Subject: Re: OT: Scummo is gone
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 19:06:58 +1000
 by: lindsay - Tue, 24 May 2022 09:06 UTC

On 24/05/2022 9:33 am, John_H wrote:
> lindsay wrote:

>>> The Happy Clapper upset China when he sided with the Pussy Grabber in
>>> demanding an enquiry into Covid's origins, based on the conspiracy
>>> theory that it was released deliberately, for which there's not a
>>> shred of credible evidence (then or now).
>>
>> I thought this went back further, like when we told Huwaei(?) they wont
>> be participating on the build of the %g Network because of % Eyes fears?
>
> They weren't happy but they accepted it and didn't retaliate at that
> point. Morrison backing Trump's line is what really pissed 'em off,
> IIRC they penalised some of our imports shortly after and their govt
> officials refused to talk to our lot. Whatever the trigger point
> diplomacy was never Morrison's strong point and he never made the
> slightest attempt to cool the relationship down.

>>> We're already way behind on defence (no armed drones, no long range
>>> missiles, etc) which isn't likely to change anytime soon.
>>
>> Maybe not now, but
>> https://www.australiandefence.com.au/defence/joint/new-missile-strike-capabilities-announced
>
> What's it's range and accuracy? Apparently the Russian's can lob
> missiles on strategic targets from a long way off as they've
> demonstrated in Ukraine.

RAAF: From the link above: "“The JASSM-ER will enable the FA-18F Super
Hornet, and in future the F-35A Lightning II, to engage targets at a
range of 900km.”

Same missile, different designation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-158C_LRASM

RAN: the Naval Strike Missile is apparently good for around 200k
depending on it's strike profile... yet it seems the above missile can
be stuffed into a MK-41 VLS.

and Tomahawks
:https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42408/australia-to-buy-tomahawk-cruise-missiles-will-get-at-least-eight-nuclear-submarines

Then this:
https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/indo-pacific-2022/2022/05/australia-to-upgrade-collins-submarines-with-tomahawk-missiles/

How much of all this is true, I dont know, I'm just an interested observer.

>>> Labor supports AUKUS however we'd be getting nuclear subs much sooner
>>> if the Happy Clapper had stuck with the French who could've supplied
>>> same. The real problem is that all parties (including the Libs) have
>>> a ban on Australian based nuclear power. The difference being the
>>> AUKUS subs' reactors are supposed to last the life of the sub.
>>
>> Not too sure how the french subs would have worked now. They, like the
>> Collins class, dont have the endurance to operate for weeks/months in
>> the South china Sea. Nuclear powered french subs? They would need to
>> integrate the US fire control system to utilise the MK 48 torpedo. As
>> they would have with a diesel/elec boat.. France dont use the MK48, so I
>> wonder if there was some issue there with the US giving France the info?
>
> We were quite happy with their diesel subs until the AUKUS deal came
> up (presumably they had the same constraints). IOW they probably
> stuffed up with the diesel subs which doesn't say much for our defence
> planning capabilities.

Nothing ever does.. eg *Seaprites*? NH-90's? HMAS Manoora? They have form!

>>> Rubber band guns probably! But who gives an FF since they're unlikely
>>> to be able to form any sort of alliance with Labor after the last
>>> experience with the Ranga.

>>> Stated Lib policy was to *increase* it to 2% of GST if re-elected.
>>> USA spends 3.5%, Russia spends 4%.
>
> Bugger, I meant GDP.

I got it.. :)

>> I thought we were at 2.2% now.
>
> Should've put that in past tense (it's been a while since I read it).
> It's been below 2% in fairly recent times and a mere token increase
> does bugger all for our capabilities....
> https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS?locations=AU

>>> Last Liberal Foreign Minister with cred was Julie Bishop whom the
>>> Happy Clapper shafted. Arguably the best since Doc Evatt .
>>
>> +1

>>> Your paranoia is showing. China isn't likely to invade anyone now
>>> they've seen what's happening to Putrid in Ukraine. What China mainly
>>> wants is economic superiority over the US, which also requires a
>>> superior military capability. Hopefully neither will use it.
>>
>> Fingers x'ed. But we MUST be prepared.
>
> We aren't and nor are we likely to be any time soon. We're entirely
> dependent on the US coming to our aid and if Trump happens to get
> re-elected they probably wouldn't.

Trump.. God no!!! Still, if we have a decent stockpile of quality long
range missiles, and the platforms to deliver them, must give the bat
eaters something to think about. I still like the idea of a squadron or
two of B-21's at Amberley.

And look at how the world has helped Ukraine... Would they come to Aus'
aid in the face of an attack from china? Who knows?

>>> The imminent threat is Russia and in terms of history repeating itself
>>> it's now 1938. Putrid has to be stopped, the world can't afford
>>> otherwise.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> Obummer blew the opportunity when the little green men
>>> invaded Crimea.
>>
>> You have some lovely nicknames.. :-) Xi told Obama they wouldnt
>> militarise the South china Sea too...
>
> Like Putin, Xi lies. Hopefully Xi isn't as deranged as Putin.

Telling lies is part of a pollies dna. And anyone who changes the rules
so they can rule as long as they like is obviously dangerous. Power
corrupts. Longer in power, easier it is...
..

> The nicknames aren't mine, most pollies earn those they get....
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGg8D4hFLc&ab_channel=ChristinaHouston

I have several which are un-repeatable here. I dont like pollies of any
persuasion.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o OT: Scummo is gone

By: Trevor Wilson on Sat, 21 May 2022