The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Web hosting suggestions?

SubjectAuthor
* Web hosting suggestions?Clive Page
+- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Bob Henson
+* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Jeff Gaines
|+- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Theo
|+* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Tim Streater
||`- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Roger Mills
|`* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Robin
| +* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Chris Green
| |`- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Theo
| `* Re: Web hosting suggestions?RJH
|  +* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Robin
|  |`- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Jim Jackson
|  +* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Jeff Gaines
|  |`- Re: Web hosting suggestions?The Natural Philosopher
|  +- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Chris Green
|  `* Re: Web hosting suggestions?The Natural Philosopher
|   `* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Mike Clarke
|    `* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Theo
|     +- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Mike Clarke
|     `- Re: Web hosting suggestions?wasbit
+* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Alan Lee
|`* Re: Web hosting suggestions?Clive Page
| +- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Mike '
| +- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Mike '
| `- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Mike '
+- Re: Web hosting suggestions?The Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Web hosting suggestions?Mike Clarke
`- Re: Web hosting suggestions?TimW

Pages:12
Web hosting suggestions?

<kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99866&group=uk.d-i-y#99866

From: use...@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Web hosting suggestions?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:59:51 +0100
 by: Clive Page - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 13:59 UTC

I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small club. For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy empire. Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least one problem which they seem unable to solve.

Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price, preferably based in the UK or at least Europe? I've had one suggestion of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

--
Clive Page

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<kikkruF7kifU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99868&group=uk.d-i-y#99868

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Web hosting suggestions?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:09:03 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:09 UTC

On 29.7.23 2:59 pm, Clive Page wrote:
> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small club. For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy empire. Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least one problem which they seem unable to solve.
>
> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price, preferably based in the UK or at least Europe? I've had one suggestion of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

I used Penguin in Cardiff to host my domains and website for some time
and had no problems at all. Customer service and advice was good.

https://tinyurl.com/29u6gycw

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<xn0o4x4yq622pgx00o@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99871&group=uk.d-i-y#99871

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Jul 2023 14:27:05 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:27 UTC

On 29/07/2023 in message <kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net> Clive Page
wrote:

>I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small club.
> For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy empire. Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least one problem which they seem unable to solve.
>
>Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
>preferably based in the UK or at least Europe? I've had one suggestion of
>Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

I use Mythic Beasts:

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting

Been very pleased.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua38n5$2l0j4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99875&group=uk.d-i-y#99875

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:45:57 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:45 UTC

On 29/07/2023 14:59, Clive Page wrote:

> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one suggestion
> of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

Krystal are good.
<https://krystal.uk/>

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<I9j*KOumz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99876&group=uk.d-i-y#99876

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Jul 2023 15:56:18 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:56 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
> I use Mythic Beasts:
>
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>
> Been very pleased.

+1

Been with them about 20 years, absolutely no problems, they are always very
helpful.

Theo

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua3ev3$2li5q$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99880&group=uk.d-i-y#99880

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:32:35 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:32 UTC

On 29/07/2023 14:59, Clive Page wrote:
> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small
> club.  For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some
> time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy
> empire.  Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least
> one problem which they seem unable to solve.
>
> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one suggestion
> of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

Why not rent a virtual private server and build your own?
I pay around £72 a year with gigatux.

https://www.gigatux.com/

Enough space for a dozen web servers

Or you can have a simple web server for a couple of folding ones a month.

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<kil0q3FakmjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99885&group=uk.d-i-y#99885

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Jul 2023 17:32:51 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:32 UTC

On 29 Jul 2023 at 15:27:05 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 29/07/2023 in message <kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net> Clive Page
> wrote:
>
>> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small club.
>> For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some time, but a
>> couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy empire. Prices went
>> up, service levels went down and we have at least one problem which they seem
>> unable to solve.
>>
>> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
>> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe? I've had one suggestion of
>> Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.
>
> I use Mythic Beasts:
>
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>
> Been very pleased.

I recently switched to them on advice from here and they seem a lot better
than what I had before. Meanwhile my wife continues to get Waitrose emails
from JohnLewisBroadband which supposedly terminated all its services at the
end of June. Except now they say it'll be 7th August.

The irritating thing is she has to continue to pick up mails from there,
rather than just stopping doing so, because as long as the server apparently
stays up, anyone who's forgotten that she told them to send her mails to
different address, won't be getting a bounce.

Anyway +1 to MB.

--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<c1eed80e-811f-7ff3-052b-5a0190815206@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99895&group=uk.d-i-y#99895

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:24:40 +0100
 by: Robin - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:24 UTC

On 29/07/2023 15:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 29/07/2023 in message <kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net> Clive Page
> wrote:
>
>> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small
>> club.  For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some
>> time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy
>> empire.  Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least
>> one problem which they seem unable to solve.
>>
>> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
>> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one
>> suggestion of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.
>
> I use Mythic Beasts:
>
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>
> Been very pleased.

I switched the few domains I manage to them when TSOHost became
expensive and have also been very pleased. But I switched them at the
same time to email hosting only so can only vouch for good uptime, good
comms and good prices. May be not so good if you want 24/7 instant
access online support.
--
Robin

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<kilfsbFchbuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99896&group=uk.d-i-y#99896

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:50:03 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:50 UTC

On 29/07/2023 18:32, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2023 at 15:27:05 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29/07/2023 in message <kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net> Clive Page
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small club.
>>> For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some time, but a
>>> couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy empire. Prices went
>>> up, service levels went down and we have at least one problem which they seem
>>> unable to solve.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
>>> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe? I've had one suggestion of
>>> Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.
>>
>> I use Mythic Beasts:
>>
>> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>>
>> Been very pleased.
>
> I recently switched to them on advice from here and they seem a lot better
> than what I had before. Meanwhile my wife continues to get Waitrose emails
> from JohnLewisBroadband which supposedly terminated all its services at the
> end of June. Except now they say it'll be 7th August.
>
> The irritating thing is she has to continue to pick up mails from there,
> rather than just stopping doing so, because as long as the server apparently
> stays up, anyone who's forgotten that she told them to send her mails to
> different address, won't be getting a bounce.
>
> Anyway +1 to MB.

Can't she have them automatically forwarded to her new address?

Incidentally, my choir website is hosted by NetNerd, which has always
been ok.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<hrohpj-kji82.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99912&group=uk.d-i-y#99912

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:58:41 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 09:58 UTC

Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 29/07/2023 15:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> > On 29/07/2023 in message <kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net> Clive Page
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small
> >> club.  For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some
> >> time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy
> >> empire.  Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least
> >> one problem which they seem unable to solve.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
> >> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one
> >> suggestion of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.
> >
> > I use Mythic Beasts:
> >
> > https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
> >
> > Been very pleased.
> >

> I switched the few domains I manage to them when TSOHost became
> expensive and have also been very pleased. But I switched them at the
> same time to email hosting only so can only vouch for good uptime, good
> comms and good prices. May be not so good if you want 24/7 instant
> access online support.

Mythic-Beasts' support is pretty good in my experience. I've not
tried asking questions in the small hours but have always had
satisfactorily quick answers at other times.

Hostinger has been good too.

TsoHost now only have 9-5 weekdays support!

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua5f13$2u6e9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99921&group=uk.d-i-y#99921

From: jmc...@milibyte.co.uk (Mike Clarke)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:45:54 +0000
 by: Mike Clarke - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:45 UTC

On 29/07/2023 13:59, Clive Page wrote:

> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one suggestion
> of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

I've been very happy with https://stablepoint.com/ We switched to them
about 3 years ago after Tsohost deteriorated. I think Stablepoint was
set up by by the guys who ran Tsohost back in the days when they were good.

--
Mike Clarke

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<I9j*Ldzmz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99922&group=uk.d-i-y#99922

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Jul 2023 12:03:50 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 11:03 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Mythic-Beasts' support is pretty good in my experience. I've not
> tried asking questions in the small hours but have always had
> satisfactorily quick answers at other times.

This blog post explains why: no support staff.

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/blog/2022/10/21/the-secret-to-great-technical-support-no-support-staff/

Theo

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua5g98$2u995$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99923&group=uk.d-i-y#99923

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 11:07:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 11:07 UTC

On 29 Jul 2023 at 22:24:40 BST, Robin wrote:

> On 29/07/2023 15:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 29/07/2023 in message <kikkanF81viU1@mid.individual.net> Clive Page
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small
>>> club. For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some
>>> time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy
>>> empire. Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least
>>> one problem which they seem unable to solve.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
>>> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe? I've had one
>>> suggestion of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.
>>
>> I use Mythic Beasts:
>>
>> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>>
>> Been very pleased.
>>

> I switched the few domains I manage to them when TSOHost became
> expensive and have also been very pleased. But I switched them at the
> same time to email hosting only so can only vouch for good uptime, good
> comms and good prices. May be not so good if you want 24/7 instant
> access online support.

OOI, is the changeover quick/easy? I have a couple of domains that I manage
for others and they won't be too happy with a prolonged downtime . . .

Mythic Beasts looks a fair bit cheaper than my current provider, Heart. No
complaints at all, but I woudn't mind saving some money, and trying out
Wordpress.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<fb2d37f4-edf2-636a-7130-22e754a3df58@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99926&group=uk.d-i-y#99926

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:17:08 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:17 UTC

On 30/07/2023 12:07, RJH wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2023 at 22:24:40 BST, Robin wrote:

<snip>

>> I switched the few domains I manage to them when TSOHost became
>> expensive and have also been very pleased. But I switched them at the
>> same time to email hosting only so can only vouch for good uptime, good
>> comms and good prices. May be not so good if you want 24/7 instant
>> access online support.
>
> OOI, is the changeover quick/easy? I have a couple of domains that I manage
> for others and they won't be too happy with a prolonged downtime . . .

It was seamless for me following their recommended method

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/domains/transfer-no-downtime

but NB I didn't move the websites.

--
Robin

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<xn0o4yg5e3b53z000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99927&group=uk.d-i-y#99927

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Jul 2023 12:18:04 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:18 UTC

On 30/07/2023 in message <ua5g98$2u995$1@dont-email.me> RJH wrote:

>Mythic Beasts looks a fair bit cheaper than my current provider, Heart. No
>complaints at all, but I woudn't mind saving some money, and trying out
>Wordpress.

I moved one of my domains from Heart to Mythic beasts as Heart had a spat
with Yahoo and all my emails to Yahoo addresses were returned as spam.

Heart said there was nothing they could do about it.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<17jipj-9g7a2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99939&group=uk.d-i-y#99939

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 18:28:33 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 17:28 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2023 at 22:24:40 BST, Robin wrote:
>
> > On 29/07/2023 15:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> >> I use Mythic Beasts:
> >>
> >> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
> >>
> >> Been very pleased.
> >>

> > I switched the few domains I manage to them when TSOHost became
> > expensive and have also been very pleased. But I switched them at the
> > same time to email hosting only so can only vouch for good uptime, good
> > comms and good prices. May be not so good if you want 24/7 instant
> > access online support.
>
> OOI, is the changeover quick/easy? I have a couple of domains that I manage
> for others and they won't be too happy with a prolonged downtime . . .
>
> Mythic Beasts looks a fair bit cheaper than my current provider, Heart. No
> complaints at all, but I woudn't mind saving some money, and trying out
> Wordpress.

Follow the 'how to move a domain and hosting' in the Mythic Beasts
support files and it should be possible to move almost transparently.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua7rsl$37v09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99961&group=uk.d-i-y#99961

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:37:41 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:37 UTC

On 30/07/2023 12:07, RJH wrote:
> OOI, is the changeover quick/easy? I have a couple of domains that I manage
> for others and they won't be too happy with a prolonged downtime . . .

Te changeover should be seamless.
In technical terms you build the new web servers and test them using
different domain address - so if your old servers are on
www.privatedomain.com you set up www.testing.privatedomain.com and
transfer the old server to that and test it.

when it works, you change its internal name to www.privatedomain.com and
move the DNS records so that www.privatedomain.com points to the newIP

Over a periodi of less than a week all users will pickup the new IP
address and you can decomission the old server

> Mythic Beasts looks a fair bit cheaper than my current provider, Heart. No
> complaints at all, but I woudn't mind saving some money, and trying out
> Wordpress.

Wordpress is a well known attack surface. I'd build your own server if
you have the ability - all these 'hosted' servers are a bit shite,
really. Because the methods of logging into them are well known and
subject to exploits.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua7s20$37v09$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99962&group=uk.d-i-y#99962

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:40:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:40 UTC

On 30/07/2023 13:18, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 30/07/2023 in message <ua5g98$2u995$1@dont-email.me> RJH wrote:
>
>> Mythic Beasts looks a fair bit cheaper than my current provider,
>> Heart. No
>> complaints at all, but I woudn't mind saving some money, and trying out
>> Wordpress.
>
> I moved one of my domains from Heart to Mythic beasts as Heart had a
> spat with Yahoo and all my emails to Yahoo addresses were returned as spam.
>
> Heart said there was nothing they could do about it.

They lied of course. I recently had the same. I changed my DNS records
to say 'yes, this IP address is authorised to send email on behalf of
these domains'

Whoever you were using as your DNS provider for your mail domain should
already have done that or notified you how to do it.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua838k$38imo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99978&group=uk.d-i-y#99978

From: jmc...@milibyte.co.uk (Mike Clarke)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:43:32 +0000
 by: Mike Clarke - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:43 UTC

> Wordpress is a well known attack surface. I'd build your own server if
> you have the ability - all these 'hosted' servers are a bit shite,
> really. Because the methods of logging into them are well known and
> subject to exploits.

And seriously consider installing the free Wordfence security plugin
https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/ It provides very
effective protection against hack attacks.

--
Mike Clarke

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<J9j*zIEmz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99989&group=uk.d-i-y#99989

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 31 Jul 2023 13:00:39 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:00 UTC

Mike Clarke <jmc-et@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/07/2023 08:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> >
> > Wordpress is a well known attack surface. I'd build your own server if
> > you have the ability - all these 'hosted' servers are a bit shite,
> > really. Because the methods of logging into them are well known and
> > subject to exploits.
>
> And seriously consider installing the free Wordfence security plugin
> https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/ It provides very
> effective protection against hack attacks.

Supposedly they are now insisting on a paid licence, according to the
reviews?

Theo

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua8c69$39i3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99991&group=uk.d-i-y#99991

From: tim...@nomailta.co.uk (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:15:53 +0200
 by: TimW - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:15 UTC

On 29/07/2023 15:59, Clive Page wrote:
> I help to the run the website and event-booking database for a small
> club.  For about 7 years we have used TSOhost who were fine for some
> time, but a couple of years ago they were absorbed into the GoDaddy
> empire.  Prices went up, service levels went down and we have at least
> one problem which they seem unable to solve.
>
> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price,
> preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one suggestion
> of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.

I had the same experience with TSOHost. It got worse and worse and they
were unable to upgrade me even. I moved my club and charity sites to
20i.com who provide free hosting to low traffic sites, as many as you
have as long as the domain is registered through them which is a simple
switch. It isn't particularly trumpeted on their site but they do it
alright.

Tim W

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<ua8cv2$39lem$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99992&group=uk.d-i-y#99992

From: jmc...@milibyte.co.uk (Mike Clarke)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:29:05 +0000
 by: Mike Clarke - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:29 UTC

On 31/07/2023 12:00, Theo wrote:
> Mike Clarke <jmc-et@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>> And seriously consider installing the free Wordfence security plugin
>> https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/ It provides very
>> effective protection against hack attacks.
>
> Supposedly they are now insisting on a paid licence, according to the
> reviews?

There is a very effective fully featured free version which I've been
using for the last eight years,
https://www.wordfence.com/products/wordfence-free/ and I haven't seen
any sign of it being due to be discontinued.

They also have a paid paid for 'Premium' version with a few extra
features plus various paid for services including cleaning of infected
sites but these are aimed more for larger business users.

--
Mike Clarke

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<slrnucfe75.3kb.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=99993&group=uk.d-i-y#99993

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:36:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:36 UTC

On 2023-07-30, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/2023 12:07, RJH wrote:
>> On 29 Jul 2023 at 22:24:40 BST, Robin wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>>
>>> I switched the few domains I manage to them when TSOHost became
>>> expensive and have also been very pleased. But I switched them at the
>>> same time to email hosting only so can only vouch for good uptime, good
>>> comms and good prices. May be not so good if you want 24/7 instant
>>> access online support.
>>
>> OOI, is the changeover quick/easy? I have a couple of domains that I manage
>> for others and they won't be too happy with a prolonged downtime . . .
>>
> It was seamless for me following their recommended method
>
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/domains/transfer-no-downtime
>
> but NB I didn't move the websites.

I have moved 2 domains over to them. I had the same email problem both
times - they needed to clear the DNS caches on one of the servers before
they routed emails correctly. Normally it probably doesn't matter as my
old ISP still routed the emails. With some ISP's that would have taken
days - with mythicbeasts it took minutes!

another MB satisfied customer.

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<uaagum$3k8cs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100017&group=uk.d-i-y#100017

From: was...@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 09:49:24 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 08:49 UTC

On 31/07/2023 13:00, Theo wrote:
> Mike Clarke <jmc-et@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 31/07/2023 08:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> Wordpress is a well known attack surface. I'd build your own server if
>>> you have the ability - all these 'hosted' servers are a bit shite,
>>> really. Because the methods of logging into them are well known and
>>> subject to exploits.
>>
>> And seriously consider installing the free Wordfence security plugin
>> https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/ It provides very
>> effective protection against hack attacks.
>
> Supposedly they are now insisting on a paid licence, according to the
> reviews?

Free version
- https://www.wordfence.com/products/wordfence-free/

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Web hosting suggestions?

<kivggnF23prU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100111&group=uk.d-i-y#100111

From: use...@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:02:16 +0100
 by: Clive Page - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 17:02 UTC

On 29/07/2023 15:45, Alan Lee wrote:
> On 29/07/2023 14:59, Clive Page wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions for competent web-hosting at a reasonable price, preferably based in the UK or at least Europe?  I've had one suggestion of Hostinger who look as if they might be ok.
>

> Krystal are good.
> <https://krystal.uk/>

Thanks very much Alan for that suggestion. It does look as they might be a good match to our requirements, and possibly a bit cheaper too.

--
Clive Page

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Web hosting suggestions?