From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Character Analysis: Max Demian
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 19:39:03 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 18:39 UTC

On 26/07/2023 16:53, David P wrote:

> Character Analysis: Max Demian
> Demian is a puzzling figure. He is obviously very important but only
> in terms of his relationship to Sinclair. Serving in the novel as a
> Christ-like figure who leads Sinclair in his quest, Demian is also the
> spokesman for the philosophical influence of Nietzsche upon Hesse.
> Demian seems, at times, like a real character with supernatural qualities.
> At other times, he seems more like a figment of Sinclair's imagination or
> perhaps his subconscious rather than as a real person. He is probably
> somewhere in between. He does, however, serve as Sinclair's daemon, or
> inner voice, possibly only through his inspiration, which serves to
> activate the deeper recesses of Sinclair's mind. The reader should not be
> discouraged if he finds that Demian defies logical explanation. Hesse
> intended Demian to be this way.
>
> https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/d/demian/character-analysis/max-demian

Yes. I must re-read the novel of my namesake some time. I'm not sure
that analytical notes of literary works are any value, however. I tend
to end up with the work and the notes and no understanding of the
connection between them.

--
Max Demian

Re: Character Analysis: Max Demian

<u9tj8j$1s56n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99597&group=uk.d-i-y#99597

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:09:04 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:09 UTC

I'm sur I am not alone isn wondering what drugs you are one before you put
this on here?
Who is Sinclair?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 26/07/2023 16:53, David P wrote:
>
>> Character Analysis: Max Demian
>> Demian is a puzzling figure. He is obviously very important but only
>> in terms of his relationship to Sinclair. Serving in the novel as a
>> Christ-like figure who leads Sinclair in his quest, Demian is also the
>> spokesman for the philosophical influence of Nietzsche upon Hesse.
>> Demian seems, at times, like a real character with supernatural
>> qualities.
>> At other times, he seems more like a figment of Sinclair's imagination or
>> perhaps his subconscious rather than as a real person. He is probably
>> somewhere in between. He does, however, serve as Sinclair's daemon, or
>> inner voice, possibly only through his inspiration, which serves to
>> activate the deeper recesses of Sinclair's mind. The reader should not be
>> discouraged if he finds that Demian defies logical explanation. Hesse
>> intended Demian to be this way.
>>
>> https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/d/demian/character-analysis/max-demian
>
> Yes. I must re-read the novel of my namesake some time. I'm not sure that
> analytical notes of literary works are any value, however. I tend to end
> up with the work and the notes and no understanding of the connection
> between them.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Character Analysis: Max Demian

<u9u9fd$1u8n1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99634&group=uk.d-i-y#99634

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:28:14 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 17:28 UTC

On 27/07/2023 12:09, Brian Gaff wrote:

> I'm sur I am not alone isn wondering what drugs you are one before you put
> this on here?

I take it you haven't read the book. Sinclair is, I think, Demian's best
mate. (As I said, it's a long time since I read the book.)

--
Max Demian

Re: Character Analysis: Max Demian

<ua0q0n$29hc5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99765&group=uk.d-i-y#99765

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 17:22:48 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 16:22 UTC

On 27/07/2023 19:33, David P wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>> wondering what drugs you are one before you put this on here?
>> Who is Sinclair?
>> Brian
> ------------------
> Demian: The Story of Emil Sinclair's Youth is a bildungsroman by Hermann Hesse,
> first published in 1919; a prologue was added in 1960. Demian was first published
> under the pseudonym "Emil Sinclair", the name of the narrator of the story, but Hesse
> was later revealed to be the author; the tenth edition was the first to bear his name.
>
> Plot summary
> Emil Sinclair is a young boy raised in a middle class home, amidst what is described as
> a Scheinwelt, a play on words meaning "world of light" as well as "world of illusion," so
> entire existence can be summarised as a struggle between two worlds: the show world
> of illusion (related to the Hindu concept of maya) and the real world, the world of spiritual
> truth (see Plato's cave and dualism). Accompanied and prompted by his mysterious classmate
> and friend 'Max Demian', he detaches from and revolts against the superficial ideals of the
> world of appearances and eventually awakens into a realization of self.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demian

The problem with these scholarly explanations of literature (or art) is
they make them seem so complicated I feel I never understood them in the
first place.

--
Max Demian