From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: AGA solid fuel cooker
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:39:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cYPOOpT4VJ6flw76ABUpqWBdScA=
 by: Brian - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:39 UTC

Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 29/06/2023 12:41, Vir Campestris wrote:
>> On 28/06/2023 09:46, David wrote:
>>> FYI they used to light it with a gas poker, although I can still
>>> remember the original installer used charcoal and that was almost 70
>>> years ago.
>>
>> I recall my grandparent's Aga being lit with a gas poker back in the 1960s.
>>
>> Andy
>
> That's how Dad lit our Parkray stove/backboiler in the house
> he had built in 1956. It connected to a nifty gas bayonet device
> next to the fire.

An aunt had a Parkray. As I recall, the preferred method of lighting was
the gas poker but you could used the “traditional” paper and stick method
people used for coal fires ( back then (the mid 60s) ‘everyone’ had coal
fires, central heating was a luxury and the Parkrays were just being fitted
to some houses).

Using sticks left soot on the glass so was frowned upon.

Re: AGA solid fuel cooker

<ua3eo9$2li5q$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99879&group=uk.d-i-y#99879

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:28:57 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:28 UTC

On 29/07/2023 12:39, Brian wrote:
> Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I recall my grandparent's Aga being lit with a gas poker back in the 1960s.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>
>> That's how Dad lit our Parkray stove/backboiler in the house
>> he had built in 1956. It connected to a nifty gas bayonet device
>> next to the fire.
>>

> An aunt had a Parkray. As I recall, the preferred method of lighting was
> the gas poker but you could used the “traditional” paper and stick method
> people used for coal fires ( back then (the mid 60s) ‘everyone’ had coal
> fires, central heating was a luxury and the Parkrays were just being fitted
> to some houses).
>
> Using sticks left soot on the glass so was frowned upon.

firelighters work well in closed stoves