QOTD: "It seems to me that your antenna doesn't bring in too many stations anymore."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

SubjectAuthor
* Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadJNugent
+* Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadSpike
|`* Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadSpike
`- Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest roadswldx...@gmail.com

1
Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<4cc3fb1f-4712-4067-8a82-798cbbc6ff90n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9809&group=uk.rec.cycling#9809

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:40 UTC

Note the 30mph sign on the dashboard.

A MAN in his 60s has been injured after a car crashed into a cyclist before striking an electricity pole.

Police received reports of the single-vehicle crash on Twiggs Lane, in the New Forest, at around 7.40pm yesterday.

The driver had lost control of the car, a Black BMW, before hitting the cyclist.

The vehicle then continued, striking and damaging an electricity pole.

The cyclist, a man in his 60s from Marchwood, received minor injuries.

Firefighters, SSE and BT Openreach also attended to ensure the road was safe.

Three men have now been arrested as a result.

They were detained on Manor Road, Dibden.

A 24-year-old man from Southampton was arrested on suspicion of driving a motor vehicle whilst unfit through drink or drugs.

A 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy, both from East Boldre, were arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency service worker.

They all remain in custody at this time.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “Hardley firefighters were called at 19:50 yesterday evening after a car collided with a telegraph pole on Beaulieu Road in Marchwood.

“The attached power line was isolated by the electrical company before the crew made the vehicle safe.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/20145139.man-injured-driver-hits-cyclist-new-forest-road/

Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<jeifa7Fh3njU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9810&group=uk.rec.cycling#9810

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 21:36:23 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 17 May 2022 20:36 UTC

> Note the 30mph sign on the dashboard.
>
> A MAN in his 60s has been injured after a car crashed into a cyclist before striking an electricity pole.
> Police received reports of the single-vehicle crash on Twiggs Lane, in the New Forest, at around 7.40pm yesterday.

A *single*-vehicle crash?

> The driver had lost control of the car, a Black BMW, before hitting the cyclist.

Got it... the "cyclist" was a pedestrian.

> The vehicle then continued, striking and damaging an electricity pole.
> The cyclist, a man in his 60s from Marchwood, received minor injuries.
> Firefighters, SSE and BT Openreach also attended to ensure the road was safe.
> Three men have now been arrested as a result.
> They were detained on Manor Road, Dibden.
> A 24-year-old man from Southampton was arrested on suspicion of driving a motor vehicle whilst unfit through drink or drugs.
> A 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy, both from East Boldre, were arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency service worker.

NFNF?

> They all remain in custody at this time.
> A Hampshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “Hardley firefighters were called at 19:50 yesterday evening after a car collided with a telegraph pole on Beaulieu Road in Marchwood.
> “The attached power line was isolated by the electrical company before the crew made the vehicle safe.
>
> https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/20145139.man-injured-driver-hits-cyclist-new-forest-road/

Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<eea45d0b-cebd-43a5-bf8d-c8f2f4995835n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9812&group=uk.rec.cycling#9812

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 13:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 May 2022 20:51 UTC

Sign on driver's dashboard clearly states:

SLOW DOWN - 20 MPH.

What is do difficult about that?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/13788879?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<jejph9FojnhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9818&group=uk.rec.cycling#9818

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:36:58 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 18 May 2022 08:36 UTC

On 17/05/2022 20:51, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Sign on driver's dashboard clearly states:

> SLOW DOWN - 20 MPH.

> What is do difficult about that?

> https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/13788879?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Like the cyclist recently mentioned on road.cc for travelling at 27mph
in a 20 limit and on a road surface loose with chippings? What was so
difficult about slowing down?

On 15/05/2022 10:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> What a total pillock

> A punishment pass features in today's video in our Near Miss of the
Day series, and the question, as ever, is why on earth would someone
behind the wheel of an SUV put someone else ar risk like that?

> The footage was shot by road.cc reader Kionne, who told us: “I found
myself on a heavily chipped sealed road which I had no choice but to
continue on

"What a total pillock"

Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

> chips were very deep and I’d already nearly crashed because of them.

"What a total pillock"

Turning back and seeking an alternate route is always an option.

> “I decided to ride where the loose chips were least deep and as I
could keep well above the temporary 20mph speed limit

"What a total pillock"

Whatever did he think the speed limit was for?

So he's riding on a road with a new, loose surface; he's already nearly
crashed; and he's over the speed limit.

That's three mistakes.

Who was it mentioned the phrase 'total pillock'?

> I didn’t think I’d be impeding any motorists but that didn’t satisfy
this man.

Safety tip: Never assume anything about other road users.

That's four mistakes

> “West Mercia sent him a warning letter, not sure if that was for
speeding, improper use of the horn, close passing a cyclist or
overtaking on a newly chip sealed road which I think may be prohibited?

> “On the same ride I had a very dangerous close pass, for many reasons
the motorist is in the process of being prosecuted. A registration check
revealed the below,” he added.

> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-769-punishment-pass-292777

Perhaps a Cycling Awareness Course for this rider?

--
Spike

Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<e8855d52-b8bc-4bde-9138-0f6da1450d7fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9822&group=uk.rec.cycling#9822

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 02:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 18 May 2022 09:55 UTC

On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 9:51:09 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sign on driver's dashboard clearly states:
>
> SLOW DOWN - 20 MPH.
>
> What is do difficult about that?
>
> https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/13788879?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Sorry - the sign inside the crashed car reads "30mph" - not 20.

Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<jek9qtFrhufU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9827&group=uk.rec.cycling#9827

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:15:10 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 18 May 2022 13:15 UTC

On 18/05/2022 09:55, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 9:51:09 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Sign on driver's dashboard clearly states: SLOW DOWN - 20 MPH.

> Sorry - the sign inside the crashed car reads "30mph" - not 20.

oops...Thank goodness you're not a driver.

>> https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/13788879?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

--
Spike

Re: Man injured after driver hits cyclist on New Forest road

<f4f4f315-2ace-4c2f-baf6-f6515177bf4an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9834&group=uk.rec.cycling#9834

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 18 May 2022 15:47 UTC

On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 6:40:03 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Note the 30mph sign on the dashboard.
>
> A MAN in his 60s has been injured after a car crashed into a cyclist before striking an electricity pole.

Was the electricity pole wearing hi-vis?