aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Recalcitrant jar lids

SubjectAuthor
* Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsN_Cook
|`- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsChris Green
+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsDavey
|+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsColin Bignell
||`* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsJonathan
|| `- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsColin Bignell
|+- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsRJH
| `- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsSpike
|+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsS Viemeister
|||`* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
||| `* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsS Viemeister
|||  `- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
||+- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidscharles
||+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsTheo
|||+- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsRobin
|||+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidscharles
|||`- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsDave W
||`* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsMike Clarke
|| `- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidswasbit
|`- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsS Viemeister
+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsalan_m
|+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher
||`- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsBob Henson
|+* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsChris Hogg
||`- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidswasbit
|`- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsRod Speed
+- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsBrian Gaff
+- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsJohn J
`* Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsTim Streater
 `- Re: Recalcitrant jar lidsThe Natural Philosopher

Pages:12
Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9ns20$11mej$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99362&group=uk.d-i-y#99362

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Recalcitrant jar lids
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:02:24 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:02 UTC

Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
them for an hour.
Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
almost no effort.

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9nv87$12g1h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99371&group=uk.d-i-y#99371

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Recalcitrant jar lids
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:56:55 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:56 UTC

> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
> them for an hour.
> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
> almost no effort.

Your mummy never told you, bash the edge of the lid with a mallet,
failing that a small lump of wood of that sort of size.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9nvd9$12g4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99372&group=uk.d-i-y#99372

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:59:36 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:59 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:02:24 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga,
> and left them for an hour.
> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
> almost no effort.

Devices for gripping over-tight jar lids are available, every home
should have one.
--
Davey.

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<ki9e69Fcp8mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99375&group=uk.d-i-y#99375

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Jul 2023 08:07:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:07 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
> them for an hour.
> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
> almost no effort.

Run the lid of the jar under hot-ish water, differential expansion will
ease the lid’s removal, and it only takes a minute. And you don’t burn your
hands…

--
Spike

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<jcWdnSlp7bzQHiL5nZ2dnZeNn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99380&group=uk.d-i-y#99380

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:16:55 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:16 UTC

On 25/07/2023 08:59, Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:02:24 +0100
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
>> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
>> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga,
>> and left them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>>

> Devices for gripping over-tight jar lids are available, every home
> should have one.

My late partner had one of those. She still needed me to use it for her
as it required a larger hand than she had to grip it well.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<b8e4pj-7oud1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99388&group=uk.d-i-y#99388

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:38:03 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:38 UTC

N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 08:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> >
> > Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
> > off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
> > for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
> > them for an hour.
> > Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
> > almost no effort.
> >

> Your mummy never told you, bash the edge of the lid with a mallet,
> failing that a small lump of wood of that sort of size.

Or usually more convenient, tap round the edge of the lid on a hard
floor or worktop. No need to find an implement to do it with then! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<ki9hudFda5fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99390&group=uk.d-i-y#99390

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:11:42 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:11 UTC

> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
> them for an hour.
> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
> almost no effort.

Jarkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4m2966b_A

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o3qa$12u40$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99391&group=uk.d-i-y#99391

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:14:50 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:14 UTC

On 25/07/2023 08:59, Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:02:24 +0100
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
>> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
>> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga,
>> and left them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>>

> Devices for gripping over-tight jar lids are available, every home
> should have one.
I had one but it didn't fit, have ordered a strap wrench for next time.

--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o3ss$12u40$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99392&group=uk.d-i-y#99392

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:16:12 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:16 UTC

On 25/07/2023 09:07, Spike wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
>> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
>> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
>> them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>
> Run the lid of the jar under hot-ish water, differential expansion will
> ease the lid’s removal, and it only takes a minute. And you don’t burn your
> hands…

It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
rubber seal.
I could have made a hole in the lid...
--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o41d$12u40$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99393&group=uk.d-i-y#99393

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:18:37 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:18 UTC

On 25/07/2023 10:11, alan_m wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 08:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
>> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
>> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and
>> left them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>>

> Jarkey
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4m2966b_A

Never seen one of those before. Probably would work well in my situation
--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

Herbert Spencer

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o537$13463$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99396&group=uk.d-i-y#99396

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:36:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:36 UTC

Is there not a raised bit in the centre of the lid to press? Otherwise a
strong fork under one side can let in enough air to allow it to be
unscrewed. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit for
> weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left them for
> an hour.
> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with almost
> no effort.
>

> --
> Gun Control: The law that ensures that only criminals have guns.

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<ki9k2lFdlsuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99397&group=uk.d-i-y#99397

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:48:07 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:48 UTC

On 25/07/2023 09:07, Spike wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
>> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
>> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
>> them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>
> Run the lid of the jar under hot-ish water, differential expansion will
> ease the lid’s removal, and it only takes a minute. And you don’t burn your
> hands…

Yes.
My mother taught me that one.
Or stand the jar upside down in a pan of hot water.

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<ki9k5kFdlsuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99398&group=uk.d-i-y#99398

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:49:42 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:49 UTC

> On 25/07/2023 09:07, Spike wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
>>> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
>>> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
>>> them for an hour.
>>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>>> almost no effort.
>>
>> Run the lid of the jar under hot-ish water, differential expansion will
>> ease the lid’s removal, and it only takes a minute. And you don’t burn
>> your
>> hands…
>>

> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
> rubber seal.
> I could have made a hole in the lid...

The hot water expands the stuff inside, lessening the suction.

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<ki9k75FdmcpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99399&group=uk.d-i-y#99399

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:50:29 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:50 UTC

On 25.7.23 10:18 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 10:11, alan_m wrote:
>> On 25/07/2023 08:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
>>> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
>>> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and
>>> left them for an hour.
>>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>>> almost no effort.
>>>

>> Jarkey
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4m2966b_A
>>

> Never seen one of those before. Probably would work well in my situation

They work a treat. We have one of that type and a similar plastic
device for opening ring-pull cans (most are these days). They're
probably the most useful devices in the kitchen, and inexpensive too.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o6hn$139bp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99400&group=uk.d-i-y#99400

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:01:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:01 UTC

On 25 Jul 2023 at 08:59:36 BST, Davey wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:02:24 +0100
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
>> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
>> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga,
>> and left them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>>

> Devices for gripping over-tight jar lids are available, every home
> should have one.

Pair of marigolds does it for me and my arthritic thumbs.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<5ac9748ebecharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99402&group=uk.d-i-y#99402

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 23 10:30:02 UTC
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: charles - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:30 UTC

In article <u9o3ss$12u40$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 09:07, Spike wrote:
> > The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >>
> >> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
> >> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
> >> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and
> >> left them for an hour. Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the
> >> lid popped off with almost no effort.
> >
> > Run the lid of the jar under hot-ish water, differential expansion will
> > ease the lid's removal, and it only takes a minute. And you don't burn
> > your hands...
> >

> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
> rubber seal. I could have made a hole in the lid... --

I do. Automatic centre punch is prefect for doing it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o8cb$13c4t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99404&group=uk.d-i-y#99404

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:32:43 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:32 UTC

On 25/07/2023 10:49, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 10:16, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Run the lid of the jar under hot-ish water, differential expansion will
>>> ease the lid’s removal, and it only takes a minute. And you don’t
>>> burn your
>>> hands…
>>>

>> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
>> rubber seal.
>> I could have made a hole in the lid...
>
> The hot water expands the stuff inside, lessening the suction.

Which is what time in the aga did.

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o8el$13c4t$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99405&group=uk.d-i-y#99405

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:33:57 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:33 UTC

On 25/07/2023 11:01, RJH wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2023 at 08:59:36 BST, Davey wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:02:24 +0100
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not
>>> come off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to
>>> visit for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga,
>>> and left them for an hour.
>>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>>> almost no effort.
>>>

>> Devices for gripping over-tight jar lids are available, every home
>> should have one.
>
> Pair of marigolds does it for me and my arthritic thumbs.

My problem is that this particular brand is super tight and nerve damage
means my left arm and hand are operating about 50%.

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<ki9n0lFe5q2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99406&group=uk.d-i-y#99406

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:38:15 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:38 UTC

> On 25/07/2023 10:49, S Viemeister wrote:
>>> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
>>> rubber seal.
>>> I could have made a hole in the lid...
>>
>> The hot water expands the stuff inside, lessening the suction.
>
> Which is what time in the aga did.

Yes, but the hot water trick is faster, and you are less likely to burn
your hands.

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<u9o8pj$13c4t$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99407&group=uk.d-i-y#99407

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:39:47 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:39 UTC

On 25/07/2023 11:38, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 11:32, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> The hot water expands the stuff inside, lessening the suction.
>>
>> Which is what time in the aga did.
>>
> Yes, but the hot water trick is faster, and you are less likely to burn
> your hands.

I doubt its faster.
I left it in a long time because it was VERY tight

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<H9j*AO+lz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99410&group=uk.d-i-y#99410

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Jul 2023 11:48:09 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:48 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
> rubber seal.
> I could have made a hole in the lid...

Just use a blunt table knife/screwdriver to lever the edge of the lid
slightly: lets air in to break the suction. No need for angle grinders or
complicated other solutions.

Theo

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<262d5de5-f98b-c051-21e4-f3c45037c5ae@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99413&group=uk.d-i-y#99413

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:58:38 +0100
 by: Robin - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:58 UTC

On 25/07/2023 11:48, Theo wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
>> rubber seal.
>> I could have made a hole in the lid...
>
> Just use a blunt table knife/screwdriver to lever the edge of the lid
> slightly: lets air in to break the suction. No need for angle grinders or
> complicated other solutions.

+1 (if all the opening aids fail)

--
Robin

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<5ac9788d35charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99416&group=uk.d-i-y#99416

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!news2.arglkargh.de!news.mixmin.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder3.usenet.farm!feeder4.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news.usenet.farm
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 23 11:15:02 UTC
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: charles - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:15 UTC

In article <H9j*AO+lz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
> > rubber seal.
> > I could have made a hole in the lid...

> Just use a blunt table knife/screwdriver to lever the edge of the lid
> slightly: lets air in to break the suction. No need for angle grinders or
> complicated other solutions.

but, when the glass doesn't give anything to press the blade against?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<bcfaf72a-bb0c-f928-f2a6-fd02ef9a0a98@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99417&group=uk.d-i-y#99417

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:30:50 +0100
 by: Robin - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:30 UTC

On 25/07/2023 12:15, charles wrote:
> In article <H9j*AO+lz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> It wasn't the tightness of the lid, it was the suction against the
>>> rubber seal.
>>> I could have made a hole in the lid...
>
>> Just use a blunt table knife/screwdriver to lever the edge of the lid
>> slightly: lets air in to break the suction. No need for angle grinders or
>> complicated other solutions.
>
> but, when the glass doesn't give anything to press the blade against?

twist
--
Robin

Re: Recalcitrant jar lids

<sfdvbipd2io8e0briuadtvv7ttt46spa8d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99420&group=uk.d-i-y#99420

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:47:42 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:47 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:11:42 +0100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 25/07/2023 08:02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>> Faced yet again with a jar of pickled gherkins whose lid would not come
>> off, and the friend who opened them last time for me not due to visit
>> for weeks, I bunged the lot into the bottom oven of the Aga, and left
>> them for an hour.
>> Had to use cloths to stop burning myself by the lid popped off with
>> almost no effort.
>>

>Jarkey
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4m2966b_A

For jars or bottles with metal screw-top lids, I use one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Cabinet-Jar-Opener-Multi-Sized/dp/B0857FXK7S

--
Chris