Beware of friends who are false and deceitful.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with drawing pins on sportive route

SubjectAuthor
* RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist withswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist withSpike
+* Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist withswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist withSpike
`- Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist withSpike

1
RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with drawing pins on sportive route

<fdcb5c4a-e52e-44d5-b1fb-3746ef3f4e3en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9879&group=uk.rec.cycling#9879

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 08:31:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with
drawing pins on sportive route
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 May 2022 15:31 UTC

Two cyclists have claimed that they were assaulted by a motorist on the route of the upcoming RideLondon-Essex sportive. According to the two riders, who were not injured during the attack, a driver in a black Ford pickup truck pulled alongside them on the Epping New Road, near the Wake Valley car park, before throwing drawing pins at the cyclists and along the bike lane.

The alleged assault follows a difficult week for RideLondon’s organisers, who have been criticised for seemingly implementing a 22mph pace limit, set by a safety car (link is external), at the head of the event, which some participants claimed would lead to long tailbacks behind the lead car and increased danger within groups as faster riders intermingled with less experienced entrants.

However, London Marathon Events, the event’s organisers, have since claimed that the information included in the rider guide about the 22mph speed limit was “stated incorrectly” (link is external), and that the “event safety car would travel at a pace determined by the conditions and what is happening on the road”.

Yesterday we also reported that RideLondon’s event guide was again under scrutiny after entrants noted that their official ride time will seemingly be paused during breaks at feed stops, which some have argued provided further proof that the sportive has adopted a stern ‘this is not a race’ attitude, in the wake of the safety car controversy.

Reports of antagonistic motorists along the route will do little to brighten the mood of RideLondon’s organisers as the event, which also features a three-day women’s WorldTour race, prepares for its debut on the roads of Essex next weekend.

According to a Reddit user, as they were preparing for RideLondon with their sister earlier this week by training along the new route on the Epping New Road, close to the Epping Forest roundabout, a motorist attacked them with drawing pins.

“Whilst in the cycle lane, a black Ford pickup truck pulled alongside us and threw several handfuls of drawing pins in our faces and along the cycle lane,” the user wrote.

“Luckily we had sunglasses on so we were not injured and our bikes came out unscathed.

“I'm not sure why but I suspect it may be a local who is upset about the upcoming road closures.”

The incident has since been reported to the police, though the cyclists failed to take note of the driver’s number plate, while neither wAS wearing helmet cameras at the time of the alleged attack.

While there have been very few reports of locals unhappy about any disruption caused by next weekend’s event, last week we reported that the organisers of June’s Tour of Cambridgeshire – which implements similar road closures to RideLondon – were forced to defend the Gran Fondo after business owners along the route claimed that the event costs them £10,000 in lost revenue every year.

Drawing pins have been long used by protesters wishing to attack cycling events in the UK, as well as those aiming to target individuals or groups of cyclists.

In 2019, hundreds of pins were scattered along a popular cycle path near Bridgend, while in the same year occupants of a BMW threw pins at a group of cyclists in Worcester, causing many to puncture, before reportedly returning to film the aftermath.

In 2015, both the Marlow Red Kite charity bike ride in Buckinghamshire and the Pedal for Scotland 50 mile ride between Glasgow and Edinburgh were targeted by saboteurs armed with pins. The year before, 20 riders punctured after protesters scattered nails along the route of the New Forest Sportive.

As RideLondon approaches, road safety advocate and road.cc contributor Laura Laker has argued that there has been little done by Essex Police to promote engagement between motorists and cyclists in the county.

Laker has pointed out that there are concerns over the inevitable rise in leisure cyclists inspired by RideLondon to cycle outside of the event on some of the country’s most dangerous roads.

While campaigners recognise forces are grappling with a decade of policing cuts, criticisms over a “lack of foresight” surrounding growing cycling numbers – and a potential backlash from motorists – remain.

https://road.cc/content/news/drawing-pins-thrown-cyclists-ridelondon-route-292921

Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with drawing pins on sportive route

<jerjsmF96q9U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9883&group=uk.rec.cycling#9883

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
drawing pins on sportive route
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 07:49:45 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 21 May 2022 07:49 UTC

On 20/05/2022 15:31, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Two cyclists have claimed that they were assaulted by a motorist on the route of the upcoming RideLondon-Essex sportive. According to the two riders, who were not injured during the attack, a driver in a black Ford pickup truck pulled alongside them on the Epping New Road, near the Wake Valley car park, before throwing drawing pins at the cyclists and along the bike lane.

Reminds me of this assault:

Police are looking for a cyclist who pushed over an 80-year-old man who
dared to point out he should not be cycling on the pavement.

The cyclist then kicked the elderly pedestrian before fleeing the scene.
Hampshire Constabulary want to hear from members of the public who saw
anything.

The attack took place on Burgess Road, Southampton, at around 7pm on
Monday (April 25). The pedestrian was walking along the pavement near
the junction with Sherwood Close towards the pedestrian crossing which
leads to Southampton Common.

A cyclist passed very close to him at speed, so the man told him he
should be on the road. The cyclist then pushed the man to the ground and
began kicking him before leaving the scene via Sherwood Close and
Pointout Road.

The victim sustained cuts and bruising as a result of the incident.

The cyclist is described as:

Male
Aged 30 to 40
Between 5ft 10ins and 6ft tall
White
Medium build
Strawberry blonde/ ginger hair in a pony tail
Wearing a white T-Shirt
Carrying a backpack and with bags on the handlebars of his bicycle

The police appeal added: "Do you have dash-cam or CCTV footage of the
incident? Did you see what happened? Do you know who the cyclist is?

"Please contact us on 101 or report online via our website,
hampshire.police.uk, quoting reference number 44220161920. Alternatively
you can report information 100% anonymously via the Crimestoppers charity."

<https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/hampshire-news/southampton-cyclist-kicks-pedestrian-80-7005781>

--
Spike

Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with drawing pins on sportive route

<97d1cb4d-1218-4d49-9a5b-b6eaf5aed7a9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9888&group=uk.rec.cycling#9888

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 07:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
drawing pins on sportive route
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 21 May 2022 14:22 UTC

wtjs | 1833 posts | 1 day ago
6 likes

Reports of antagonistic motorists along the route will do little to brighten the mood of RideLondon’s organisers

We have all become used to antagonistic motorists on all routes at all times, so the organisers will need to adopt better mood brightening strategies

Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with drawing pins on sportive route

<jeubj2FovliU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9899&group=uk.rec.cycling#9899

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
drawing pins on sportive route
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:46:30 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 May 2022 08:46 UTC

On 21/05/2022 14:22, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> wtjs | 1833 posts | 1 day ago
> 6 likes

> Reports of antagonistic motorists along the route will do little to brighten the mood of RideLondon’s organisers

> We have all become used to antagonistic motorists on all routes at all times, so the organisers will need to adopt better mood brightening strategies

We have all become used to antagonistic cyclists on all routes at all times.

--
Spike

Re: RideLondon: Cyclists claim they were assaulted by motorist with drawing pins on sportive route

<jev6hqFu0mdU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9912&group=uk.rec.cycling#9912

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
drawing pins on sportive route
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 16:26:34 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 May 2022 16:26 UTC

On 22/05/2022 12:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Daveyraveygravey | 898 posts | 5 hours ago
> 0 likes

> Pick up truck? No surprise there. Most of them I come across seem determined to be as red neck as they can.

> Well noticed.

Yet you complain loudly when lycra louts are stereotyped. Nothing like a
bit of hypocrisy to help your cause, is there?

--
Spike