You will have a long and boring life.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

SubjectAuthor
* Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)newshound
+* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)RobH
|`* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Jaimie Vandenbergh
| +* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)David
| |+- Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Robert Stevens
| |`- Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)RJH
| `* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)RobH
|  `* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Jaimie Vandenbergh
|   `- Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)David
`* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Philip Herlihy
 `* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)newshound
  `* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Philip Herlihy
   +* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Jeff Gaines
   |`* Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Philip Herlihy
   | `- Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)Jeff Gaines
   `- Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)newshound

1
Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<XbednfL7xtSCTD_9nZ2dnUU78b3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=934&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#934

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Subject: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 21:25:03 +0100
 by: newshound - Mon, 17 May 2021 20:25 UTC

I have a 7 year old Acer Aspire (i5, 1.6GHz, 4GB ram, spinning rust)
that has had more than adequate performance for my simple requirements,
primarily Excel and Word.

But after the last couple of Win10 upgrades it has been running like
treacle, perhaps because of the lack of RAM? I know I could add an SSD
but when I share that drive to a more meaty Dell desktop the performance
is fine. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the RAM but before I look into
that I wondered whether I should just accept that its days as a Win10
machine are past, and see what Raj and similar suppliers have to offer.

It's the machine I use for consultancy work so I'm reasonably careful
what sites I access, and there is no obvious sign of malware, etc.

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<igha6fFr91iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=936&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#936

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 08:54:55 +0100
 by: RobH - Tue, 18 May 2021 07:54 UTC

On 17/05/2021 21:25, newshound wrote:
> I have a 7 year old Acer Aspire (i5, 1.6GHz, 4GB ram, spinning rust)
> that has had more than adequate performance for my simple requirements,
> primarily Excel and Word.
>
> But after the last couple of Win10 upgrades it has been running like
> treacle, perhaps because of the lack of RAM? I know I could add an SSD
> but when I share that drive to a more meaty Dell desktop the performance
> is fine. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the RAM but before I look into
> that I wondered whether I should just accept that its days as a Win10
> machine are past, and see what Raj and similar suppliers have to offer.
>
> It's the machine I use for consultancy work so I'm reasonably careful
> what sites I access, and there is no obvious sign of malware, etc.

I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.

Also 4 Gb of ram is probably the bare minimum for windows 10 now.

For me, your best bet is to stick another 4Gb ram stick in. That's about
as good as you can do I'm afraid.

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<ighg2hFsd09U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=937&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#937

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 18 May 2021 09:35:13 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 18 May 2021 09:35 UTC

On 18 May 2021 at 08:54:55 BST, "RobH" <rob@despammer.com> wrote:

> On 17/05/2021 21:25, newshound wrote:
>> I have a 7 year old Acer Aspire (i5, 1.6GHz, 4GB ram, spinning rust)
>> that has had more than adequate performance for my simple requirements,
>> primarily Excel and Word.
>>
>> But after the last couple of Win10 upgrades it has been running like
>> treacle, perhaps because of the lack of RAM? I know I could add an SSD
>> but when I share that drive to a more meaty Dell desktop the performance
>> is fine. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the RAM but before I look into
>> that I wondered whether I should just accept that its days as a Win10
>> machine are past, and see what Raj and similar suppliers have to offer.
>>
>> It's the machine I use for consultancy work so I'm reasonably careful
>> what sites I access, and there is no obvious sign of malware, etc.
>
> I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
> laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.

You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.

> Also 4 Gb of ram is probably the bare minimum for windows 10 now.

Check to see if the Win10 is 32bit or 64bit, and if 64bit I'd also
recommend another 4 gig if you can. The SSD will make more of a
difference though.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Sent from my Amiga 1000

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<ighh6mFr5egU20@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=938&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#938

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 18 May 2021 09:54:30 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 18 May 2021 09:54 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:35:13 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> On 18 May 2021 at 08:54:55 BST, "RobH" <rob@despammer.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/05/2021 21:25, newshound wrote:
>>> I have a 7 year old Acer Aspire (i5, 1.6GHz, 4GB ram, spinning rust)
>>> that has had more than adequate performance for my simple
>>> requirements, primarily Excel and Word.
>>>
>>> But after the last couple of Win10 upgrades it has been running like
>>> treacle, perhaps because of the lack of RAM? I know I could add an
>>> SSD but when I share that drive to a more meaty Dell desktop the
>>> performance is fine. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the RAM but before
>>> I look into that I wondered whether I should just accept that its
>>> days as a Win10 machine are past, and see what Raj and similar
>>> suppliers have to offer.
>>>
>>> It's the machine I use for consultancy work so I'm reasonably careful
>>> what sites I access, and there is no obvious sign of malware, etc.
>>
>> I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
>> laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.
>
> You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.
>
>> Also 4 Gb of ram is probably the bare minimum for windows 10 now.
>
> Check to see if the Win10 is 32bit or 64bit, and if 64bit I'd also
> recommend another 4 gig if you can. The SSD will make more of a
> difference though.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Agree on the SSD.

My elderly Dell laptop with a Core 2 Duo was sluggish on spinning rust but
had a new life with an SSD.
Running 8.1 at the moment so not directly comparable, but an SSD is
generally the go to upgrade along with more memory.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<MPG.3b0da4d51505084c989938@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=939&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#939

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:18:30 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Tue, 18 May 2021 10:18 UTC

In article <XbednfL7xtSCTD_9nZ2dnUU78b3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
newshound@stevejqr.plus.com says...

> I have a 7 year old Acer Aspire (i5, 1.6GHz, 4GB ram, spinning rust)
> that has had more than adequate performance for my simple requirements,
> primarily Excel and Word.
>
> But after the last couple of Win10 upgrades it has been running like
> treacle, perhaps because of the lack of RAM? I know I could add an SSD
> but when I share that drive to a more meaty Dell desktop the performance
> is fine. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the RAM but before I look into
> that I wondered whether I should just accept that its days as a Win10
> machine are past, and see what Raj and similar suppliers have to offer.
>
> It's the machine I use for consultancy work so I'm reasonably careful
> what sites I access, and there is no obvious sign of malware, etc.

You can dig into your system and see what's going on with memory. Task Manager
will tell you most of it, but I prefer Sysinterals (now Microsoft) Process
Explorer. Download from www.sysinternals.com/live/procexp.exe (there is also a
..chm help file which is useful). I move to the \Windows folder, so I can
simply Run it from a command prompt or Winkey+R.

Open it, then View, System Information. The single most interesting figure
(not available in Task Manager) is the Peak Commit Charge - that's the maximum
momentary demand for memory the system and applications have made in the
current session. If that's more than your Physical Memory shown, then your
system is paging. If it's only a little more, then those little background
processes for apps you never use just get paged out, slowing startup a little.
But if it's more than 10% in excess (figure plucked wildly from the air) then
processing that should be whipping between the CPU and RAM is being delayed by
being shunted to and from the slowest component in the system - your spinning
disk. My guess is that your system will be over 4GB commit before you do
anything, though my old tablet, with 2GB RAM, is useable - just. But that
doesn't have to rely on a spinning disk!

An i5 processor, even of that vintage, is fairly sparky, so you'd likely see
noticeable improvements (conceivably dramatic improvements) in performance from
upgrading either the RAM or the disk - or both. Do a full "Disk Clean-up"
(including "Clean up system files" and More Options, System Restore and Shadow
copies) to see how much disk space you actually need. Then see how cheap an
SSD is these days. The sweet spot for price/capacity seems to be about 240GB,
at under £30. You need to be able to connect old and new disks to a single
system: USB 3.0 to SATA adapters work well enough, and one of the disks can be
in situ. (I have a dedicated dual-slot dock for this, connected via an E-SATA
port, though USB3 works well enough.) I've found USB 2 rather unreliable for
bulk writes (like cloning a disk) but maybe I've been whistling the wrong tune.

One common experience is that machines are very slow for the first few
(sometimes not so few) minutes after startup, as everything and its dog phones
home for updates while your antivirus runs. Sorting (in Task Manager or
Procexp) by CPU can be illuminating, and look again after half-an-hour. Of
course, uninstalling all the don't-need-ware will help, as can blocking auto-
start of all those background processes meant to make applications look nimble
- autoruns from Sysinternals is good for this.

--

Phil, London

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<s805rb$1vcs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=940&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#940

From: Roberts....@gmail.com (Robert Stevens)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:45:00 +0100
 by: Robert Stevens - Tue, 18 May 2021 10:45 UTC

On 18/05/2021 10:54, David wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:35:13 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

>>> I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
>>> laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.
>>
>> You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.
>>
>>> Also 4 Gb of ram is probably the bare minimum for windows 10 now.
>>
>> Check to see if the Win10 is 32bit or 64bit, and if 64bit I'd also
>> recommend another 4 gig if you can. The SSD will make more of a
>> difference though.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Agree on the SSD.
>
> My elderly Dell laptop with a Core 2 Duo was sluggish on spinning rust but
> had a new life with an SSD.
> Running 8.1 at the moment so not directly comparable, but an SSD is
> generally the go to upgrade along with more memory.
>
> Cheers

My W10 Aspire SandyBridge 4 gig, 1.3 Ghz. Is ok. I put an SSD in it
immediately after purchase.

I don't do much on it: browse, post this, video, but it seems much the
same as it has always been. I don't use office on it.

I just installed openoffice on it. Took a few minutes to install, starts
up at a reasonable speed.

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<s80chc$1dev$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=941&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#941

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:39:08 +0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 18 May 2021 12:39 UTC

On 18 May 2021 at 10:54:30 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:35:13 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

>>> I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
>>> laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.
>>
>> You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.
>>
>>> Also 4 Gb of ram is probably the bare minimum for windows 10 now.
>>
>> Check to see if the Win10 is 32bit or 64bit, and if 64bit I'd also
>> recommend another 4 gig if you can. The SSD will make more of a
>> difference though.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Agree on the SSD.

+1. it's pretty much a reflex for me nowadays.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<igi5gpF1vovU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=942&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#942

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 16:41:13 +0100
 by: RobH - Tue, 18 May 2021 15:41 UTC

On 18/05/2021 10:35, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 18 May 2021 at 08:54:55 BST, "RobH" <rob@despammer.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/05/2021 21:25, newshound wrote:
>>> I have a 7 year old Acer Aspire (i5, 1.6GHz, 4GB ram, spinning rust)
>>> that has had more than adequate performance for my simple requirements,
>>> primarily Excel and Word.
>>>
>>> But after the last couple of Win10 upgrades it has been running like
>>> treacle, perhaps because of the lack of RAM? I know I could add an SSD
>>> but when I share that drive to a more meaty Dell desktop the performance
>>> is fine. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the RAM but before I look into
>>> that I wondered whether I should just accept that its days as a Win10
>>> machine are past, and see what Raj and similar suppliers have to offer.
>>>
>>> It's the machine I use for consultancy work so I'm reasonably careful
>>> what sites I access, and there is no obvious sign of malware, etc.
>>
>> I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
>> laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.
>
> You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.

I think it made a difference of about 10 or 15 seconds on boot up time
when I tried an ssd against a spinning rust HD in my 12 year old laptop.
It does have 8Gb of ram tho'

That's why I said not much improvement.

> Cheers - Jaimie

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<u7OdnYwndYLvfT79nZ2dnUU78UnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=943&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#943

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 16:42:42 +0100
 by: newshound - Tue, 18 May 2021 15:42 UTC

On 18/05/2021 11:18, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> [...]
> system: USB 3.0 to SATA adapters work well enough, and one of the disks can be
> in situ. (I have a dedicated dual-slot dock for this, connected via an E-SATA
> port, though USB3 works well enough.) I've found USB 2 rather unreliable for
> bulk writes (like cloning a disk) but maybe I've been whistling the wrong tune.
>
> One common experience is that machines are very slow for the first few
> (sometimes not so few) minutes after startup, as everything and its dog phones
> home for updates while your antivirus runs. Sorting (in Task Manager or
> Procexp) by CPU can be illuminating, and look again after half-an-hour. Of
> course, uninstalling all the don't-need-ware will help, as can blocking auto-
> start of all those background processes meant to make applications look nimble
> - autoruns from Sysinternals is good for this.

Thanks all for the helpful comments. I'll give Sysinternals a try, and
pop it open to see if there is a free memory slot. I think I will do
that before checking for SSD options (but that was one of the upgrades I
gave my desktop).

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<igi62qF22u3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=944&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#944

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 18 May 2021 15:50:50 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 18 May 2021 15:50 UTC

On 18 May 2021 at 16:41:13 BST, "RobH" <rob@despammer.com> wrote:

> On 18/05/2021 10:35, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

>>> I doubt an ssd would give much improvement speed wise, as a 7 year old
>>> laptop probably doesn't have a SATA 3 connector.
>>
>> You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.
>>
> I think it made a difference of about 10 or 15 seconds on boot up time
> when I tried an ssd against a spinning rust HD in my 12 year old laptop.
> It does have 8Gb of ram tho'
>
> That's why I said not much improvement.

Huh. I'd expect more, certainly had more positive results than that on
all my kit.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use
as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<MPG.3b0eeaf593d93d8198993b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=947&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#947

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 10:29:58 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 19 May 2021 09:29 UTC

In article <u7OdnYwndYLvfT79nZ2dnUU78UnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
> [...]
> > port, though USB3 works well enough.) I've found USB 2 rather unreliable for
> > bulk writes (like cloning a disk) but maybe I've been whistling the wrong tune.
> >
> > One common experience is that machines are very slow for the first few
> > (sometimes not so few) minutes after startup, as everything and its dog phones
> > home for updates while your antivirus runs. Sorting (in Task Manager or
> > Procexp) by CPU can be illuminating, and look again after half-an-hour. Of
> > course, uninstalling all the don't-need-ware will help, as can blocking auto-
> > start of all those background processes meant to make applications look nimble
> > - autoruns from Sysinternals is good for this.
> >
> Thanks all for the helpful comments. I'll give Sysinternals a try, and
> pop it open to see if there is a free memory slot. I think I will do
> that before checking for SSD options (but that was one of the upgrades I

If you're lazy, the scanners from Crucial.com/uk and mrmemory.co.uk will tell
you what's already in your machine.

--

Phil, London

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<xn0my2lp0b3ve000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=948&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#948

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 09:34:40 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 09:34 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message
<MPG.3b0eeaf593d93d8198993b@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
wrote:

>>Thanks all for the helpful comments. I'll give Sysinternals a try, and
>>pop it open to see if there is a free memory slot. I think I will do
>>that before checking for SSD options (but that was one of the upgrades I
>>gave my desktop).
>
>If you're lazy, the scanners from Crucial.com/uk and mrmemory.co.uk will
>tell
>you what's already in your machine.

And perhaps more importantly what you can add - although Crucial don't
seem to sell it themselves nowadays, just refer you on?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<MPG.3b0eed5213a9c41c98993d@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=949&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#949

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 10:40:09 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 19 May 2021 09:40 UTC

In article <xn0my2lp0b3ve000@news.individual.net>, jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk
says...

> On 19/05/2021 in message
> <MPG.3b0eeaf593d93d8198993b@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
> wrote:
>
> >>Thanks all for the helpful comments. I'll give Sysinternals a try, and
> >>pop it open to see if there is a free memory slot. I think I will do
> >>that before checking for SSD options (but that was one of the upgrades I
> >>gave my desktop).
> >
> >If you're lazy, the scanners from Crucial.com/uk and mrmemory.co.uk will
> >tell
> >you what's already in your machine.
>
> And perhaps more importantly what you can add - although Crucial don't
> seem to sell it themselves nowadays, just refer you on?

I looked yesterday, and if I remember correctly "Where to Buy" gave options for
Crucial direct, Amazon, Ebuyer, CCL and BT Shop, depending on which module it
was.

--

Phil, London

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<xn0my2mhh1b5w4001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=950&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#950

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 10:02:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 10:02 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message
<MPG.3b0eed5213a9c41c98993d@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
wrote:

>In article <xn0my2lp0b3ve000@news.individual.net>,
>jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk
>says...
>>
>>On 19/05/2021 in message
>><MPG.3b0eeaf593d93d8198993b@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy

>>>If you're lazy, the scanners from Crucial.com/uk and mrmemory.co.uk will
>>>tell
>>>you what's already in your machine.
>>
>>And perhaps more importantly what you can add - although Crucial don't
>>seem to sell it themselves nowadays, just refer you on?
>
>I looked yesterday, and if I remember correctly "Where to Buy" gave
>options for
>Crucial direct, Amazon, Ebuyer, CCL and BT Shop, depending on which module
>it
>was.

Ahh, must depend on what you're after, my last purchase was for some
oldish big iron!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<eNednVLd644Ekzj9nZ2dnUU78b_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=964&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#964

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:11:53 +0100
 by: newshound - Wed, 19 May 2021 13:11 UTC

On 19/05/2021 10:29, Philip Herlihy wrote:

> If you're lazy, the scanners from Crucial.com/uk and mrmemory.co.uk will tell
> you what's already in your machine.

Thanks, I had always used Crucial in the past but last time I tried on
another machine it didn't work very well. It will be interesting to open
this one up for a look. (Actually I have two of them, one is a backup.
So I will start with that).

Re: Win10 upgrade problems (slightly OT)

<igmnndFr8fmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=977&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#977

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 20 May 2021 09:16:29 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 20 May 2021 09:16 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 15:50:50 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> On 18 May 2021 at 16:41:13 BST, "RobH" <rob@despammer.com> wrote:

>>> You'd be surprised, even on sata2 it makes a remarkable difference.
>>>
>> I think it made a difference of about 10 or 15 seconds on boot up time
>> when I tried an ssd against a spinning rust HD in my 12 year old
>> laptop.
>> It does have 8Gb of ram tho'
>>
>> That's why I said not much improvement.
>
> Huh. I'd expect more, certainly had more positive results than that on
> all my kit.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

I found one major gain in processing updates.

Performance monitor showed HDD maxed out for a very long time on spinning
rust, but there was a major improvement with an SSD.

Now looking at an all-in-one which is showing similar symptoms and waiting
for spare time (hah!) to swap out the HDD for an SSD.

Cheers

Dave R