Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something. -- unknown source

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakesswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructorSpike
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructorswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructorSpike
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructorswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist

<f4d721f7-0c3a-495f-9f73-3c86ba0a377cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9774&group=uk.rec.cycling#9774

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:23:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes
learner towards oncoming cyclist
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 16 May 2022 16:23 UTC

What a total tosser - teaches moves like this as well.

Saturday morning was glorious for bike riding: blue skies, barely a cloud in the sky, hot (but not too hot), a gentle breeze...that is of course, unless you were riding along happily when a driving instructor (no, really) overtook a learner driver at a zebra crossing, narrowly returning to the right side of the road in time.

That is exactly what happened to road.cc reader Rendel on Dulwich Road in Brixton, south London, leaving him to ask, "Ever wondered why there are so many bad drivers?"

"Here the instructor overtakes a learner driver at high speed over a zebra crossing into the face of oncoming cyclists. Unbelievable."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-769-292809

Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist

<jeh546F95dfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9783&group=uk.rec.cycling#9783

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor
overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:36:22 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 17 May 2022 08:36 UTC

On 16/05/2022 16:23, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

I calculate that the cyclist was travelling at 17mph, nicely under the
20mph limit.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist

<6c76c67f-7abc-481f-875c-0266b253f211n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9786&group=uk.rec.cycling#9786

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 02:30:43 -0700 (PDT)
overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:30 UTC

OldRidgeback | 4023 posts | 36 min ago
2 likes

That's appalling driving. For a driving instructor to make that overtake is a real low. I hope that footage has been posted to the Met Police.

As a resident, I know Brixton extremely well. Dulwich Rd has always been pretty unsafe as the surface wears fast (the council usually gets cheap mill and fill repairs that only last a couple of years before it needs doing again) and it's narrow, with lots of side entrances. Drivers get frustrated with the buses stopping too as they generally can't overtake them. At peak periods it's awful. What's interesting here was that there didn't seem to be much traffic, so the overtake suggests real lack of care on the part of the driver.

After a few close calls, I avoided cycling along there for a long time (it's not even much fun on my motorbike). I was very pleased when the speed limit was reduced to 20mph a while back. As Railton Rd runs parallel and is an LTN, I generally cycle along there instead.

reply quote

Rendel Harris replied to OldRidgeback | 2382 posts | 12 min ago
0 likes
As I said below, the only reason I did not submit it to the police is because I know from experience they will not accept a complaint except from a person directly affected by the bad driving, in this instance that would be the learner driver. I have contacted RED driving school to show them the footage and indicated I would be happy to act as a witness if their instructor or pupil wishes to report it.

Railton Road is very definitely a nicer option, unfortunately as we are usually coming from East Dulwich/Peckham and heading towards Clapham Railton would take us quite a long way north of the shortest route. It's certainly not a nice road to ride along, you're right, especially with people pulling out of the sideroads with very little care, always glad when that section's over.

reply quote

Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist

<jehad8Fa4ftU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9789&group=uk.rec.cycling#9789

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:06:33 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:06 UTC

On 17/05/2022 09:30, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> OldRidgeback | 4023 posts | 36 min ago
> 2 likes

> As a resident, I know Brixton extremely well. Dulwich Rd has always been pretty unsafe as the surface wears fast (the council usually gets cheap mill and fill repairs that only last a couple of years before it needs doing again) and it's narrow, with lots of side entrances. Drivers get frustrated with the buses stopping too as they generally can't overtake them. At peak periods it's awful.

> After a few close calls, I avoided cycling along there for a long time (it's not even much fun on my motorbike). I was very pleased when the speed limit was reduced to 20mph a while back. As Railton Rd runs parallel and is an LTN, I generally cycle along there instead.

It's nice to see a sensible approach being used by a cyclist - sadly, it
seems to happen all too infrequently.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 770: "Unbelievable" driving instructor overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist

<59517f55-aa60-40c7-9d4d-e46aa9e82164n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9792&group=uk.rec.cycling#9792

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 05:56:40 -0700 (PDT)
overtakes learner towards oncoming cyclist
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 May 2022 12:56 UTC

brooksby replied to Rendel Harris | 9521 posts | 4 hours ago
1 like
I wonder if its worth looking up whether Driveway is a one man band or not. If not, might be worth having another go at contacting them. Otherwise, gosh wouldn't it be absolutely awful if the local paper (or the Standard?) was sent a copy of the footage...

DO IT!