From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Alex Hawke has released a statement announcing he has cancelled Novak
Djokovic's visa.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:59:25 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 06:59 UTC

Another appeal in the offering?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-14/novak-djokovic-updates-blog-visa-decision-alex-hawke/100755958

Immigration Minister cancels Novak Djokovic's visa, saying 'it was in
the public interest to do so'

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has cancelled the visa of tennis star
Novak Djokovic.

Djokovic was released from immigration detention earlier this week after
successfully challenging an earlier attempt to send him home.

However Mr Hawke has used his ministerial powers to cancel the visa of
the nine time Australian open winner.

In a statement, Mr Hakwe said he made the decision in the public interest.

"Today I exercised my power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act
to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order
grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.

"This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court
on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural
fairness grounds.

"In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to
me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr
Djokovic.

"The Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting Australia's
borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I thank the officers of the Department of Home Affairs and the
Australian Border Force who work every day to serve Australia's
interests in increasingly challenging operational environments."

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)