From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: AI Suite 3
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:40:22 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 09:40 UTC

I installed a piece of Asus software known as AI Suite 3. It does not
do the job I wanted it to do. Majority opinion on Google is that it is
bloatware. I am thinking about uninstalling it? Is this a good idea?
When it installed it deleted another program. Stupidly, I did not keep
a note of its name. Does anyone know what it might be; and should I
try to get it back? Thanks for any assistance with this obscure
question.

Re: OT: AI Suite 3

<u9b2qa$2lrme$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98777&group=uk.d-i-y#98777

From: was...@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: AI Suite 3
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:38:00 +0100
 by: wasbit - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:38 UTC

On 20/07/2023 10:40, Scott wrote:
> I installed a piece of Asus software known as AI Suite 3. It does not
> do the job I wanted it to do. Majority opinion on Google is that it is
> bloatware. I am thinking about uninstalling it? Is this a good idea?
> When it installed it deleted another program. Stupidly, I did not keep
> a note of its name. Does anyone know what it might be; and should I
> try to get it back? Thanks for any assistance with this obscure
> question.

As a generalised answer, yes uninstall it.
What did you want it to do? There are lots of free system information &
tweaking programmes.
Look in the Programs folder & you may find the program that got uninstalled.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: OT: AI Suite 3

<u9b53s$2m98u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98780&group=uk.d-i-y#98780

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:17:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:17 UTC

On 7/20/2023 5:40 AM, Scott wrote:
> I installed a piece of Asus software known as AI Suite 3. It does not
> do the job I wanted it to do. Majority opinion on Google is that it is
> bloatware. I am thinking about uninstalling it? Is this a good idea?
> When it installed it deleted another program. Stupidly, I did not keep
> a note of its name. Does anyone know what it might be; and should I
> try to get it back? Thanks for any assistance with this obscure
> question.

What it could have done, is remove a tool that uses the same
hardware interface as Ai Suite uses.

It's possible the LPC bus (nibble wide, 33MHz) is atomic and
two attempts to access the bus at the same time, will not
corrupt the winning access.

Whereas I suspect SMBUS (serial bus, low rate), there can be
corruption if two programs randomly probe SMBUS. At the time,
someone suggested an industry-wide semaphore practice, but
I suspect a lot of the participants never even read any of the
material about this. The issue was duly ignored. On Linux, they
appear to have a semaphore, but the documentation does not
explicitly state why it is needed, so I cannot be sure of its
provenance (what it is really for).

CPUZ reads SMBUS to get DIMM SPD tables.

Speedfan may read SMBUS, for some sensor data.
Speedfan is not being kept up-to-date, and may not
be able to "see" the sensors any more. Some
AM4 and AM5 AMD boards are affected by that, and
then Speedfan isn't used any more. A good deal of the
hardware monitors now, could be on the LPC bus (not a
problem).

It's possible there is an MSI cache, which would contain
installer component files, that you've used in the past.
While there is an unpacker for MSI files, it would be a
lot of work to go through all of them looking for breadcrumbs.
The names of the files are anonymized, so you can't tell
from the name what they are.

There is an uninstaller tool, perhaps something that knows
how to remove Asio.sys or similar. If the uninstaller in the
tool worked properly, stuff like this would not be necessary.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/UninstallAI3Tool_1.00.04.zip

This article has a list of some exploitable drivers. ASIO32.sys . ASIO64.sys .

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-application-control/microsoft-recommended-driver-block-rules

There are two ways to access hardware. One way is using these "bypass" drivers,
that remove the security and give access to hardware buses. A second way, is to
pass ACPI objects between the BIOS and the OS. It's hard for me to remember
or recognized some of these things, like ACPI\PNP0A0A (or maybe ATK0110?) for Asus.
There might still be an issue with semaphores and multiple agents, even with something
like that present (if, for example, a Windows program has its own giveio.sys
or similar, competing with the ACPI one run by the BIOS).

Since this sort of issue, is not popular on USENET any more, it's hard
to refresh all the terminology and not forget parts of it. We did have active
motherboard groups (one per brand), but they're not really used any more.
The info could be on Reddit (not currently available), in the MSI forum,
in the Asus forum, and so on. I'm not sure which of the enthusiast web forums
(ExtremeSystems) are still actively used by people. Some of them seemed to die.
Naturally, Google is almost useless now, at finding this stuff. There is still
one popular forum in the UK for this stuff.

Paul

Re: OT: AI Suite 3

<io8ibi9j4d8tai5r682g0aqpsk21q82b6a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98785&group=uk.d-i-y#98785

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:06:58 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:06 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:38:00 +0100, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>On 20/07/2023 10:40, Scott wrote:
>> I installed a piece of Asus software known as AI Suite 3. It does not
>> do the job I wanted it to do. Majority opinion on Google is that it is
>> bloatware. I am thinking about uninstalling it? Is this a good idea?
>> When it installed it deleted another program. Stupidly, I did not keep
>> a note of its name. Does anyone know what it might be; and should I
>> try to get it back? Thanks for any assistance with this obscure
>> question.
>
>As a generalised answer, yes uninstall it.
>What did you want it to do? There are lots of free system information &
>tweaking programmes.
>Look in the Programs folder & you may find the program that got uninstalled.

Thanks. I wanted to update the BIOS and this was one of the methods. I
used a different method, via the BIOS itself. I'll uninstall now and
go looking for the 'lost' program.

Re: OT: AI Suite 3

<u9bq4a$2q24h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98813&group=uk.d-i-y#98813

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:15:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:15 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:17:14 -0400, Paul wrote:

> [...]
> There might still be an issue with semaphores and multiple agents, even
> with something like that present (if, for example, a Windows program has
> its own giveio.sys or similar, competing with the ACPI one run by the
> BIOS).
>
> Since this sort of issue, is not popular on USENET any more, it's hard
> to refresh all the terminology and not forget parts of it. We did have
> active motherboard groups (one per brand), but they're not really used
> any more.
> The info could be on Reddit (not currently available), in the MSI forum,
> in the Asus forum, and so on. I'm not sure which of the enthusiast web
> forums (ExtremeSystems) are still actively used by people. Some of them
> seemed to die.
> Naturally, Google is almost useless now, at finding this stuff. There is
> still one popular forum in the UK for this stuff.

I have previously downloaded the asus bios update file and installed it
from inside the bios

Re: OT: AI Suite 3

<f3ribi5925as0raifc9peam1ftt2b0rkdq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98815&group=uk.d-i-y#98815

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 18:19:39 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:19 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:15:54 -0000 (UTC), jon <jon@nospam.cn> wrote:

> [...]
>> its own giveio.sys or similar, competing with the ACPI one run by the
>> BIOS).
>>
>> Since this sort of issue, is not popular on USENET any more, it's hard
>> to refresh all the terminology and not forget parts of it. We did have
>> active motherboard groups (one per brand), but they're not really used
>> any more.
>> The info could be on Reddit (not currently available), in the MSI forum,
>> in the Asus forum, and so on. I'm not sure which of the enthusiast web
>> forums (ExtremeSystems) are still actively used by people. Some of them
>> seemed to die.
>> Naturally, Google is almost useless now, at finding this stuff. There is
>> still one popular forum in the UK for this stuff.
>>
>> Paul
>
>I have previously downloaded the asus bios update file and installed it

Yes, that is exactly what I did this morning. I am definitely minded
to uninstall AI suite 3.

Re: OT: AI Suite 3

<u9c6cr$2s8sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98843&group=uk.d-i-y#98843

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:45:14 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:45 UTC

On 7/20/2023 1:15 PM, jon wrote:

> I have previously downloaded the asus bios update file and installed it
> from inside the bios

Some machines have a button you push, on the back
of the machine, and one of the USB ports has a
white dotted line demarcating a special USB port.
Connecting a USB stick there, the machine can
flash a BIOS, without MSDOS floppies or AI Suite.

The button for this, is recessed on the MSI board.

https://i0.wp.com/glennsqlperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/DSC02365.jpg?resize=700%2C400&ssl=1

On this one, the button has a label. The "white" port
on the stack to the left, bottom-most, is where the
USB stick goes.

https://images.bjorn3d.com/Material/revimages/motherboards/ASUS_P9X79_Pro/BIOSFlash.jpg

For a few machines then, a different challenge awaits.
Due to the relatively poor "interface" on this
idea, it's hard to tell whether it has started and
is flashing, or it has "thrown an error". That involves
two different blinking patterns of a single red LED.
Naturally, the documentation explains none of this.

Paul

Re: AI Suite 3

<u9g9fs$3p5e8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98990&group=uk.d-i-y#98990

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: AI Suite 3
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 10:59:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 09:59 UTC

Well, normally a well written installer is capable of replacing anything it
took out when uninstalling, however you could look for install point in the
system you can roll back to, as that should put the machine back as long
as the installer was written correctly, but these points are reversible so
you would not lose anything by trying. I see this function is on Windows 10
as it was on 7, so one assumes it works.
Normally what programs tend to do if they want to use their DLL, is merely
move a pointer in the register to point to their one rather than the Windows
one and of course these changes are logged so should be undoable. What it
cannot protect you against is manual deletion of files and folders by the
user. Often if that is done either a reinstall of windows or a system file
check is needed.
Brian

--

--: