America has been discovered before, but it has always been hushed up. -- Oscar Wilde

aus+uk / aus.electronics / Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

SubjectAuthor
* Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Clifford Heath
+* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Phil Allison
|+* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Clifford Heath
||`* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Phil Allison
|| `- Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Clifford Heath
|`* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Chris Jones
| `* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Phil Allison
|  `* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Rheilly Phoull
|   `* Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Phil Allison
|    `- Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Rheilly Phoull
`- Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)Chris Jones

1
Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<1694f7b1fc17df2f$1$1356503$70dd7a6b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=986&group=aus.electronics#986

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Subject: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:21:48 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:21 UTC

Is there a standard or regulation applying to the geometry of recessed
power sockets, or a regulation requiring them?

I just ask because I have a Chinese plug that works fine with Australian
outlets, except a recessed-socket Arlec extension lead.

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<952c4fac-8099-435d-9350-122134cb21ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=987&group=aus.electronics#987

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 00:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:48 UTC

Clifford Heath wrote:
======================
> Is there a standard or regulation applying to the geometry of recessed
> power sockets, or a regulation requiring them?

** Bound to be - mains power plugs and sockets for domestic use must be lab type approved if sold here.

> I just ask because I have a Chinese plug

** FFS what the hell DOES that ever mean ??

It arrived on some POS you bought on Ebay from HK ?

If so, the YOU baby are the fucking importer.

> that works fine with Australian
> outlets, except a recessed-socket Arlec extension lead.

** The Arlec lead would be type approved - can you see the embossed numbers ?

FYI:

China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.
They also manufacture most of our leads and power plugs nowadays for Arlec, Clipsal etc.

Has your " Chinese " plug got any approval codes on it ??

FYI : consists of a letter and a number

S = South Australia, Q = Queensland, V = Victoria , W = Western Australia etc

Then typically a 3 to 5 digit approval number.

..... Phil

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<16950251f26be8ea$1$1356503$70dd7a6b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=988&group=aus.electronics#988

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 20:36:28 +1000
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!4.us.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!2a07:8080:119:fe::44.MISMATCH!news.thecubenet.com!not-for-mail
 by: Clifford Heath - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:36 UTC

On 25/7/21 5:48 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Clifford Heath wrote:
> ======================
>> Is there a standard or regulation applying to the geometry of recessed
>> power sockets, or a regulation requiring them?
>
> ** Bound to be - mains power plugs and sockets for domestic use must be lab type approved if sold here.

I know that. I'm asking about the details of what is required for type
approval. Specifically about the geometry of (or requirement for) a
flange, such as the flange on the Arlec socket in my photo.

Photos are in this folder:
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0330rr3xrvngqlq/AAAogHmB4q0mp1kCgLH8IHILa?dl=0>

When is a flange required? When should/must a socket have an equivalent
recess? What are the dimensions of a plug made to fit such a socket?
That's what I'm trying to find out.

>> I just ask because I have a Chinese plug
> ** FFS what the hell DOES that ever mean ??
> It arrived on some POS you bought on Ebay from HK ?

Yes, probably. It's already in the trash. But I was curious because I
hadn't seen one where the pins are offset enough that they don't align
with a recessed or flanged socket, such as the Arlec one above. See
"Non-approved plug" in the photos.

> ** The Arlec lead would be type approved - can you see the embossed numbers ?

I assume that A/11961EA is the approval number.

Is it possible to look up the approval numbers on a .gov.au website, to
see if a fraudulent marking is being used?

> China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.

Interesting. I assumed the reasons might be older than that. Thanks.

> They also manufacture most of our leads and power plugs nowadays for Arlec, Clipsal etc.
> Has your " Chinese " plug got any approval codes on it ??

I actually don't care. It probably doesn't have enough copper in it
anyway. I just want to know whether the geometry they used is
non-compliant with some standard, and what that standard is.

If you don't know, you don't have to answer. Someone here will know.

> FYI : consists of a letter and a number
> S = South Australia, Q = Queensland, V = Victoria , W = Western Australia etc
> Then typically a 3 to 5 digit approval number.

The Longwell lead was sold as type-approved. I assume N/12555 is a NSW
approval. Note that the power pins are further from the circumference
than the crappy plug.

CH.

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<ZceLI.140961$Fs1.7332@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=989&group=aus.electronics#989

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: lugnut...@spam.yahoo.com (Chris Jones)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:05:41 +1000
 by: Chris Jones - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:05 UTC

On 25/07/2021 17:21, Clifford Heath wrote:
> Is there a standard or regulation applying to the geometry of recessed
> power sockets, or a regulation requiring them?

AS/NZS3112 gives the dimensions and some other requirements for recessed
sockets and plugs to fit them, but I don't think it specifies under
which circumstances recessed sockets are required.

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<AdeLI.141343$Fs1.96360@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=990&group=aus.electronics#990

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: lugnut...@spam.yahoo.com (Chris Jones)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:06:24 +1000
 by: Chris Jones - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:06 UTC

On 25/07/2021 17:48, Phil Allison wrote:
> Clifford Heath wrote:
> ======================
>> Is there a standard or regulation applying to the geometry of recessed
>> power sockets, or a regulation requiring them?
>
> ** Bound to be - mains power plugs and sockets for domestic use must be lab type approved if sold here.
>
>> I just ask because I have a Chinese plug
>
> ** FFS what the hell DOES that ever mean ??
>
> It arrived on some POS you bought on Ebay from HK ?
>
> If so, the YOU baby are the fucking importer.
>

>> that works fine with Australian
>> outlets, except a recessed-socket Arlec extension lead.
>
> ** The Arlec lead would be type approved - can you see the embossed numbers ?
>
> FYI:
>
> China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.

Many that I have seen are not the same dimensions as ours - for example
the earth pin isn't longer than the other two. Since I have seen several
wrong in the same way, I suspect that their standard is different,
though it is also possible that the plugs did not comply with the
Chinese standard either. Usually they also lack sleeved pins.

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<fe8e3835-13c7-4a8c-af6e-d10b0d637dbcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=991&group=aus.electronics#991

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:30 UTC

Clifford Heath = Fucking Arsehole wrote:
==============================

> >> Is there a standard or regulation applying to the geometry of recessed
> >> power sockets, or a regulation requiring them?
> >
> > ** Bound to be - mains power plugs and sockets for domestic use must be lab type approved if sold here.
>
> I know that. I'm asking about the details of what is required for type
> approval.

** Nothing like what you posted originally - arsehole.

> Specifically about the geometry of (or requirement for) a
> flange, such as the flange on the Arlec socket in my photo.
> When is a flange required? When should/must a socket have an equivalent
> recess? What are the dimensions of a plug made to fit such a socket?
> That's what I'm trying to find out.

** Not a word about any of that in what you posted originally.

> >> I just ask because I have a Chinese plug

> > ** FFS what the hell DOES that ever mean ??
> > It arrived on some POS you bought on Ebay from HK ?

> Yes, probably.

** FFS idiot -

Aussie standards do NOT apply to items made to be sold IN CHINA !

> Is it possible to look up the approval numbers on a .gov.au website, to
> see if a fraudulent marking is being used?

** Huh ? Mad idea.

> > China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.

> Interesting. I assumed the reasons might be older than that.

** Huh ?

> > They also manufacture most of our leads and power plugs nowadays for Arlec, Clipsal etc.
> > Has your " Chinese " plug got any approval codes on it ??

> I actually don't care.

** Fuck off you rude, ignorant prick.

> If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

** Fuck you.

> > FYI : consists of a letter and a number
> > S = South Australia, Q = Queensland, V = Victoria , W = Western Australia etc
> > Then typically a 3 to 5 digit approval number.

> The Longwell lead was sold as type-approved.

** SOLD WHERE ?????????

You are one bloody annoying IDIOT !!

> I assume N/12555 is a NSW approval.

** Looks like one.

FYI
I did try once to track such a number to the owner.
The officer I spoke to at the approval authority in NSW refused to tell me over the phone.
Big secret, only given out on a need to know basis.

..... Phil

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<80e8c307-a049-493f-b52d-41cf90d41e8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=992&group=aus.electronics#992

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:33:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:33 UTC

Chris Jones wrote:
=================
> > China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.
>
> Many that I have seen are not the same dimensions as ours - for example
> the earth pin isn't longer than the other two. Since I have seen several
> wrong in the same way, I suspect that their standard is different,
> though it is also possible that the plugs did not comply with the
> Chinese standard either. Usually they also lack sleeved pins.

** Close enough to work, but not legal to sell here.

Chinese dodgyness at its best.

....... Phil

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<QqKdnRjdpbA1mmP9nZ2dnUU7-bOdnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=993&group=aus.electronics#993

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: rhei...@bigslong.com (Rheilly Phoull)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:53:58 +0800
 by: Rheilly Phoull - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:53 UTC

On 26/07/2021 6:33 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> =================
>>> China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.
>>
>> Many that I have seen are not the same dimensions as ours - for example
>> the earth pin isn't longer than the other two. Since I have seen several
>> wrong in the same way, I suspect that their standard is different,
>> though it is also possible that the plugs did not comply with the
>> Chinese standard either. Usually they also lack sleeved pins.
>>
> ** Close enough to work, but not legal to sell here.
>
> Chinese dodgyness at its best.
>
> ...... Phil

Do the Chinese manufacturers actually have standards other than demand ??

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<450484b5-9c79-45cb-bda5-1698043bfc11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=994&group=aus.electronics#994

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 18:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 01:20 UTC

Rheilly Phoull wrote:
=================

>>> China adopted ( ie copied) the Aussie power plug and socket dimensions decades ago.
> >>
> >> Many that I have seen are not the same dimensions as ours - for example
> >> the earth pin isn't longer than the other two. Since I have seen several
> >> wrong in the same way, I suspect that their standard is different,
> >> though it is also possible that the plugs did not comply with the
> >> Chinese standard either. Usually they also lack sleeved pins.
> >>
> > ** Close enough to work, but not legal to sell here.
> >
> > Chinese dodgyness at its best.
> >
> > ...... Phil
> >
> Do the Chinese manufacturers actually have standards other than demand ??

** It works like this:

1. Standard is variable: customer sets standard.
2. He want just cheap - he get cheap - but not so good.
3. All responsibility lie with customer.
4. Once leave China we never see again.
5. No want to see again either.
6. Goodbye.

...... Phil

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<1695374bad15cd29$1$1356503$70dd7a6b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=995&group=aus.electronics#995

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 12:47:18 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:47 UTC

Phil,

I'm sorry you're so miserably deranged that you have to pick a random
stranger off the internet to abuse. Especially one who knows where you
live. I normally try not to laugh at mental health issues, but you are
testing my resolve.

Get help.

Re: Recessed power socket (Australian standard?)

<-ZqdncYhEYF4o2P9nZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=996&group=aus.electronics#996

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: rhei...@bigslong.com (Rheilly Phoull)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 12:49:39 +0800
 by: Rheilly Phoull - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 04:49 UTC

On 26/07/2021 9:20 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Rheilly Phoull wrote:
> =================

>>> ** Close enough to work, but not legal to sell here.
>>>
>>> Chinese dodgyness at its best.
>>>
>>> ...... Phil
>>>
>> Do the Chinese manufacturers actually have standards other than demand ??
>>

> ** It works like this:
>
> 1. Standard is variable: customer sets standard.
> 2. He want just cheap - he get cheap - but not so good.
> 3. All responsibility lie with customer.
> 4. Once leave China we never see again.
> 5. No want to see again either.
> 6. Goodbye.
>

> ..... Phil