The fact that it works is immaterial. -- L. Ogborn

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Infrastructure dangerTim Streater
+* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerChris Hogg
|+* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerBob Henson
||+- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerAndy Burns
||`- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerColin Bignell
|`- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerS Viemeister
+- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerRod Speed
+* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerFredxx
|+- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerTim Streater
|`* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerTim Streater
| `* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerFredxx
|  `* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerRod Speed
|   `* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerJohn Walliker
|    `- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerRod Speed
`* Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerBrian
 `- Re: OT: Infrastructure dangerThe Natural Philosopher

1
OT: Infrastructure danger

<kbhvljFhq65U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97356&group=uk.d-i-y#97356

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Infrastructure danger
Date: 4 May 2023 15:01:07 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Thu, 4 May 2023 15:01 UTC

I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
mapping.

--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy Microsoft because the IBM Selectric didn't suck much" - P Seebach, afc

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<e8q75ihbnft4c0bt92onk0190tklm02dre@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97365&group=uk.d-i-y#97365

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: Infrastructure danger
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 18:27:26 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 4 May 2023 17:27 UTC

On 4 May 2023 15:01:07 GMT, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

>I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
>danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
>posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
>business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
>mapping.

Putin is totally devious and untrustworthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the recent so-called drone attack on the
Kremlin wasn't a Russian fabrication. Has Ukraine got drones with that
sort of range? I don't know, but it would be very simple for the
Russians to fly a drone fitted with a small explosive charge over the
Kremlin and detonate it locally, making sure it was filmed.

--
Chris

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<kbi95eFj3k5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97367&group=uk.d-i-y#97367

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 18:43:10 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 4 May 2023 17:43 UTC

On 4.5.23 6:27 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On 4 May 2023 15:01:07 GMT, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
>>danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
>>posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
>>business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
>>mapping.
>
> Putin is totally devious and untrustworthy.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the recent so-called drone attack on the
> Kremlin wasn't a Russian fabrication. Has Ukraine got drones with that
> sort of range? I don't know, but it would be very simple for the
> Russians to fly a drone fitted with a small explosive charge over the
> Kremlin and detonate it locally, making sure it was filmed.

It can see no possibility that it was anything else but a Putin put-up
job. The explosion was about the size of a Bonfire Night Firework and
appeared, from the pictures, to do no damage whatever. As you remark -
how odd that someone should have a fairly high quality camera (it was
not a phone) lined up on it at the exact moment. I've never seen a
clearer fake.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<kbi9ajFj8joU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97368&group=uk.d-i-y#97368

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 18:45:57 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Thu, 4 May 2023 17:45 UTC

On 04/05/2023 18:27, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On 4 May 2023 15:01:07 GMT, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
>> danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
>> posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
>> business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
>> mapping.
>
> Putin is totally devious and untrustworthy.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the recent so-called drone attack on the
> Kremlin wasn't a Russian fabrication. Has Ukraine got drones with that
> sort of range? I don't know, but it would be very simple for the
> Russians to fly a drone fitted with a small explosive charge over the
> Kremlin and detonate it locally, making sure it was filmed.

Echos of the Reichstag fire?

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<op.14flj9zebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97372&group=uk.d-i-y#97372

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 03:58:47 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 4 May 2023 17:58 UTC

On Fri, 05 May 2023 01:01:07 +1000, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk>
wrote:

> I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
> danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea
> pipelines,
> posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
> business

Can't see why he would have blown it up.

> and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
> mapping.

Unlikely he would be doing that so obviously.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<kbicpkFjqfqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97374&group=uk.d-i-y#97374

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 19:45:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 4 May 2023 18:45 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> It can see no possibility that it was anything else but a Putin put-up
> job. The explosion was about the size of a Bonfire Night Firework and
> appeared, from the pictures, to do no damage whatever. As you remark -
> how odd that someone should have a fairly high quality camera (it was
> not a phone) lined up on it at the exact moment.

There were two strikes, after the first one some workmen were climbing
onto the roof when the second one hit, and presumably the filming
started after the first hit ...

> I've never seen a clearer fake.

I still suspect they were russian put-up jobs

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPsCTnKfrg>

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<7P6cncFNf4hIYM75nZ2dnZeNn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97375&group=uk.d-i-y#97375

Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 19:50:57 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 4 May 2023 18:50 UTC

On 04/05/2023 18:43, Bob Henson wrote:
> On 4.5.23 6:27 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On 4 May 2023 15:01:07 GMT, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
>>> danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea
>>> pipelines,
>>> posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
>>> business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
>>> mapping.
>>
>> Putin is totally devious and untrustworthy.
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if the recent so-called drone attack on the
>> Kremlin wasn't a Russian fabrication. Has Ukraine got drones with that
>> sort of range? I don't know, but it would be very simple for the
>> Russians to fly a drone fitted with a small explosive charge over the
>> Kremlin and detonate it locally, making sure it was filmed.
>>

> It can see no possibility that it was anything else but a Putin put-up
> job. The explosion was about the size of a Bonfire Night Firework and
> appeared, from the pictures, to do no damage whatever. As you remark -
> how odd that someone should have a fairly high quality camera (it was
> not a phone) lined up on it at the exact moment.

I would consider it more than likely that The Kremlin is under constant
video surveillance from multiple high quality CCTV cameras.

I've never seen a

--
Colin Bignell

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<u31684$1vmk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97388&group=uk.d-i-y#97388

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 21:57:41 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Thu, 4 May 2023 20:57 UTC

On 04/05/2023 16:01, Tim Streater wrote:
> I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
> danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
> posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
> business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
> mapping.

I don't believe a lot of the claims made. In much the same way the
Lockerbie bomb was blamed on Iran until they made some deal with the US.

Furthermore Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was released only if he retreated his
appeal and didn't publish the new evidence.

The smart thinking surrounding Nordstream implies it was Ukrainian forces.

The other thought is that it was US forces following Joe Biden's threat
the pipeline would be shut down:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11727691/U-S-carried-Nord-Stream-bomb-attack-secret-plan-led-Joe-Biden-report-claims.html

Anyway, what would be the Russian advantage be if the pipeline was
shutdown? If there was evidence of Russian involvement more information
would have been published, including names.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<u316cg$1vr1v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97391&group=uk.d-i-y#97391

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 21:00:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KhUjEnqFFHcuMZpSezHpN/bbLMM=
 by: Brian - Thu, 4 May 2023 21:00 UTC

Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
> I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
> danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
> posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
> business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
> mapping.

I don’t doubt Putin is a serious threat to the West but we face a more
immediate threat from his useful idiots / supports in the Unions / ER /
JSO/ etc.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<kbil3uFl1frU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97392&group=uk.d-i-y#97392

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 4 May 2023 21:07:10 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Thu, 4 May 2023 21:07 UTC

On 04 May 2023 at 21:57:41 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> Anyway, what would be the Russian advantage be if the pipeline was
> shutdown? If there was evidence of Russian involvement more information
> would have been published, including names.

The advantage to the Russians is that since they own it, no one could complain
if they were actually fingered for the job. So it made a perfect place to
practice and perfect their techniques for this sort of underwater sabotage.

As the Times put it, if they do in one of our on-shore power stations with a
missile, that's a clear act of war. If they blow up the volts interconnectors
they can deny it was them. I didn't say it had been proved that the Nordstream
thing *was* done by the Russians, but that's another thing they were testing:
could they blow it up and get away with it? So far they have, if you believe
the reports.

--
First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your oppressors. - George Orwell

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<kbiljmFl3koU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97393&group=uk.d-i-y#97393

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 4 May 2023 21:15:34 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Thu, 4 May 2023 21:15 UTC

On 04 May 2023 at 21:57:41 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> The smart thinking surrounding Nordstream implies it was Ukrainian forces.

What, the Ukranian navy you mean? Sent a stealth ship from Odessa across the
Black Sea, past Istanbul, out to the Med via the Dardanelles, across the Med,
past Gibraltar, up past Portugal, Spain, France to the North Sea, round
Denmark and finally into the Baltic to do the dirty? And nobody noticed? Wow,
that's *some* stealth ship!

Hint: the Danes and others report that the ships behaving suspiciously around
the Nordstream area were Russian.

--
When it becomes serious, you have to lie.

Jean-Claude Juncker, Reuters 31st May 2013.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<u318af$20095$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97395&group=uk.d-i-y#97395

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 22:33:04 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Thu, 4 May 2023 21:33 UTC

On 04/05/2023 22:15, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 04 May 2023 at 21:57:41 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>
>> The smart thinking surrounding Nordstream implies it was Ukrainian forces.
>
> What, the Ukranian navy you mean? Sent a stealth ship from Odessa across the
> Black Sea, past Istanbul, out to the Med via the Dardanelles, across the Med,
> past Gibraltar, up past Portugal, Spain, France to the North Sea, round
> Denmark and finally into the Baltic to do the dirty? And nobody noticed? Wow,
> that's *some* stealth ship!

Oh dear. Any argument has quickly ventured into the ridiculous category.

> Hint: the Danes and others report that the ships behaving suspiciously around
> the Nordstream area were Russian.

There were "dark boats" in that area that had their transponders turned
off that were conveniently chartered by unknown players.

Either way, whoever did it was far smarter that anyone suggesting the
attackers would sail a boat from Odessa to do their dirty work in the
Baltic.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<op.14fywh2nbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97399&group=uk.d-i-y#97399

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 08:46:55 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 4 May 2023 22:46 UTC

On Fri, 05 May 2023 07:33:04 +1000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> On 04/05/2023 22:15, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 04 May 2023 at 21:57:41 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> The smart thinking surrounding Nordstream implies it was Ukrainian
>>> forces.
>> What, the Ukranian navy you mean? Sent a stealth ship from Odessa
>> across the
>> Black Sea, past Istanbul, out to the Med via the Dardanelles, across
>> the Med,
>> past Gibraltar, up past Portugal, Spain, France to the North Sea, round
>> Denmark and finally into the Baltic to do the dirty? And nobody
>> noticed? Wow,
>> that's *some* stealth ship!
>
> Oh dear. Any argument has quickly ventured into the ridiculous category.
>
>> Hint: the Danes and others report that the ships behaving suspiciously
>> around
>> the Nordstream area were Russian.
>
> There were "dark boats" in that area that had their transponders turned
> off that were conveniently chartered by unknown players.

IMO it is most likely the russians are looking for evidence of who blew it
up.

> Either way, whoever did it was far smarter that anyone suggesting the
> attackers would sail a boat from Odessa to do their dirty work in the
> Baltic.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<u31iel$21dt2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97407&group=uk.d-i-y#97407

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 01:25:57 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 5 May 2023 00:25 UTC

On 04/05/2023 22:00, Brian wrote:
> Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>> I see from reports in the Times today that we've at last woken up to the
>> danger to internet cables, volts interconnects, and any undersea pipelines,
>> posed by Putin. Seems that he is now the chief suspect in the Nordstream
>> business and various of his naval vessels have been observed doing cable
>> mapping.
>>

> I don’t doubt Putin is a serious threat to the West but we face a more
> immediate threat from his useful idiots / supports in the Unions / ER /
> JSO/ etc.

And the remoaner and EU movement

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<3428be21-c544-4005-ac13-d2c4fad32f51n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97460&group=uk.d-i-y#97460

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 04:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Fri, 5 May 2023 11:37 UTC

On Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 23:47:03 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2023 07:33:04 +1000, Fredxx <fre...@spam.uk> wrote:

> >> What, the Ukranian navy you mean? Sent a stealth ship from Odessa
> >> across the
> >> Black Sea, past Istanbul, out to the Med via the Dardanelles, across
> >> the Med,
> >> past Gibraltar, up past Portugal, Spain, France to the North Sea, round
> >> Denmark and finally into the Baltic to do the dirty? And nobody
> >> noticed? Wow,
> >> that's *some* stealth ship!
> >
> > Oh dear. Any argument has quickly ventured into the ridiculous category.
> >
> >> Hint: the Danes and others report that the ships behaving suspiciously
> >> around
> >> the Nordstream area were Russian.
> >
> > There were "dark boats" in that area that had their transponders turned
> > off that were conveniently chartered by unknown players.
> IMO it is most likely the russians are looking for evidence of who blew it
> up.

That was very prescient of them to be looking for such evidence before the event!
John
> > Either way, whoever did it was far smarter that anyone suggesting the
> > attackers would sail a boat from Odessa to do their dirty work in the
> > Baltic.

Re: OT: Infrastructure danger

<op.14hi2ruqbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97530&group=uk.d-i-y#97530

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 05:00:17 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 5 May 2023 19:00 UTC

On Fri, 05 May 2023 21:37:24 +1000, John Walliker <jrwalliker@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 23:47:03 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

>> round
>> >
>> > Oh dear. Any argument has quickly ventured into the ridiculous
>> category.

>> suspiciously
>> >
>> > There were "dark boats" in that area that had their transponders
>> turned
>> > off that were conveniently chartered by unknown players.
>> IMO it is most likely the russians are looking for evidence of who blew
>> it
>> up.
>
> That was very prescient of them to be looking for such evidence before
> the event!

I thought someone was claiming that the russian boats
were doing that NOW, but since so much has been snipped
its hard to check that and I can't be bothered going back
over the entire thread.