From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Dell R620 server with Proxmox VE
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 20:14:00 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 23 May 2021 19:14 UTC

Moving things about (joke) to kill the electricity bill, I'm moving
things that stress out a couple of Microservers, to something else larger.

Happily recycling SAS 10K disks from one power hungry server, and DDR3
memory from another (the Bargain hardware Quanta cloud 12 core server
that ran pretty slow as a Hyper-V host....), I thrown the lot into a
cheapo Dell R620 and it's looking good so far.

I've installed Promox VE on an 8-drive RAID10 volume using Ext2 running
on the Dell's Perc H710 Mini. It will be running Windows Server guests,
Docker / Puppet infrastructure and whatever.

Is Ext2 a good choice? Proxmox? I'm not up on the benefits of disc
formats and stripe sizes for virtualization use.

Already thinking about getting spares for this, while they are cheap.
Another RAID controller card maybe.....

--
Adrian C

Re: Dell R620 server with Proxmox VE

<ih0pa2Fr9nqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=987&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#987

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Dell R620 server with Proxmox VE
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 05:44:49 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 24 May 2021 04:44 UTC

On 23/05/2021 20:14, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> Is Ext2 a good choice? Proxmox? I'm not up on the benefits of disc
> formats and stripe sizes for virtualization use.

s/Ext2/Ext4

Scrap that. Found something.

https://ioflood.com/blog/2021/02/04/optimal-raid-stripe-size-and-filesystem-readahead-for-raid-10/

--