From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Elizabeth Line stealth public launch
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:14:46 -0000 (UTC)
<stgu5v$515$2@dont-email.me>
<sth90t$md2$1@dont-email.me>
<sthla7$h7m$1@dont-email.me>
<VCYyz1nVcm$hFAU1@perry.uk>
<stlqjg$atd$1@dont-email.me>
<cGPwCE3IZ2$hFA1C@perry.uk>
<81kvvg53pd8pvbfa8frm0g8t067i3me8je@4ax.com>
<WHriChQYq+$hFAVz@perry.uk>
<stou1q$1qt$1@dont-email.me>
<I1CFevgA3AAiFAgF@perry.uk>
<stpd33$tna$1@dont-email.me>
<e9uAcMMxpTAiFATr@perry.uk>
sha1:4ffG6fAXzIY4tbIMWZQgHALv/Pw=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:14 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <stpd33$tna$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:03:31 on Sun, 6 Feb 2022,
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <stou1q$1qt$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:46:50 on Sun, 6 Feb 2022,
>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Which shows that none of the stations in the core have the originally
>>> planned toilets.
>>
>> Farringdon does have a toilet that was added. So the only omissions are
>> Bond St, Tottenham Court Rd and Whitechapel.
>
> There was always "last resort" toilet at Farringdon. If that's the one
> they have repurposed, more shame on them.

I don't know if they're referring to the old, long-closed one, or a new
one, built as part of the NR station extension.

But I do agree with you that, just as the stations are all accessible, they
really all ought to have toilets.

>>> First Google hit: <https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/sep/27/crossrail-
>>> budget-cuts>
>>
>> Perhaps you should have read it before posting?
>>
>> "The company building the rail line across London said that the scope of
>> the project would not change, meaning that all the stations and the
>> outer-London spurs will still be built."
>>
>> In other words, nothing was cut.
>
> Apart from the new toilets in all those core stations, and who knows
> what else?

You've not been able to come up with anything but missing toilets in three
or four stations, so let's assume nothing else was cut. So, overall,
Crossrail will deliver a higher spec overall than originally planned.

>> "Efficiencies would be found by making use of existing train designs,
>> rather than building new carriages from scratch, the company said."
>>
>> All the trains were in fact brand new, built to a new design, unique to
>> Crossrail.
>>
>> "The latest cuts are part of Crossrail's ongoing review of costs on the
>> line, which will run for more than 73 miles from Maidenhead and Heathrow in
>> the west, through new, twin-bore 13-mile tunnels under central London to
>> Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east."
>>
>> Do you think that's a cut? The line was subsequently extended to Reading.
>
> Only by finding separate funding. It's well known that the Crossrail
> project would never have got approval for an initial plan to go as far
> west as Reading, including the OHL costs that far west and the
> consequential rebuilding of Reading station.

It's still an extension, and needed extra station work and more trains.
That will have cost more than a few station toilets.

>>> Fitting out the station at all was never in the budget. Which is a shame
>>> because it means the original budget omitted to mention something which
>>> had inevitably to be funded in one form or other.
>>
>> So it wasn't a cut at all? It was something added to the project, just not
>> in the gold-plated form you'd have preferred.
>
> No, as other posters have confirmed, it was a cut from four to two
> platforms.

Yes, but was that a cut from an actual plan, or just an unfulfilled
aspiration? I think it was the latter.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Elizabeth Line stealth public launch

By: Recliner on Thu, 20 Jan 2022