From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: "The rail industry is not a job creation scheme"
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:40:28 +0200
 by: Rolf Mantel - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 07:40 UTC

Am 28.03.2022 um 19:18 schrieb Charles Ellson:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:18:20 +0100, Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 03:08:15 +0100, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> The eye and associated areas have been regarded as a viable route of
>>> infection for over a century :-
>>> https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/220430

>>> Without experimenting you have no proof for that. COVID was known to
>>> persist longer on non-absorbent surfaces (e.g. handrails, door handles
>>> etc.) while alcohol is efficient in destroying membranes that hold
>>> viruses together as well as being a long-proven general antiseptic.
>>
>> I'm asking what actual research has been done about how Covid is spread. Or are they just assuming it's similar to other
>> diseases (when we know it's not)?
>>
> There is plenty of research material available but as a novel disease
> it is currently more heavily based on observation and experience.
>>
>>> Hand sanitising doesn't work when people don't practise it and I have
>>> been around long enough to see that there are plenty of people who are
>>> best described as selfish filthy bastards when it comes to considering
>>> community hygeine.
>>
>> Yes, I agree that hand sanitising is good for public health, but just question whether it does much to slow the spread
>> of Covid specifically. Has anyone done any actual research? They certainly hadn't when the advice was first given.
>>
> https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897598/S0574_NERVTAG-EMG_paper_-_hand_hygiene_010720_Redacted.pdf
>
> Note that it can be inferred that standard door handles on
> manually-opened doors, supermarket trolley/basket handles etc. are an
> infection risk which simultaneous use of sanitisation should be
> effective against.

Wait a second: "hand sanitation is effective in reducing respiratory
diseases". This is *not* research specific to COVID.

My understanding is that in early 2020, hand hygiene was one of the
"obvious things to do that might reduce transmission" but that by
mid-2020 still there was no evigence of hand hygiene having an impact on
transmission of COVID.

Out of the three known pathways of transmitting respiratory diseases
(smear infection via hand - eye or hand - mouth, droplet infection and
aerosol infection) it is clear that for COVID, the dominant way of
transmission is aerosol infection; it is not measurable whether smear
infection is relevant for 10% of the infections, for 0.1% of infections
or not at all.

Rolf

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o "The rail industry is not a job creation scheme"

By: Recliner on Sun, 20 Mar 2022

320Recliner