It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Holden Astra oil change question

SubjectAuthor
* Holden Astra oil change questionTrevor Wilson
+* Re: Holden Astra oil change questionNoddy

Pages:12
Holden Astra oil change question

<j4m4i2FhdmeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9945&group=aus.cars#9945

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Holden Astra oil change question
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 08:14:43 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 21:14 UTC

My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.

I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
months, whichever comes first.

Am I correct?

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss4ofa$do1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9948&group=aus.cars#9948

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Holden Astra oil change question
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 08:52:40 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 21:52 UTC

On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
> Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
> oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>
> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> months, whichever comes first.
>
> Am I correct?

I believe so.

The factory service schedule on those things is 15k km's or once every
12 months I believe, but personally I prefer 10. I think 15k km's
service intervals are a load of shit that exist only to make car serving
appear cheaper, with manufacturers not giving a crap about the long term
effects of such extended intervals as any problems that arise as a
result will occur long after the warranty period has ended.

It's his money, but he's not doing his engine any favours.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mgokFjlktU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9953&group=aus.cars#9953

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:42:58 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:42 UTC

On 18/1/22 8:52 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>
> I believe so.

He is either correct or he's not.

> The factory service schedule on those things is 15k km's or once every
> 12 months I believe, but personally I prefer 10. I think 15k km's

What *you* personally prefer doesn't come into the equation. Oil changes
are done on the basis of kilometres, time and/or vehicle usage. There
are no hard and fast service intervals.

> service intervals are a load of shit that exist only to make car serving
> appear cheaper, with manufacturers not giving a crap about the long term

Modern oils and engine ventilation systems make a 15k service interval
quite possible. If you were doing nothing but long distance highway
commutes, say 100k round trip daily on the freeway at the speed limit,
20k could be considered reasonable. If you took a year or more to do
this, then you consider oil changes by *time* instead. You then look at
the *type of driving*. If you were doing only 2 or 3 kilometres daily,
then you might need to consider an oil change at 5k or less. The
manufacturer's 15k service interval is but a guide, a *reference point*,
time and type of use trump mileage every single time. The has never been
a hard and fast case for oil change at a fixed mileage. Every service
schedule will refer to time and use type as overriding factors. It has
been the case *before* I entered the motor trade, for as long as I have
been in the trade and will continue to be the case until such time the
ICE is dead and gone.

> effects of such extended intervals as any problems that arise as a
> result will occur long after the warranty period has ended.
>
> It's his money, but he's not doing his engine any favours.

Until you know the service style of the vehicle in question, you are, as
usual, just talking out of your arse. Any *decent* mechanic will consult
the owner and verify the type of vehicle use *before* recommending an
oil change interval - because it makes a huge difference. The service
intervals specified in the vehicle's service schedule is merely a
*guide*, a *starting point*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<8249c7d9-943f-4b0f-8538-bfc1a528686an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9955&group=aus.cars#9955

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:58:15 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:58 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 08:52:45 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> > My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
> > Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
> > oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
> >
> > I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> > months, whichever comes first.
> >
> > Am I correct?
> I believe so.
>
> The factory service schedule on those things is 15k km's or once every
> 12 months I believe, but personally I prefer 10. I think 15k km's
> service intervals are a load of shit that exist only to make car serving
> appear cheaper, with manufacturers not giving a crap about the long term
> effects of such extended intervals as any problems that arise as a
> result will occur long after the warranty period has ended.
>
> It's his money, but he's not doing his engine any favours.
~~~~~~~~~~
For mine, 6 months or 3-5000 k for (especially) an older vehicle that never gets really up to temp.
Oil is cheap insurance!.

> --
> --
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mileFjv5cU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9958&group=aus.cars#9958

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:15:26 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 01:15 UTC

On 18/1/22 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
> Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
> oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>
> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> months, whichever comes first.
>
> Am I correct?

Don't know the official Holden service interval but 20k sounds way too much.
I always change mine same as you, 10k or 12months, my car is coming up
to 12months since its last service but its only done 6500km since last year.

--
Daryl

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss55ge$r2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9960&group=aus.cars#9960

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:35:10 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 01:35 UTC

On 18/01/2022 11:58 am, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 08:52:45 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
>>> Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
>>> oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>> I believe so.
>>
>> The factory service schedule on those things is 15k km's or once every
>> 12 months I believe, but personally I prefer 10. I think 15k km's
>> service intervals are a load of shit that exist only to make car serving
>> appear cheaper, with manufacturers not giving a crap about the long term
>> effects of such extended intervals as any problems that arise as a
>> result will occur long after the warranty period has ended.
>>
>> It's his money, but he's not doing his engine any favours.
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> For mine, 6 months or 3-5000 k for (especially) an older vehicle that never gets really up to temp.
> Oil is cheap insurance!.

6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
year is fairly safe.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mm98FkfshU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9971&group=aus.cars#9971

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:17:23 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:17 UTC

On 18/01/2022 11:58 am, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 08:52:45 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his 2003
>>> Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me this. His
>>> oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>> I believe so.
>>
>> The factory service schedule on those things is 15k km's or once every
>> 12 months I believe, but personally I prefer 10. I think 15k km's
>> service intervals are a load of shit that exist only to make car serving
>> appear cheaper, with manufacturers not giving a crap about the long term
>> effects of such extended intervals as any problems that arise as a
>> result will occur long after the warranty period has ended.
>>
>> It's his money, but he's not doing his engine any favours.
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> For mine, 6 months or 3-5000 k for (especially) an older vehicle that never gets really up to temp.
> Oil is cheap insurance!.

Oh wow! jonzie said something that was informative and made sense, and
not his usual babbling garbage. wonders will never cease!

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mmbmFkfshU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9972&group=aus.cars#9972

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:18:41 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:18 UTC

On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>
> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> months, whichever comes first.
>
> Am I correct?

yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<057bb2f4-b9fd-41c5-a3dd-57e67299f0f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9974&group=aus.cars#9974

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:27:18 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:27 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 12:35:12 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 11:58 am, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

> >> I believe so.
> >>
> >> The factory service schedule on those things is 15k km's or once every
> >> 12 months I believe, but personally I prefer 10. I think 15k km's
> >> service intervals are a load of shit that exist only to make car serving
> >> appear cheaper, with manufacturers not giving a crap about the long term
> >> effects of such extended intervals as any problems that arise as a
> >> result will occur long after the warranty period has ended.
> >>
> >> It's his money, but he's not doing his engine any favours.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~
> > For mine, 6 months or 3-5000 k for (especially) an older vehicle that never gets really up to temp.
> > Oil is cheap insurance!.
> 6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
> vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
> year is fairly safe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not when the short, cool/cold engine running is putting contaminants in the sump at a rate of knots. ;) If its doing an *average* amount of K`s, Sure up the interval.
> --
> --
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<e44f801f-f461-4ad6-a65c-0f79e48b2c4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9976&group=aus.cars#9976

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:29:42 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:29 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 13:18:35 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> > My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
> > 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
> > this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
> >
> > I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
> > months, whichever comes first.
> >
> > Am I correct?
> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
~~~~~~~~
*You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
> --
> "his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
> the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mn0pFkfshU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9978&group=aus.cars#9978

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:29:56 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:29 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:27 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 12:35:12 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~
>>> For mine, 6 months or 3-5000 k for (especially) an older vehicle that never gets really up to temp.
>>> Oil is cheap insurance!.
>> 6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
>> vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
>> year is fairly safe.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Not when the short,

define short please..

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mn3oFkfshU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9979&group=aus.cars#9979

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:31:31 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:31 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 13:18:35 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
> ~~~~~~~~
> *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......

it wasn't

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mn7kFkq22U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9980&group=aus.cars#9980

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:33:22 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:33 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:18 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>
>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>> months, whichever comes first.
>>
>> Am I correct?
>

> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this

**Why? I only know about Escorts, VH, VL and VP Commodores (6 cyl), my
Nissan Stagea and my Subaru Levorg.

The last two get 6 month oil changes. Without fail. When the Levorg is
out of warranty, I may stretch it to 12 month intervals. The Stagea will
remain at 6 monthly intervals on the recommendation of my mechanic.
The (3) Commodores I owned got 12 month/10,000km oil changes. Without fail.
The Escorts got more frequent oil changes, because they worked hard (no
speed cameras back then). Again: Without fail.

The only engine problems I ever experienced was:

My 1.3L Escort gradually reached a point where it would not rev past
5,500RPM. The mechanic told me that the valve springs needed replacement.

My VH Commodore was driven for as much as 50km with no coolant. It took
another 50,000km, before the engine finally died.

With fluids I have always been religious in attention to detail. The
Commodore debacle was a failed hose and dumb temperature placement by GMH.

I know nothing about Astras. Which is why I asked the question.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<34044748-23e5-411b-8b17-4b4ad63a10b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9981&group=aus.cars#9981

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:40:23 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:40 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 13:29:47 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 1:27 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

> >> 6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
> >> vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
> >> year is fairly safe.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Not when the short,
> define short please..
> > cool/cold engine running is putting contaminants in the sump at a rate of knots. ;) If its doing an *average* amount of K`s, Sure up the interval.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
READ MY FUCKING POAST!!!>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Noddy.
> --
> "his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
> the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mp46Fl4skU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9983&group=aus.cars#9983

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:05:40 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 03:05 UTC

On 18/1/22 1:27 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 12:35:12 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~
>>> For mine, 6 months or 3-5000 k for (especially) an older vehicle that never gets really up to temp.
>>> Oil is cheap insurance!.
>> 6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
>> vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
>> year is fairly safe.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Not when the short, cool/cold engine running is putting contaminants in the sump at a rate of knots. ;) If its doing an *average* amount of K`s, Sure up the interval.

Petrol or diesel?
If diesel I'd agree with the shorter service period.
My MB doesn't do a lot of klms but it warms up quick and I use synthetic
oil so it gets serviced at 12mths long before it does 10k klm.

--
Daryl

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4mp8vFl4skU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9984&group=aus.cars#9984

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:08:15 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 03:08 UTC

On 18/1/22 1:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 13:18:35 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
> ~~~~~~~~
> *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......

LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
say:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss5bls$q78$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9985&group=aus.cars#9985

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:20:28 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 03:20 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:08 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/1/22 1:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

>>> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
>> ~~~~~~~~
>>   *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
>
> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
> say:-)

With room left over to include War and Peace!

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<3a9c7026-8d1d-4a12-8e81-a6300b818ca7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9989&group=aus.cars#9989

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:09:41 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 04:09 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 14:05:44 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/1/22 1:27 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

> >> 6 monthly intervals is certainly short, unless you're exposing your
> >> vehicle to a fairly harsh operating environment. 10 thousand or once a
> >> year is fairly safe.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Not when the short, cool/cold engine running is putting contaminants in the sump at a rate of knots. ;) If its doing an *average* amount of K`s, Sure up the interval.
> Petrol or diesel?
> If diesel I'd agree with the shorter service period.
> My MB doesn't do a lot of klms but it warms up quick and I use synthetic
> oil so it gets serviced at 12mths long before it does 10k klm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Petrol *or* diesel, however synthetic?, sure
twelve months.

> --
> Daryl

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss5i5j$o95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9991&group=aus.cars#9991

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:11:12 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 05:11 UTC

On 18/01/2022 2:08 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/1/22 1:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

>>> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
>> ~~~~~~~~
>>   *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
>
> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
> say:-)

ROTFL :)

This is the fucking *moron* who thought regular timing belt changes were
an "unnecessary rip-off" and who couldn't walk into an auto parts store
and buy the correct coolant for his car even *after* he read the list of
suitable models on the label :)

The ridiculous irony is that he has "A man's got to be aware of his
limitations" as his tag line :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<ss5im2$q9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9992&group=aus.cars#9992

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:20:02 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 05:20 UTC

On 18/01/2022 2:20 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 1:08 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~
>>>   *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
>>
>> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
>> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
>> say:-)
>
> With room left over to include War and Peace!

In three different languages.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<1mq0nl4uzua33$.vc9lt78rwkeq$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10000&group=aus.cars#10000

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:42:54 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 06:42 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:20:28 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:

> On 18/01/2022 1:08 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~
>>>   *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
>>
>> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
>> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
>> say:-)
>
> With room left over to include War and Peace!

Ganging up *again* Gumps.
Quite the hypocrite aren't you.

alvey
“I personally don't care one iota whether Noddy is qualified or not, what
I see here is a group of dickheads trying their best to bully someone. FFS
Grow up and grow a set.” Gumps, 08Aug19

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4n88tFnqm1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10003&group=aus.cars#10003

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:24:23 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 07:24 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:40 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 13:29:47 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Not when the short,
>> define short please..
>>> cool/cold engine running is putting contaminants in the sump at a rate of knots. ;) If its doing an *average* amount of K`s, Sure up the interval.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> READ MY FUCKING POAST!!!>

I'm not sure what makes a 'poast' a 'fucking poast', but I did read your
'poast' moron, and whilst you mentioned that the total mileage within
the six month period was short, you did not specify the mileage of the
journeys comprising it. for example 5k miles could consist of 5 trips of
1,000 klms each, or 10 trips of 500 klms, or 100 trips of 50 klms, or in
fact any combination of trips of any duration. since you had already
said what constitutes 'shor't in total mileage, I (naturally) assumed
you would realize I was asking what you consider a short journey/trip to
be. ie. what mileage constitutes a short trip? a trip to the supermarket
of just 5 klms or a trip of 50 klms? however, obviously it was not clear
what I was asking.. for you at least.

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4n8jeFnshjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10005&group=aus.cars#10005

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:29:59 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 07:29 UTC

On 18/01/2022 1:33 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 1:18 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 18/01/2022 8:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> My idiot part time employee thought he had to change the oil in his
>>> 2003 Holden Astra every 20,000km. I was horrified when he told me
>>> this. His oil level is low and the oil is very dirty.
>>>
>>> I suggested that he should change the oil every 10,000km or every 12
>>> months, whichever comes first.
>>>
>>> Am I correct?
>>

>> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
>>

> **Why?

I thought it was common knowledge that oil change intervals should not
exceed 12 months or 10,000 klms. whilst there maybe (are?) cars that
have longer oil change intervals, it's most unlikely that an Astra would
have a 20,000 klm oil change interval, as you yourself thought.

> I only know about Escorts, VH, VL and VP Commodores (6 cyl), my Nissan
> Stagea and my Subaru Levorg.
>
> The last two get 6 month oil changes. Without fail. When the Levorg is
> out of warranty, I may stretch it to 12 month intervals. The Stagea
> will remain at 6 monthly intervals on the recommendation of my mechanic.
> The (3) Commodores I owned got 12 month/10,000km oil changes. Without
> fail.
> The Escorts got more frequent oil changes, because they worked hard
> (no speed cameras back then). Again: Without fail.
>
> The only engine problems I ever experienced was:
>
> My 1.3L Escort gradually reached a point where it would not rev past
> 5,500RPM. The mechanic told me that the valve springs needed replacement.
>
> My VH Commodore was driven for as much as 50km with no coolant. It
> took another 50,000km, before the engine finally died.
>
> With fluids I have always been religious in attention to detail. The
> Commodore debacle was a failed hose and dumb temperature placement by
> GMH.
>
> I know nothing about Astras. Which is why I asked the question.

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4n8quFnts2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10006&group=aus.cars#10006

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:34:01 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 07:34 UTC

On 18/01/2022 2:08 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/1/22 1:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

>>> yes, but I'm surprised you don't know this
>> ~~~~~~~~
>>   *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
>
> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what mechanics
> say:-)

so who is the mechanic who's commenting here, dumbass?

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: Holden Astra oil change question

<j4nbc1FoaprU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10011&group=aus.cars#10011

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:17:16 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 08:17 UTC

On 18/01/2022 4:11 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/01/2022 2:08 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~
>>>   *You*, off all ppl should *not* be posting smart arse replies.......
>>
>> LOL, Felix's total car knowledge could be written in block letters on
>> the back of a tram ticket yet he dares to comment about what
>> mechanics say:-)
>
> ROTFL :)
>
> This is the fucking *moron* who thought regular timing belt changes
> were an "unnecessary rip-off" and who couldn't walk into an auto parts
> store and buy the correct coolant for his car even *after* he read the
> list of suitable models on the label

I didn't