6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

SubjectAuthor
* Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computergareth evans
+* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theJohn Rumm
|+* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thegareth evans
||+* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theOttavio Caruso
|||+- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across thChris Hogg
|||`* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thejon
||| +- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theVir Campestris
||| `- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theAndrew
||`- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thePaul
|`- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across thTim Lamb
+- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thewhisky-dave
+- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across thBrian Gaff
`* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thejim.gm4dhj
 `* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thegareth evans
  +* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across thcharles
  |`* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theThe Natural Philosopher
  | `* Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theVir Campestris
  |  `- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing theThe Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing thejim.gm4dhj

1
Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8jg2e$2tfif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97855&group=uk.d-i-y#97855

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer
across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:57:00 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:57 UTC

Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
in order to do an update.

A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
that the program was in use?

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8jkcm$2tvnj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97867&group=uk.d-i-y#97867

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the
computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:10:46 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:10 UTC

On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
> in order to do an update.
>
> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
> that the program was in use?

IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you opt
to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next startup.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8jolb$2ueq3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97878&group=uk.d-i-y#97878

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:23:38 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:23 UTC

On 11/07/2023 14:10, John Rumm wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
>> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
>> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
>> in order to do an update.
>>
>> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
>> that the program was in use?
>
> IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
> to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you opt
> to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next startup.

I suppose that it is possible that among the other windows popping up
was such a prompt and without realising I may have responded to it.

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<GUhNUeHwuWrkFwSD@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97883&group=uk.d-i-y#97883

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:48:16 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:48 UTC

In message <u8jkcm$2tvnj$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
>> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
>> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
>> in order to do an update.
>> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
>> that the program was in use?
>
>IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
>to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you
>opt to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next
>startup.

Several times a week recently although this may relate to my W7pro
machine.

Nine years on from acquisition as a re-furbished desk top, I had my
first worrying moment when the *pointer* froze. Mindful of threads about
mouse failures, I sought help from a neighbour.
While I waited I realised how little I know of keyboard shortcuts which
might have localised the issue.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8jqd6$2ulaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97886&group=uk.d-i-y#97886

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:53:26 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:53 UTC

Am 11/07/2023 um 14:23 schrieb gareth evans:
> On 11/07/2023 14:10, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
>>> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
>>> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
>>> in order to do an update.
>>>
>>> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
>>> that the program was in use?
>>
>> IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
>> to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you opt
>> to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next startup.
>>

> I suppose that it is possible that among the other windows popping up
> was such a prompt and without realising I may have responded to it.

It is possible to disable FF automatic updates. Google it.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<9kvqailujvkr49fdmefpehegoqs5ftc7ei@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97900&group=uk.d-i-y#97900

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:26:23 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:26 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:53:26 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Am 11/07/2023 um 14:23 schrieb gareth evans:

>>> IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
>>> to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you opt
>>> to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next startup.
>>>

>> I suppose that it is possible that among the other windows popping up
>> was such a prompt and without realising I may have responded to it.
>>

>It is possible to disable FF automatic updates. Google it.

Mine is set to:
Tools>settings>general>Firefox Updates>allow Firefox to >check for
updates but let you to choose to install them.

It lets me know when an update is available, and I update at my
convenience.

--
Chris

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8k2gn$2vg8j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97902&group=uk.d-i-y#97902

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:11:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:11 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:53:26 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> Am 11/07/2023 um 14:23 schrieb gareth evans:

>>> IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
>>> to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you
>>> opt to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next
>>> startup.
>>>

>> I suppose that it is possible that among the other windows popping up
>> was such a prompt and without realising I may have responded to it.
>>

> It is possible to disable FF automatic updates. Google it.

I have also disabled Windows Updates and Removed Defender on Win11.

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8kc9s$30e9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97911&group=uk.d-i-y#97911

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:58:52 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:58 UTC

On 11/07/2023 18:11, jon wrote:
> I have also disabled Windows Updates and Removed Defender on Win11.

Some of those updates are to fix security holes that someone has found.

Andy

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8kfd6$30rhn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97912&group=uk.d-i-y#97912

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:51:48 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:51 UTC

On 7/11/2023 10:23 AM, gareth evans wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 14:10, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
>>> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
>>> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
>>> in order to do an update.
>>>
>>> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
>>> that the program was in use?
>>
>> IME it doesn't. Normally firfox pops up a "toast" saying that it needs
>> to restart for an update, however the dialogue is not modal, and you opt
>> to just close it (or ignore it). It does the update on the next startup.
>>

> I suppose that it is possible that among the other windows popping up
> was such a prompt and without realising I may have responded to it.

Firefox has IT controls.

In a corporate setting, you have better control over it.

In a Google search, look for "policies.json" and "disableappupdate".
Even home users can use this.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1304175

policies.json

{
"policies":
{
"DisableAppUpdate": true
}
}

Then, in some Preferences dialog, you might see "Controlled by your Administrator",
as an indication a policies.json is being used.

*******

When you install a brand new Firefox, you:

1) Download Firefox from the server.
2) Then, pull the network cable out of the PC.
3) Install Firefox.
4) Install your policies.json file.
5) Start Firefox, it should complain about no Internet, when
it tries to pull some crud from the Internet for its welcome page.
6) Plug in the network cable.

The reason for this procedure, is to prevent Firefox from
sneaking an update into the buffer, before you've beaten it
into submission. You cannot allow it to have even a tiny whiff
of the Internet, until it is configured properly.

With the policies file in place, you can still ask Firefox to upgrade itself.
But then it is under your control.

Paul

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<e3afc3d8-d420-4cbe-be9d-d09d9c115b60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97922&group=uk.d-i-y#97922

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
computer across the room....
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 01:50 UTC

On Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 12:57:07 UTC+1, gareth evans wrote:
> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
> in order to do an update.
>
> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
> that the program was in use?

I just get a dialogue box asking if I want to download the update or dismiss buttons. I download the update but it doesn't get installed until I quite firefox.
This is on an iMac .

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8lkp7$37mm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97935&group=uk.d-i-y#97935

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:29:41 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:29 UTC

Well, when I get this it says do you wish to resume the last session.
Also, my Firefox is set to ask, and if you ignore it it will only do its
update when it is restarted. You must have altered some parameters to get it
to interrupt you this way, unless its a new 'feature' I've not seen!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"gareth evans" <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
> in order to do an update.
>
> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
> that the program was in use?

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8lrt2$38bot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97951&group=uk.d-i-y#97951

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:31:15 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:31 UTC

On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
> in order to do an update.
>
> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
> that the program was in use?
I don't expect computers to work properly

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8mbsg$3a08m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97981&group=uk.d-i-y#97981

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:03:58 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:03 UTC

On 12/07/2023 10:31, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
>> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
>> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
>> in order to do an update.
>>
>> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
>> that the program was in use?
> I don't expect computers to work properly

Jim, how's tricks?

I am having a resurgence of interest in ham radio at the moment
and trying to work out how best to adapt a CBer's Silver Rod
vertical antenna to ham radio service, perhaps as an end fed
full wave on 50MHz / 6m

As to computers, 52 years ago, using a PDP11/20, I'd load in
my paper tape program and the computer would be doing nothing
else and I was in full control, especially using the very
low level interface of the Blinkenlights.

Now, with W11, there are 100 or so other processes and programs
running in the background which are of no interest to me and
only serve to slow down the system. Just what do they all do?

I want a computer that is in MY control.

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<5ac2de8b1acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=97998&group=uk.d-i-y#97998

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 23 16:00:01 UTC
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: charles - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:00 UTC

In article <u8mbsg$3a08m$1@dont-email.me>,
gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/2023 10:31, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> > On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
> >> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
> >> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
> >> in order to do an update.
> >>
> >> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
> >> that the program was in use?
> > I don't expect computers to work properly

> Jim, how's tricks?

> I am having a resurgence of interest in ham radio at the moment
> and trying to work out how best to adapt a CBer's Silver Rod
> vertical antenna to ham radio service, perhaps as an end fed
> full wave on 50MHz / 6m

> As to computers, 52 years ago, using a PDP11/20, I'd load in
> my paper tape program and the computer would be doing nothing
> else and I was in full control, especially using the very
> low level interface of the Blinkenlights.

> Now, with W11, there are 100 or so other processes and programs
> running in the background which are of no interest to me and
> only serve to slow down the system. Just what do they all do?

> I want a computer that is in MY control.

don't use Window$

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8mmrv$3b715$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98001&group=uk.d-i-y#98001

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:11:29 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:11 UTC

On 12/07/2023 15:03, gareth evans wrote:
> On 12/07/2023 10:31, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 12:57, gareth evans wrote:
>>> Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal
>>> screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down
>>> in order to do an update.
>>>
>>> A program update when it must have been abundantly clear
>>> that the program was in use?
>> I don't expect computers to work properly
>
> Jim, how's tricks?
>
> I am having a resurgence of interest in ham radio at the moment
> and trying to work out how best to adapt a CBer's Silver Rod
> vertical antenna to ham radio service, perhaps as an end fed
> full wave on 50MHz / 6m

good get back on.....

> As to computers, 52 years ago, using a PDP11/20, I'd load in
> my paper tape program and the computer would be doing nothing
> else and I was in full control, especially using the very
> low level interface of the Blinkenlights.
>
> Now, with W11, there are 100 or so other processes and programs
> running in the background which are of no interest to me and
> only serve to slow down  the system. Just what do they all do?
>
> I want a computer that is in MY control.
fat chance....tee hee

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8mrrg$3bm3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98017&group=uk.d-i-y#98017

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:36:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:36 UTC

On 12/07/2023 17:00, charles wrote:
>> I want a computer that is in MY control.
> don't use Window$
+Linux
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8ov26$3lm3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98073&group=uk.d-i-y#98073

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:43:34 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:43 UTC

On 11/07/2023 18:11, jon wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:53:26 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> I suppose that it is possible that among the other windows popping up
>>> was such a prompt and without realising I may have responded to it.
>>>

>> It is possible to disable FF automatic updates. Google it.
>
> I have also disabled Windows Updates and Removed Defender on Win11.

No fool like an old fool then

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8rc3q$ksd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98155&group=uk.d-i-y#98155

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:38:34 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:38 UTC

> On 12/07/2023 17:00, charles wrote:
>>> I want a computer that is in MY control.
>> don't use Window$
> +Linux

$ ps aufx | wc -l
393

(That's the count of processes running on my Linux right now)

I don't know what most of them do.

Andy

Re: Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....

<u8rke7$1jvq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98171&group=uk.d-i-y#98171

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
computer across the room....
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:00:38 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:00 UTC

On 14/07/2023 12:38, Vir Campestris wrote:
> ps aufx | wc -l

$ ps aufx | wc -l
230

And I know what most of them do.