aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?Nick Odell
+- Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?Colin Bignell
`* Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?brian
 `* Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?Colin Bignell
  `- Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?brian

1
Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?

<d75445cd-3058-486d-94e7-9c2d8fa59c32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99421&group=uk.d-i-y#99421

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 05:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?
From: nickod...@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:04 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:56:55 AM UTC+1, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 09:52, Simon Ferrol wrote:
> > My niece went to Italy and she was pissed off, because every time she
> > ordered a latte, she got just a glass of cold milk.
> >
> > Why do they have to take a word from English and change its meaning?
> >
> > SF
> More to the point, why do coffees sold in the UK have so many different
> names? You used to just order coffee, either black or white, with cream
> also sometimes offered.

We went to a greasy spoon near the railway station while we were waiting for a train. My Argentine other half asked me whether I'd like a latte or a capucino or a mocha or an espresso?

Just ask for two coffees, I suggested.

And that was what we got.

Nick
nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?

<rBednX94P_l6WyL5nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99426&group=uk.d-i-y#99426

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 13:59:56 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:59 UTC

On 25/07/2023 13:04, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:56:55 AM UTC+1, Colin Bignell wrote:
>> On 25/07/2023 09:52, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>>> My niece went to Italy and she was pissed off, because every time she
>>> ordered a latte, she got just a glass of cold milk.
>>>
>>> Why do they have to take a word from English and change its meaning?
>>>
>>> SF
>> More to the point, why do coffees sold in the UK have so many different
>> names? You used to just order coffee, either black or white, with cream
>> also sometimes offered.
>
> We went to a greasy spoon near the railway station while we were waiting for a train. My Argentine other half asked me whether I'd like a latte or a capucino or a mocha or an espresso?
>
> Just ask for two coffees, I suggested.
>
> And that was what we got.
>
> Nick
> nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Nice to know such places still exist.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?

<a9lmsnOtqmwkFwLV@b-howie.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99619&group=uk.d-i-y#99619

From: nos...@b-howie.co.uk (brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 14:01:33 +0100
 by: brian - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:01 UTC

In message <d75445cd-3058-486d-94e7-9c2d8fa59c32n@googlegroups.com>,
Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> writes
>On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:56:550 >> On 25/07/2023 09:52, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>> > My niece went to Italy and she was pissed off, because every time she
>> > ordered a latte, she got just a glass of cold milk.
>> >
>> > Why do they have to take a word from English and change its meaning?
>> >
>> > SF
>> More to the point, why do coffees sold in the UK have so many different
>> names? You used to just order coffee, either black or white, with cream
>> also sometimes offered.
>
>We went to a greasy spoon near the railway station while we were
>waiting for a train. My Argentine other half asked me whether I'd like
>a latte or a capucino or a mocha or an espresso?
>
>Just ask for two coffees, I suggested.
>
>And that was what we got.
>
>Nick
>nickodell49@yahoo.ca

I usually ask for industrial coffee with milk . They seem to understand
that.

Brian
--
Brian Howie

Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?

<jbScnUL2dZYdIF_5nZ2dnZeNn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99643&group=uk.d-i-y#99643

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 20:02:08 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 19:02 UTC

On 27/07/2023 14:01, brian wrote:
> In message <d75445cd-3058-486d-94e7-9c2d8fa59c32n@googlegroups.com>,
> Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> writes

>>> More to the point, why do coffees sold in the UK have so many different
>>> names? You used to just order coffee, either black or white, with cream
>>> also sometimes offered.
>>
>> We went to a greasy spoon near the railway station while we were
>> waiting for a train. My Argentine other half asked me whether I'd like
>> a latte or a capucino or a mocha or an espresso?
>>
>> Just ask for two coffees, I suggested.
>>
>> And that was what we got.
>>
>> Nick
>> nickodell49@yahoo.ca
>
> I usually ask for industrial coffee with milk . They seem to understand
> that.

Is that the coffee equivalent of builders' tea?

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Why do Italians call milk "latte"? Are they stupid?

<ryyaf+R2texkFwlh@b-howie.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99903&group=uk.d-i-y#99903

From: nos...@b-howie.co.uk (brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 05:47:50 +0100
 by: brian - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 04:47 UTC

In message <jbScnUL2dZYdIF_5nZ2dnZeNn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Colin
Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> writes
>On 27/07/2023 14:01, brian wrote:
>> In message <d75445cd-3058-486d-94e7-9c2d8fa59c32n@googlegroups.com>,
>>Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> writes

>>> We went to a greasy spoon near the railway station while we were
>>>waiting for a train. My Argentine other half asked me whether I'd
>>>like a latte or a capucino or a mocha or an espresso?
>>>
>>> Just ask for two coffees, I suggested.
>>>
>>> And that was what we got.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> nickodell49@yahoo.ca
>> I usually ask for industrial coffee with milk . They seem to
>>understand that.
>
>Is that the coffee equivalent of builders' tea?

Haha yes. I also like tea that way,

The builders on the estate where I lived all had these home-made billy
cans for their tea. I don't suppose they do that any more.

Brian

--
Brian Howie