From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: "The rail industry is not a job creation scheme"
References: <0bi14h1mnufgkk0dhihv9jsbpb87033muh@4ax.com> <t1qifa$oci$1@dont-email.me> <crl14hhppqqaqc7auup6tbo0b93stjpfjk@4ax.com> <t1qmfe$4us$1@dont-email.me> <ghn14hd8f3c00h2rpfofhlo21ggqravbuq@4ax.com> <t1qnln$fo9$2@dont-email.me> <e1p14hdeeqrubca8il4qrilje8u3dagks8@4ax.com> <t1qrlk$8rk$2@dont-email.me> <64524hl87tod5kg6tr8mt14qq5p2ai4feq@4ax.com> <98d34h1tqksr87guvv6b1erndoaj5s3eb7@4ax.com> <3sq34hdoasq355htnt3imigdqi41c6vh18@4ax.com> <t1ud5c$38k$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:11:56 +0100
 by: Recliner - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:11 UTC

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:40:28 +0200, Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>Am 28.03.2022 um 19:18 schrieb Charles Ellson:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:18:20 +0100, Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm asking what actual research has been done about how Covid is spread. Or are they just assuming it's similar to other
>>> diseases (when we know it's not)?
>>>
>> There is plenty of research material available but as a novel disease
>> it is currently more heavily based on observation and experience.

>>> Yes, I agree that hand sanitising is good for public health, but just question whether it does much to slow the spread
>>> of Covid specifically. Has anyone done any actual research? They certainly hadn't when the advice was first given.
>>>
>> https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897598/S0574_NERVTAG-EMG_paper_-_hand_hygiene_010720_Redacted.pdf
>>
>> Note that it can be inferred that standard door handles on
>> manually-opened doors, supermarket trolley/basket handles etc. are an
>> infection risk which simultaneous use of sanitisation should be
>> effective against.
>
>Wait a second: "hand sanitation is effective in reducing respiratory
>diseases". This is *not* research specific to COVID.
>
>My understanding is that in early 2020, hand hygiene was one of the
>"obvious things to do that might reduce transmission" but that by
>mid-2020 still there was no evigence of hand hygiene having an impact on
>transmission of COVID.
>
>Out of the three known pathways of transmitting respiratory diseases
>(smear infection via hand - eye or hand - mouth, droplet infection and
>aerosol infection) it is clear that for COVID, the dominant way of
>transmission is aerosol infection; it is not measurable whether smear
>infection is relevant for 10% of the infections, for 0.1% of infections
>or not at all.

Thanks, that confirms what I suspected.

Something noticeable in the UK is that the public authorities haven't updated their (incorrect) advice on Covid
transmission, nor the list of Covid symptoms from the early days of the pandemic. The ZOE studies have shown how out of
date these have become.

For example, I had a shingles vaccination appointment recently, and got sent an on-line questionnaire about whether I
was exhibiting any of what were obviously meant to be Covid symptoms. But they were all out of date, and not at all
representative of the then-current Covid symptoms. It didn't even ask if I'd had a recent positive Covid test, nor
request me to take a (free) LFT before showing up for the appointment. I wonder if it's any better in Germany?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o "The rail industry is not a job creation scheme"

By: Recliner on Sun, 20 Mar 2022

320Recliner