From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Phishing?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:29:33 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:29 UTC

In message <u9e531$39kn8$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 21/07/2023 14:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <khveraFp20nU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
>><tim@streater.me.uk> writes

>>> We're not talking about the T'Bird headers, but those of the email
>>>you got
>>> from NS&I. Should be 20-30 lines of text.
>> I'm beginning to regret asking:-)
>> My mail is collected by Namesco. I read it using Thunderbird.
>
>In thunderbird, do CTRL+U while reading a message - it will then show
>the entire email in its raw text format without any interpretation.
>That will let you see all the original mail headers.

OK John. I have scribbled that down somewhere readily available.
And thanks for the full explanation.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Phishing?

<ojM2JJ0Q1tukFwti@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98966&group=uk.d-i-y#98966

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:32:32 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:32 UTC

In message <khvu2uFrdvdU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>mm0fmf wrote:
>
>> You can be very careful about who you mail and who therefore has your
>>address. But you cannot make those recipients be careful. So when they
>>get compromised in some way then your mail address, which is in their
>>address books etc. still gets out to bad actors.
>
>But if you give out a unique email address per recipient, if/when they
>do get compromised you can just kill that one address ...

I have been online since 1993. Not happened yet... as far as I know!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Phishing?

<ki064gFs8ukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98968&group=uk.d-i-y#98968

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:54:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:54 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

> Andy Burns writes:
>
>> if you give out a unique email address per recipient, if/when they
>> do get compromised you can just kill that one address ...
>
> I have been online since 1993. Not happened yet... as far as I know!

Multiple times here, from one-man outfits to trillion-yen companies

Re: Phishing?

<5ac7996ec2charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98969&group=uk.d-i-y#98969

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 23 20:00:03 UTC
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:00 UTC

In article <R8eIuprZ0lukFwLP@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>,
Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <u9dkc8$36kct$2@dont-email.me>, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> writes
> >Am 21/07/2023 um 08:51 schrieb Tim Lamb:
> >> Curious about an e-mail from NS&I questioning my contact details.
> >>Looks authentic but when I logged in normally all my details are
> >>correct.
> >> The only recent event is a temporary number on my mobile while O2/
> >>Vfone organised the transfer.
> >> The other unrelated event is a call back from emergency services
> >>(pocket dialling) where they wished me to confirm my address details!
> >>Clearly they would have my mobile phone number but how is that linked
> >>to my residential address?
> >
> >Check the sending SMTP server IP address in the headers (the one with
> >"received : from ").

> Hmm. outgoing@emailnsandi.com looks correct.

I'd have expected NSandI to use a .gov suffix not a .com one

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Phishing?

<ki0aagFtb2sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98972&group=uk.d-i-y#98972

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Jul 2023 21:06:24 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:06 UTC

On 21 Jul 2023 at 21:00:03 BST, "charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

> In article <R8eIuprZ0lukFwLP@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <u9dkc8$36kct$2@dont-email.me>, Ottavio Caruso
>> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> writes
>>>
>>> Check the sending SMTP server IP address in the headers (the one with
>>> "received : from ").
>
>> Hmm. outgoing@emailnsandi.com looks correct.
>>>

> I'd have expected NSandI to use a .gov suffix not a .com one

Should be .co.uk really, rather than .com, and for a non-commercial outfit
..org.uk makes the most sense.

--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - GB Shaw to Churchill. "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

Re: Phishing?

<SdQyp2NQlvukFwJk@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98973&group=uk.d-i-y#98973

From: diy...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:32:00 +0100
 by: Adrian - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:32 UTC

In message <ojM2JJ0Q1tukFwti@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <khvu2uFrdvdU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
><usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>>mm0fmf wrote:
>>
>>> You can be very careful about who you mail and who therefore has
>>>your address. But you cannot make those recipients be careful. So
>>>when they get compromised in some way then your mail address, which
>>>is in their address books etc. still gets out to bad actors.
>>
>>But if you give out a unique email address per recipient, if/when they
>>do get compromised you can just kill that one address ...
>
>I have been online since 1993. Not happened yet... as far as I know!

Lucky you. It has happened several times here.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: Phishing?

<u9fu08$3nkiu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=98978&group=uk.d-i-y#98978

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 07:46:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 06:46 UTC

On 21/07/2023 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <khvu2uFrdvdU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>> mm0fmf wrote:
>>
>>> You can be very careful about who you mail and who therefore has your
>>> address. But you cannot make those recipients be careful. So when
>>> they get compromised in some way then your mail address, which is in
>>> their address books etc. still gets out to bad actors.
>>
>> But if you give out a unique email address per recipient, if/when they
>> do get compromised you can just kill that one address ...
>
> I have been online since 1993. Not happened yet... as far as I know!

Happened many times to me. Addresses that I hardly ever use receive
spam. Its no big deal.

Dealing with spam 10 - 20 times my wanted email is simply routine.

I think I lose about 70% of uk.d-i-y postings too as the posters are
killfiled

--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Re: Phishing?

<u9galg$3p9du$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99000&group=uk.d-i-y#99000

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 11:23:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 10:23 UTC

Normally they ask you where you live, I guess you could move, but where
would they say the billing address was then?

I never respond to any emails that look like they are going to ask for
details through a web site, as the real company would already know them.
Also, they often address you as your email address, I know Virgin and others
will address you by whatever name you agree with them to be, Nobody else
would know your name, though in my case they could guess it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> Curious about an e-mail from NS&I questioning my contact details. Looks
> authentic but when I logged in normally all my details are correct.
> The only recent event is a temporary number on my mobile while O2/ Vfone
> organised the transfer.
>
> The other unrelated event is a call back from emergency services (pocket
> dialling) where they wished me to confirm my address details! Clearly they
> would have my mobile phone number but how is that linked to my residential
> address?
> --
> Tim Lamb

Re: Phishing?

<u9gkvq$3qjmu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99041&group=uk.d-i-y#99041

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:18:49 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:18 UTC

On 21/07/2023 21:00, charles wrote:
> In article <R8eIuprZ0lukFwLP@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <u9dkc8$36kct$2@dont-email.me>, Ottavio Caruso
>> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> writes
>>>
>>> Check the sending SMTP server IP address in the headers (the one with
>>> "received : from ").
>
>> Hmm. outgoing@emailnsandi.com looks correct.
>>>

> I'd have expected NSandI to use a .gov suffix not a .com one

Prevents the scammers from using the .com URL, whereas they
cannot use the org.uk or gov.uk ones.

Re: Phishing?

<u9gor5$3qvst$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99064&group=uk.d-i-y#99064

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:24:37 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 14:24 UTC

On 22/07/2023 14:18, Andrew wrote:
> On 21/07/2023 21:00, charles wrote:
>>
>> I'd have expected  NSandI to use a .gov suffix not a .com one
>>

> Prevents the scammers from using the .com URL, whereas they
> cannot use the org.uk or gov.uk ones.

I too would have expected a different suffix from NS&I. However I would
also have expected them to register the .com synonyms.

No reason why they can't do both.

Andy

Re: Phishing?

<u9h8i7$3tp82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99083&group=uk.d-i-y#99083

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:52:54 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:52 UTC

On 21/07/2023 20:21, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <u9ea6q$3antn$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm

>> Looking at text record info from their domain:
>>
>> C:\Users\John>nslookup
>> Default Server:  dns.google
>> Address:  8.8.8.8
>>
>>> set type=txt
>>> email.nsandi.com
>> Server:  dns.google
>> Address:  8.8.8.8
>>
>> Non-authoritative answer:
>> email.nsandi.com        canonical name = maxemail.emailcenteruk.com
>> maxemail.emailcenteruk.com      text =
>
> Snip totally confusing mathematical/alphabetic diarrhoea

I will pass your appreciation of the output from their nslookup tool to
microsoft's developers :-)

(To be fair I did not need to include the full log of the command line
session, but thought it worth doing since it demonstrates how to query
other types of information from the public DNS records)

>> Did Tim miss the . in the domain?

> Yes. Humble apologies:-)

That makes likelihood that the email was legit stronger since it was
from a an actual domain associated with the organisation the message
purported to come from, rather than a non existent one.

(and getting mail delivered reliably from a non existent domain is much
harder these days - most mail systems will just drop it)

> I was anxious to get started hand harvesting 4.5 acres of Ragwort before
> the ground dries anymore

And to be fair, more fun than wading through email headers!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Phishing?

<u9j3m6$83dl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99142&group=uk.d-i-y#99142

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 12:41:57 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 11:41 UTC

On 21/07/2023 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <khvu2uFrdvdU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>> mm0fmf wrote:
>>
>>> You can be very careful about who you mail and who therefore has your
>>> address. But you cannot make those recipients be careful. So when
>>> they get compromised in some way then your mail address, which is in
>>> their address books etc. still gets out to bad actors.
>>
>> But if you give out a unique email address per recipient, if/when they
>> do get compromised you can just kill that one address ...
>
> I have been online since 1993. Not happened yet... as far as I know!

This might tell you:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Phishing?

<mxjV9WDqMSvkFw0p@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99145&group=uk.d-i-y#99145

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:55:06 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 12:55 UTC

In message <u9j3m6$83dl$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 21/07/2023 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <khvu2uFrdvdU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
>><usenet@andyburns.uk> writes

>>> But if you give out a unique email address per recipient, if/when
>>>they do get compromised you can just kill that one address ...
>> I have been online since 1993. Not happened yet... as far as I know!
>
>This might tell you:
>
>https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Indeed. No PWNAGE found.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Phishing?

<ki4mm5Fjp16U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99146&group=uk.d-i-y#99146

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 14:01:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:01 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

>> https://haveibeenpwned.com/
>
> Indeed. No PWNAGE found.

Presumably *not* for your Demon address?

Re: Phishing?

<b0yKsyFuYWvkFwzi@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99180&group=uk.d-i-y#99180

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:41:02 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:41 UTC

In message <ki4mm5Fjp16U3@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>>> https://haveibeenpwned.com/
>> Indeed. No PWNAGE found.
>
>Presumably *not* for your Demon address?

Indeed. I did enter my current mail address:-)

--
Tim Lamb