready to support, and we are fully mobilised to help," the firm said.

</quotes>

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<zDBkM.35377$8uge.8175@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9653&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9653

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:00:31 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:00 UTC

The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:20:16 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> What resources are the UK employing to aid this effort ?
>> ZERO would be the answer.
>
> Wrong again.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941
>
> <quotes>
>
> Magellan, a British firm that specialises in deep ocean investigations and recovery operations, has said it is supporting the rescue mission for the Titan.
>
> Magellan said it was contacted by OceanGate early on Monday and "immediately offered our knowledge of the specific site and also our expertise operating at depth considerably in advance of what is required for this incident".
>
> "We have been working full-time with UK and US agencies to secure the necessary air support to move our specialist equipment and support crew.
>
> "We are ready to support, and we are fully mobilised to help," the firm said.
>
> </quotes>

Right [again], as usual, by your own link - Wanting to help, hoping to
help, standing ready to help, is not actually helping.

ZERO resources from the UK, as stated.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230621140206.000012a2@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9654&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9654

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:02:06 +0100
<RZmkM.5981$zcM5.2499@fx11.iad>
<20230621121936.00001bc2@ntlworld.invalid>
<zDBkM.35377$8uge.8175@fx14.iad>
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:02 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:00:31 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:20:16 -0400
> > JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
> >
> >> What resources are the UK employing to aid this effort ?
> >> ZERO would be the answer.
> >
> > Wrong again.
> >
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > Magellan, a British firm that specialises in deep ocean
> > investigations and recovery operations, has said it is supporting
> > the rescue mission for the Titan.
> >
> > Magellan said it was contacted by OceanGate early on Monday and
> > "immediately offered our knowledge of the specific site and also
> > our expertise operating at depth considerably in advance of what is
> > required for this incident".
> >
> > "We have been working full-time with UK and US agencies to secure
> > the necessary air support to move our specialist equipment and
> > support crew.
> >
> > "We are ready to support, and we are fully mobilised to help," the
> > firm said.
> >
> > </quotes>
> >

> Right [again], as usual, by your own link - Wanting to help, hoping
> to help, standing ready to help, is not actually helping.

And ask yourself what's stopping them from helping ?

It seems to be another case of wanting to help but being prevented from helping. Perhaps another US paperwork delay ?

You are more than ready to criticise the 8 hour delay between losing contact and declaring the craft missing, but you are completely unwilling to criticise days of delay in letting those who could help do so.

It would be an absolute tragedy if they could have been saved but were lost because of US paperwork delays.

I expect that's why some are already trying to blame OceanGate to deflect criticism directed at US authorities.

As I said, sadly it's an all too familiar story.

People who could have been saved were left to die after the Manchester Arena bombing because paramedics and doctors were prevented from providing the assistance they were offering to provide.

Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site

<20230622121247.0000228b@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9693&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#9693

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:12:47 +0100
<RZmkM.5981$zcM5.2499@fx11.iad>
<20230621121936.00001bc2@ntlworld.invalid>
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:12 UTC

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/titanic-submarine-missing-magellan-search-b2361519.html

<quotes>

The US Coastguard has rejected an offer of help from a UK firm which experts say may provide the "best hope" of finding the missing Titanic submarine, as the window of opportunity to rescue the five onboard rapidly closes.

British company Magellan Limited has had a deep-sea submersible craft "ready to support" the rescue mission since early on Monday, with the ability to reach depths of 6,000 metres and prior experience of visiting the Titanic wreckage site.

But the US First Coast Guard District told The Independent it has not requested assistance from the firm as the vessel, currently sat on a plane awaiting US clearance to be deployed, is too far away.

</quotes>

There are serious questions being asked about the way USCG has carried out their so-called rescue operation, why they wouldn't invite or give approval to those who had the equipment and experience to help in the search and rescue operation, ran the clock down so those who could have helped can no longer do so.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: "Tourist submarine" goes missing at Titanic wreck site