Kill Ugly Processor Architectures -- Karl Lehenbauer

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Quick question on wiring regs

SubjectAuthor
* Quick question on wiring regsnothanks
+* Re: Quick question on wiring regsTricky Dicky
|`- Re: Quick question on wiring regsTheo
`* Re: Quick question on wiring regsARW
 `- Re: Quick question on wiring regsnothanks

1
Quick question on wiring regs

<khfc58F7aauU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98211&group=uk.d-i-y#98211

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Quick question on wiring regs
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 11:53:30 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 10:53 UTC

Situation:
I'm making and fitting kitchen floor cabinets around a cooker and have
knocked-off the plaster from the area behind one of the cabinets so I
can get it a little further back (yes, I should have made the cabinet
slightly shallower :-( ). The 4mm T&E runs in the plaster across this
area to the cooker outlet, which is behind the cooker. The back of the
cabinet is 19mm melamine-coated MDF. The cabinet will be fixed to the wall.

Question for those more familiar with the regs than me: is there
anything in the regs that means the T&E needs to be protected where it
runs behind the cabinet?

Re: Quick question on wiring regs

<u8uisf$eft7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98238&group=uk.d-i-y#98238

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Quick question on wiring regs
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 16:52:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Mb7AultUfdzpFZTmXcES23lW8yI=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 16:52 UTC

<nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
> Situation:
> I'm making and fitting kitchen floor cabinets around a cooker and have
> knocked-off the plaster from the area behind one of the cabinets so I
> can get it a little further back (yes, I should have made the cabinet
> slightly shallower :-( ). The 4mm T&E runs in the plaster across this
> area to the cooker outlet, which is behind the cooker. The back of the
> cabinet is 19mm melamine-coated MDF. The cabinet will be fixed to the wall.
>
> Question for those more familiar with the regs than me: is there
> anything in the regs that means the T&E needs to be protected where it
> runs behind the cabinet?

As long as the cable runs in a safe zone then it should be OK. However, if
you as you say have stripped the plaster away exposing the cable, and if
the cabinet is sitting/pressing on it then that probably will not meet the
regs.

Richard

Re: Quick question on wiring regs

<u8uoit$f0ai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98247&group=uk.d-i-y#98247

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 19:29:49 +0100
 by: ARW - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:29 UTC

On 15/07/2023 11:53, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Situation:
> I'm making and fitting kitchen floor cabinets around a cooker and have
> knocked-off the plaster from the area behind one of the cabinets so I
> can get it a little further back (yes, I should have made the cabinet
> slightly shallower :-( ). The 4mm T&E runs in the plaster across this
> area to the cooker outlet, which is behind the cooker. The back of the
> cabinet is 19mm melamine-coated MDF. The cabinet will be fixed to the wall.
>
> Question for those more familiar with the regs than me: is there
> anything in the regs that means the T&E needs to be protected where it
> runs behind the cabinet?

Protected from what?

Assuming that the cable runs in the same direction as it previously did
then there is not a problem.

"covered with plaster" is not considered as protection for a T&E cable
so sitting behind a cupboard is fine.

Re: Quick question on wiring regs

<J9j*b8llz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98250&group=uk.d-i-y#98250

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 15 Jul 2023 21:05:27 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 20:05 UTC

Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
> <nothanks@aolbin.com> wrote:
>
> As long as the cable runs in a safe zone then it should be OK. However, if
> you as you say have stripped the plaster away exposing the cable, and if
> the cabinet is sitting/pressing on it then that probably will not meet the
> regs.

If there's anything sharp on the back of the cabinet that might press on the
cable, I'd be tempted to put a metal plate, like a mending plate for
furniture, to bridge over the gap. Just so that any forces are distributed
away from the cable.

Theo

Re: Quick question on wiring regs

<khhtloFjoohU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98285&group=uk.d-i-y#98285

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 11:04:41 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 10:04 UTC

On 15/07/2023 19:29, ARW wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 11:53, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> Situation:
>> I'm making and fitting kitchen floor cabinets around a cooker and have
>> knocked-off the plaster from the area behind one of the cabinets so I
>> can get it a little further back (yes, I should have made the cabinet
>> slightly shallower :-( ). The 4mm T&E runs in the plaster across this
>> area to the cooker outlet, which is behind the cooker. The back of the
>> cabinet is 19mm melamine-coated MDF. The cabinet will be fixed to the
>> wall.
>>
>> Question for those more familiar with the regs than me: is there
>> anything in the regs that means the T&E needs to be protected where it
>> runs behind the cabinet?
>

> Protected from what?
>
> Assuming that the cable runs in the same direction as it previously did
> then there is not a problem.
>
> "covered with plaster" is not considered as protection for a T&E cable
> so sitting behind a cupboard is fine.
Thanks! That confirms what I thought would be the case.