Blend until smooth.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment passswldx...@gmail.com
+* "What a total pillock"Spike
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment passswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment passswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment passJNugent
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment passswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment passswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

<18ccb51d-4ab5-475a-9c16-1a9d94e79f70n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9735&group=uk.rec.cycling#9735

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 03:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 10:35 UTC

What a total pillock - well done police.

A punishment pass features in today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series, and the question, as ever, is why on earth would someone behind the wheel of an SUV put someone else ar risk like that?

The footage was shot by road.cc reader Kionne, who told us: “I found myself on a heavily chipped sealed road which I had no choice but to continue on, chips were very deep and I’d already nearly crashed because of them.

“I decided to ride where the loose chips were least deep and as I could keep well above the temporary 20mph speed limit I didn’t think I’d be impeding any motorists but that didn’t satisfy this man.

“West Mercia sent him a warning letter, not sure if that was for speeding, improper use of the horn, close passing a cyclist or overtaking on a newly chip sealed road which I think may be prohibited?

“On the same ride I had a very dangerous close pass, for many reasons the motorist is in the process of being prosecuted. A registration check revealed the below,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-769-punishment-pass-292777

"What a total pillock"

<jec9edFbcaeU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9741&group=uk.rec.cycling#9741

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: "What a total pillock"
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:19:25 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:19 UTC

On 15/05/2022 10:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> What a total pillock

> A punishment pass features in today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series, and the question, as ever, is why on earth would someone behind the wheel of an SUV put someone else ar risk like that?
> The footage was shot by road.cc reader Kionne, who told us: “I found myself on a heavily chipped sealed road which I had no choice but to continue on

"What a total pillock"

Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

> chips were very deep and I’d already nearly crashed because of them.

"What a total pillock"

Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

> “I decided to ride where the loose chips were least deep and as I could keep well above the temporary 20mph speed limit

"What a total pillock"

Whatever did he think the speed limit was for?

So he's riding on a road with a new, loose surface; he's already nearly
crashed; and he's over the speed limit.

That's three mistakes.

Who was it mentioned the phrase 'total pillock'?

>I didn’t think I’d be impeding any motorists but that didn’t satisfy this man.

Safety tip: Never assume anything about other road users.

That's four mistakes

> “West Mercia sent him a warning letter, not sure if that was for speeding, improper use of the horn, close passing a cyclist or overtaking on a newly chip sealed road which I think may be prohibited?

> “On the same ride I had a very dangerous close pass, for many reasons the motorist is in the process of being prosecuted. A registration check revealed the below,” he added.

> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-769-punishment-pass-292777

Perhaps a Cycling Awareness Course for this rider?

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

<10b7cd0d-03ae-47fa-84ce-dd8fad1437ecn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9746&group=uk.rec.cycling#9746

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 05:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:54 UTC

On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 11:35:23 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> What a total pillock - well done police.
improper use of the horn, close passing a cyclist or overtaking on a newly chip sealed road which I think may be prohibited?

> “On the same ride I had a very dangerous close pass, for many reasons the motorist is in the process of being prosecuted. A registration check revealed the below,” he added.

Ride On | 131 posts | 4 hours ago
1 like
A registration check revealed the below,” he added....

I can't wait for the next exciting episode, what did it reveal?

reply quote

Keykey1985 replied to Ride On | 3 posts | 4 hours ago
4 likes

This actually related to a separate close pass where the vehicle in question was SORN and MOT expired in Jan 2013! Video to follow...

Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

<58a33d93-4caa-4da0-a094-9d6eb9fd0c79n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9755&group=uk.rec.cycling#9755

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 09:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:09 UTC

eburtthebike | 3157 posts | 18 hours ago
5 likes

Such utterly crass, inconsiderate, dangerous speeding driving should get more than a warning letter; points on licence and a large fine at least. Since the cyclist was doing more than the 20mph speed limit, the car was clearly doing much more than that, probably between 30-40mph, and there was considerable likelihood of throwing up some gravel into the cyclist's face and eyes. It was also deliberate, otherwise why sound the horn?

On second thoughts, a large fine and a 12-month ban.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

<jecnbhFdug9U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9756&group=uk.rec.cycling#9756

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 17:16:49 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:16 UTC

On 15/05/2022 05:09 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:> eburtthebike | 3157
posts | 18 hours ago
> 5 likes
>
> Such utterly crass, inconsiderate, dangerous speeding driving should get more than a warning letter; points on licence and a large fine at least. Since the cyclist was doing more than the 20mph speed limit, the car was clearly doing much more than that, probably between 30-40mph, and there was considerable likelihood of throwing up some gravel into the cyclist's face and eyes. It was also deliberate, otherwise why sound the horn?
>
> On second thoughts, a large fine and a 12-month ban.

Why do you continually come up with that level of idiocy?

You surely must have won the bet by now.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

<93daacc8-0f6f-4e8f-a0fa-b154f1d325fen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9757&group=uk.rec.cycling#9757

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 09:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:59 UTC

zideriup replied to Sjl | 11 posts | 18 hours ago
16 likes

'Riding in the middle of the road is not safe and just enrages drivers unnecessarily'

Why do you deem the emotional state of drivers to be on cyclists?
If you get into a car and get so 'enraged' over the presence of another road user legally using the public highway in a way you otherwise don't personally agree with, that's on you and you only. Tough shit.

PLUS READ THE NEW HIGHWAY CODE.

Re: "What a total pillock"

<jed03cFfkirU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9759&group=uk.rec.cycling#9759

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: "What a total pillock"
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 18:46:03 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 15 May 2022 18:46 UTC

On 15/05/2022 12:19, Spike wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 10:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> What a total pillock

>> A punishment pass features in today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series, and the question, as ever, is why on earth would someone behind the wheel of an SUV put someone else ar risk like that?
>> The footage was shot by road.cc reader Kionne, who told us: “I found myself on a heavily chipped sealed road which I had no choice but to continue on

> "What a total pillock"

> Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

>> chips were very deep and I’d already nearly crashed because of them.

> "What a total pillock"

> Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

>> “I decided to ride where the loose chips were least deep and as I could keep well above the temporary 20mph speed limit

> "What a total pillock"

> Whatever did he think the speed limit was for?

> So he's riding on a road with a new, loose surface; he's already nearly
> crashed; and he's over the speed limit.

> That's three mistakes.

> Who was it mentioned the phrase 'total pillock'?

>> I didn’t think I’d be impeding any motorists but that didn’t satisfy this man.

> Safety tip: Never assume anything about other road users.

> That's four mistakes

>> “West Mercia sent him a warning letter, not sure if that was for speeding, improper use of the horn, close passing a cyclist or overtaking on a newly chip sealed road which I think may be prohibited?

>> “On the same ride I had a very dangerous close pass, for many reasons the motorist is in the process of being prosecuted. A registration check revealed the below,” he added.

>> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-769-punishment-pass-292777

> Perhaps a Cycling Awareness Course for this rider?

On second thoughts, a large fine and a 12-month ban.

Sauce for the goose, etc.

--
Spike

Re: "What a total pillock"

<jed06fFfkirU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9761&group=uk.rec.cycling#9761

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 18:47:43 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 15 May 2022 18:47 UTC

On 15/05/2022 18:46, Spike wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 12:19, Spike wrote:
>> On 15/05/2022 10:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> What a total pillock

>>> A punishment pass features in today's video in our Near Miss of the Day series, and the question, as ever, is why on earth would someone behind the wheel of an SUV put someone else ar risk like that?
>>> The footage was shot by road.cc reader Kionne, who told us: “I found myself on a heavily chipped sealed road which I had no choice but to continue on

>> "What a total pillock"

>> Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

>>> chips were very deep and I’d already nearly crashed because of them.

>> "What a total pillock"

>> Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

>>> “I decided to ride where the loose chips were least deep and as I could keep well above the temporary 20mph speed limit

>> "What a total pillock"

>> Whatever did he think the speed limit was for?

>> So he's riding on a road with a new, loose surface; he's already nearly
>> crashed; and he's over the speed limit.

>> That's three mistakes.

>> Who was it mentioned the phrase 'total pillock'?

>>> I didn’t think I’d be impeding any motorists but that didn’t satisfy this man.

>> Safety tip: Never assume anything about other road users.

>> That's four mistakes

>>> “West Mercia sent him a warning letter, not sure if that was for speeding, improper use of the horn, close passing a cyclist or overtaking on a newly chip sealed road which I think may be prohibited?

>>> “On the same ride I had a very dangerous close pass, for many reasons the motorist is in the process of being prosecuted. A registration check revealed the below,” he added.

>>> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-769-punishment-pass-292777

>> Perhaps a Cycling Awareness Course for this rider?

> On second thoughts, a large fine and a 12-month ban.

> Sauce for the goose, etc.

PLUS READ THE NEW HIGHWAY CODE

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 769: Punishment pass

<7a7ea630-b0fc-4a93-850e-1403c9133c71n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9762&group=uk.rec.cycling#9762

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 11:48:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 18:48 UTC

It is an aggrevating factor in any inconsiderate driving (which the using the horn in passing was) but in it's own is it inconsiderate driving.... I'm less sure.

In a more extreme example if a driver goes round a corner which has an advisory speed limit of say 30 on a NSL road at 60mph..... is that careless/inconsiderate driving on its own? But if as a result of that action they lose control and crash into another vehicle then it is an aggrevating factor.

If the driver had simply passed the cyclist without sounding the horn would this have even been submitted? The driver was fully onto the other side of the lane. They had limited space to go any further from the cyclist.... or if they did they would probably be driving in the deeper chips in the middle of the opposite lane resulting in being less in control and possibly showering the cyclist in chips.