I like young girls. Their stories are shorter. -- Tom McGuane

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Large fairy-bike symbols painted on middle of Bournemouth lanes to encourage fairy-cyclists to ride in primary position – and motorists aren’t happy

SubjectAuthor
* Large bike symbols painted on middle of Bournemouthswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Large fairy-bike symbols painted on middle of BournJNugent
`- Re: Large bike symbols painted on middle of Bournemoswldx...@gmail.com

1
Large bike symbols painted on middle of Bournemouth lanes to encourage cyclists to ride in primary position – and motorists aren’t happy

<047ccddd-78b0-4e84-ad47-e64e564b081en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9807&group=uk.rec.cycling#9807

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Large_bike_symbols_painted_on_middle_of_Bournemouth_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:26 UTC

Large bike symbols have been painted in the middle of lanes in the Bournemouth suburb of Boscombe, as part of recent resurfacing works carried out by Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council.

The council says that the new road markings on the A35 Christchurch Road and between Browning Avenue and the Christchurch Road roundabout were added to encourage cyclists to take a “prominent” position on the road.

“We recently undertook carriageway resurfacing in Christchurch Road at Boscombe and we have widened the cycle lanes in line with current standards and made them mandatory where possible,” a council spokesperson told the Daily Echo (link is external).

“The road markings highlighted are there to encourage cyclists to take a prominent position in the lane so therefore make them more visible to other motorists.”

The new markings haven’t gone down well with everyone, if the comments section under the Echo’s article is anything to go by (though it probably shouldn’t be).

Here’s a selection of the some of the more… shall we say, interesting… comments:

The demented BCP councillors go on about traffic congestion and air pollution and now with these markings have invited cyclists to ride down the middle of the road causing traffic to go slower, more congestion, more pollution. I seriously think the councillors need a mental health check.

If a law said cyclists had to wear a reflective waistcoat, or lose their bike, it could save painting anything on the roads if it is because they are not always seen clearly.

So if someone (walker, children) is crossing a road, you hit them and say "they didn't wear high viz"?

As someone who both drives and cycles these new Highway Code laws are nuts. Also don’t be a knob and cycle in the middle of the road for no reason, this is likely to risk more harm.

It's not the cycling we are condemning, it's prats we are condemning. Just because the majority of prats ride bikes is just a coincidence.

Though I refuse to believe that the below comment is the work of an actual, living person, and not a parody account:

I will take absolutely no notice of this symbol. There is no way I will stop using my old Jag.

We got Brexit done because of this silliness.

For balance, some cyclists aren’t head over heels with the markings either:

Paint is not cycling infrastructure. https://t.co/Jjx0ffzHd5 (link is external)

— Gary L 🏳️‍🌈🇺🇦🚵‍♂️🔉🎶 (@90sRaver) May 16, 2022 (link is external)

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-17-may-2022-292815#live-blog-item-34109

Re: Large fairy-bike symbols painted on middle of Bournemouth lanes to encourage fairy-cyclists to ride in primary position – and motorists aren’t happy

<jeifi8Fh60aU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9811&group=uk.rec.cycling#9811

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Large_fairy-bike_symbols_painted_on_middle_of_Bourn
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 21:40:40 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 17 May 2022 20:40 UTC

> Large fairy-bike symbols have been painted in the middle of lanes in the Bournemouth suburb of Boscombe, as part of recent resurfacing works carried out by Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council.
> The council says that the new road markings on the A35 Christchurch Road and between Browning Avenue and the Christchurch Road roundabout were added to encourage fairy-cyclists to take a “prominent” position on the road.
> “We recently undertook carriageway resurfacing in Christchurch Road at Boscombe and we have widened the fairy-cycle lanes in line with current standards and made them mandatory where possible,” a council spokesperson told the Daily Echo (link is external).
> “The road markings highlighted are there to encourage fairy-cyclists to take a prominent position in the lane so therefore make them more visible to other motorists.”

Let's hope they (the painted markings) don't become slippery when wet.

That's a typical sort of excuse used by fairy-cyclists when they fall
off their fairy-cycles, isn't it?

> The new markings haven’t gone down well with everyone, if the comments section under the Echo’s article is anything to go by (though it probably shouldn’t be).
>
> Here’s a selection of the some of the more… shall we say, interesting… comments:
>
> The demented BCP councillors go on about traffic congestion and air pollution and now with these markings have invited fairy-cyclists to ride down the middle of the road causing traffic to go slower, more congestion, more pollution. I seriously think the councillors need a mental health check.
>
> If a law said fairy-cyclists had to wear a reflective waistcoat, or lose their fairy-bike, it could save painting anything on the roads if it is because they are not always seen clearly.
>
> So if someone (walker, children) is crossing a road, you hit them and say "they didn't wear high viz"?
>
> As someone who both drives and fairy-cycles these new Highway Code laws are nuts. Also don’t be a knob and fairy-cycle in the middle of the road for no reason, this is likely to risk more harm.
>
> It's not the fairy-cycling we are condemning, it's prats we are condemning. Just because the majority of prats ride fairy-bikes is just a coincidence.
>
> Though I refuse to believe that the below comment is the work of an actual, living person, and not a parody account:
>
> I will take absolutely no notice of this symbol. There is no way I will stop using my old Jag.
>
> We got Brexit done because of this silliness.
>
> For balance, some fairy-cyclists aren’t head over heels with the markings either:
>
> Paint is not fairy-cycling infrastructure. https://t.co/Jjx0ffzHd5 (link is external)
>
> — Gary L 🏳️‍🌈🇺🇦🚵‍♂️🔉🎶 (@90sRaver) May 16, 2022 (link is external)
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-17-may-2022-292815#live-blog-item-34109

Re: Large bike symbols painted on middle of Bournemouth lanes to encourage cyclists to ride in primary position – and motorists aren’t happy

<81189e98-2fe5-441a-bacf-c7db430e3f79n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9813&group=uk.rec.cycling#9813

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 13:53:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Large_bike_symbols_painted_on_middle_of_Bournemo
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 May 2022 20:53 UTC

brooksby | 9526 posts | 1 hour ago
2 likes
Aren't those things in Bournemouth what the Americans call "sharrows"? They're used in the US as the default for painted infrastructure, meant to remind motorists to share (sharrow, geddit?) the road with cyclists.

I'm glad to see that local-newspaper-BTL is irrational rational all around the UK and it's not just the Bristol Post which is full of - erm - irrational people...

(edited, some time later)