From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: "The rail industry is not a job creation scheme"
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:18:26 +0100
References: <9W3KjLUPGHQiFA1R@perry.uk> <khu04h12ib46pt1kob7vki8sf4kle63e66@4ax.com> <0bi14h1mnufgkk0dhihv9jsbpb87033muh@4ax.com> <t1qifa$oci$1@dont-email.me> <crl14hhppqqaqc7auup6tbo0b93stjpfjk@4ax.com> <t1qmfe$4us$1@dont-email.me> <ghn14hd8f3c00h2rpfofhlo21ggqravbuq@4ax.com> <t1qnln$fo9$2@dont-email.me> <e1p14hdeeqrubca8il4qrilje8u3dagks8@4ax.com> <t1qrlk$8rk$2@dont-email.me> <64524hl87tod5kg6tr8mt14qq5p2ai4feq@4ax.com> <98d34h1tqksr87guvv6b1erndoaj5s3eb7@4ax.com>
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:18 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:18:20 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 03:08:15 +0100, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 23:23:32 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Is that precaution based on actual evidence of risk from Covid, or simple
>>>(sensible) caution all infections?
>>>
>>The eye and associated areas have been regarded as a viable route of
>>infection for over a century :-
>>https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/220430
>>
>>>One thing we do know is that a lot of the often misinformed
>>>Covid precautions have at least protected against other illnesses in the
>>>last two years. For example, all that hand sanitisng didn't do much to
>>>block Covid but probably reduced food poisoning.
>>>
>>Without experimenting you have no proof for that. COVID was known to
>>persist longer on non-absorbent surfaces (e.g. handrails, door handles
>>etc.) while alcohol is efficient in destroying membranes that hold
>>viruses together as well as being a long-proven general antiseptic.
>
>I'm asking what actual research has been done about how Covid is spread. Or are they just assuming it's similar to other
>diseases (when we know it's not)?

There is plenty of research material available but as a novel disease
it is currently more heavily based on observation and experience.

>>Hand sanitising doesn't work when people don't practise it and I have
>>been around long enough to see that there are plenty of people who are
>>best described as selfish filthy bastards when it comes to considering
>>community hygeine.
>
>Yes, I agree that hand sanitising is good for public health, but just question whether it does much to slow the spread
>of Covid specifically. Has anyone done any actual research? They certainly hadn't when the advice was first given.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897598/S0574_NERVTAG-EMG_paper_-_hand_hygiene_010720_Redacted.pdf

Note that it can be inferred that standard door handles on
manually-opened doors, supermarket trolley/basket handles etc. are an
infection risk which simultaneous use of sanitisation should be
effective against.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o "The rail industry is not a job creation scheme"

By: Recliner on Sun, 20 Mar 2022

320Recliner