From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Elizabeth Line stealth public launch
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:57:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Tweed - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:57 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I heard about entrapment by the VoPo on the border and on the autobahn
>>> corridor between Inner German border and West Berlin.
>>>
>>> I also know that it would cost DM5 to cross from West Berlin to East Berlin.
>>>
>>> But entrapment on the U-Bahn over a 20 ostpfennig ticket? I think that's
>>> reaching.
>>>

>> Maybe, but I didn’t want to risk being the source of hard currency for a
>> fine.
>>
>> After my day in East Berlin I couldn’t find anything to spend the residue
>> of my 25 Ost Marks I was forced to change on the way over. It’s the only
>> time I’ve put money in a litter bin.
>>

> I think the more typical use was to buy music (presumably cassettes back
> then).

Not enough residue. Managed to spend some of it on a meal - went to a
peoples restaurant at the far end of the tram line (the day visa did not
allow travel beyond the city boundary) to see what things were like beyond
the central part where great efforts had been made to make things looks as
affluent as the west. Said restaurant had an impressive menu until you
tried to order. It soon transpired it was a work of fiction and most items
were not available. Managed to waste a bit more on some ice cream and
coffees. That trip and some visits in recent years to museums of communism
in other former eastern bloc countries have made me very wary of the left
who claim to want to do things for the good of the working person.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Elizabeth Line stealth public launch

By: Recliner on Thu, 20 Jan 2022

303Recliner