We have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's out.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: More climate bollox

SubjectAuthor
* OT: More climate bolloxThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: More climate bolloxBrian Gaff
 +* Re: More climate bolloxHandsome Jack
 |`* Re: More climate bolloxThe Natural Philosopher
 | +- Re: More climate bolloxTheo
 | `- Re: More climate bolloxHandsome Jack
 `- Re: More climate bolloxSpike

1
OT: More climate bollox

<ua80s4$388st$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99974&group=uk.d-i-y#99974

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: More climate bollox
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:02:44 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:02 UTC

"In the midst of Greece’s devastating wildfires, it’s government and
every screeching alarmist in the world tried to blame the fires on
Climate Change, it’s become clear that human agency that’s the root
cause of most of these fires.

Greek Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection, Vassilis
Kikilias, informs us that, “During this time 667 fires erupted, that is
more than 60 fires a day, almost all over the country. Unfortunately,
the majority were ignited by human hand, either by criminal negligence
or intent.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/28/greece-fires-arsonists-extreme-weather

Of course the guardian goes on to say that in fact is the hot dry winds
that allow these fires to spread.
Well, hot dry winds are pretty much what you get in the Sahara and when
those winds stray across the Mediterranean, that's what southern Spain,
Greece and Italy will get too. And even sometimes the UK.

Instead of going 'because climate change' people might start asking why
in fact the jet stream is in a slightly unusual place this year.

It looks like more northerly Europe is in for a vile August - cold wet
and rainy .

Predictions of "record breaking" August heat, are already giving way to
temperatures in single figures, rain, and overnight frosts at altitude.

You couldn't make it up, or rather its clear that by and large they are
*all* making it up.

Uk is forecast for very autumnal weather. This week loooks set for peak
temps no more than 20°C and plenty of rain and cloud

And looking at the jetstream forecast, a huge wet wave is forecast to
develop to bring cold wet air all they way down to North Africa.

Starting with the UK.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: More climate bollox

<uad382$3ei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100043&group=uk.d-i-y#100043

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: More climate bollox
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:13:51 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:13 UTC

I think you are oversimplifying it. In your first scenario, you have to ask
yourself, why this year would people be more careless or start more fires
deliberately. The way the planet is responding to heating is for the energy
to be dissipated with stronger swings in the local weather. A kettle after
all when it boils is more chaotic than a cold one, and its likewise with the
air and see and land of course.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "In the midst of Greece's devastating wildfires, it's government and every
> screeching alarmist in the world tried to blame the fires on Climate
> Change, it's become clear that human agency that's the root cause of most
> of these fires.
>
> Greek Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection, Vassilis
> Kikilias, informs us that, "During this time 667 fires erupted, that is
> more than 60 fires a day, almost all over the country. Unfortunately, the
> majority were ignited by human hand, either by criminal negligence or
> intent."
>

> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/28/greece-fires-arsonists-extreme-weather
>
> Of course the guardian goes on to say that in fact is the hot dry winds
> that allow these fires to spread.
> Well, hot dry winds are pretty much what you get in the Sahara and when
> those winds stray across the Mediterranean, that's what southern Spain,
> Greece and Italy will get too. And even sometimes the UK.
>
> Instead of going 'because climate change' people might start asking why
> in fact the jet stream is in a slightly unusual place this year.
>
> It looks like more northerly Europe is in for a vile August - cold wet and
> rainy .
>
> Predictions of "record breaking" August heat, are already giving way to
> temperatures in single figures, rain, and overnight frosts at altitude.
>
> You couldn't make it up, or rather its clear that by and large they are
> *all* making it up.
>
> Uk is forecast for very autumnal weather. This week loooks set for peak
> temps no more than 20�C and plenty of rain and cloud
>
> And looking at the jetstream forecast, a huge wet wave is forecast to
> develop to bring cold wet air all they way down to North Africa.
>
> Starting with the UK.
>

> --
> "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
> that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
>
> Jonathan Swift.

Re: More climate bollox

<20230802092601.03c29ee4@rogan-550-103na>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100048&group=uk.d-i-y#100048

From: nob...@nowhere.org (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:26:01 +0100
 by: Handsome Jack - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:26 UTC

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:13:51 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you are oversimplifying it. In your first scenario, you have
> to ask yourself, why this year would people be more careless or start
> more fires deliberately. The way the planet is responding to heating
> is for the energy to be dissipated with stronger swings in the local
> weather. A kettle after all when it boils is more chaotic than a cold
> one,

But not when its temperature increases from 20 to 20.5 degC.

Re: More climate bollox

<kiuietFsbccU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100049&group=uk.d-i-y#100049

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 2 Aug 2023 08:29:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:29 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I think…you have to ask yourself, why this year would people be more
> careless or start more fires deliberately.

Did you notice how rapidly the continuing stories about the fires ended
when the Greek fire service stated that most of them were set deliberately?

That smacks of a false-flag exercise to bolster the ‘extreme weather
events’ trope of the warmest believers, who simply couldn’t waste a good
opportunity when ‘The Wind Is In From Africa’, as the song goes.

--
Spike

Re: More climate bollox

<uadqpf$437c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100090&group=uk.d-i-y#100090

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:55:43 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:55 UTC

On 02/08/2023 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:13:51 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you are oversimplifying it. In your first scenario, you have
>> to ask yourself, why this year would people be more careless or start
>> more fires deliberately. The way the planet is responding to heating
>> is for the energy to be dissipated with stronger swings in the local
>> weather. A kettle after all when it boils is more chaotic than a cold
>> one,
>
> But not when its temperature increases from 20 to 20.5 degC.

The reason why *some* people are starting more fires is that the
general public and governments are losing interest in funding 'renewable
energy' so any chance to light more fires when it gets hot, is a bonus
to the narrative.

--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

Re: More climate bollox

<G9j*omUmz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100162&group=uk.d-i-y#100162

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 03 Aug 2023 12:15:04 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 11:15 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> The reason why *some* people are starting more fires is that the
> general public and governments are losing interest in funding 'renewable
> energy' so any chance to light more fires when it gets hot, is a bonus
> to the narrative.

Nope. The reason why people start fires in Greece is due to the
government's land management system. If you own a piece of land that's
designated 'forest', it has more restrictions and a much lower value than a
piece of land that isn't. 'Forest' here means grass, scrubby bushes and
similar kinds of ground cover - we're not talking giant redwoods here.

The forestry department is corrupt: they put land into 'forest' in the
hope of extracting bribes from landowners to 'unforest' it.

So the response from the landowners is to set the land on fire: look see, no
forest now.

This would happen every year, the fire department and air force would put
the fire out, end of problem.

However, it doesn't matter where the spark came from (another source is
cigarettes out of car windows - smoking rates are still high). It's the
progress of the fire once started that is dependent on the climate,
specifically the way the land is drier and the weather hotter. Which is why
the impact of the fires is much bigger than it used to be, and the fires
increasingly beyond human attempts to control them.

Theo

Re: More climate bollox

<20230803152709.382bb391@rogan-550-103na>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100178&group=uk.d-i-y#100178

From: nob...@nowhere.org (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 15:27:09 +0100
 by: Handsome Jack - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 14:27 UTC

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:55:43 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 02/08/2023 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:13:51 +0100
> > "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think you are oversimplifying it. In your first scenario, you
> >> have to ask yourself, why this year would people be more careless
> >> or start more fires deliberately. The way the planet is responding
> >> to heating is for the energy to be dissipated with stronger swings
> >> in the local weather. A kettle after all when it boils is more
> >> chaotic than a cold one,
> >
> > But not when its temperature increases from 20 to 20.5 degC.
> >
> The reason why *some* people are starting more fires is that the
> general public and governments are losing interest in funding
> 'renewable energy' so any chance to light more fires when it gets
> hot, is a bonus to the narrative.

Or just that there are more people. And more barbecues.