Subject: Re: OT: still has a motor, 4 wheels, and an exhaust
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:27:10 +1100
 by: lindsay - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:27 UTC

On 18/11/2021 10:15 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> What a coinkidink :)

>> Thats my new baby!!! :-) Although I'm not sure if mine has the deck
>> wash or cruise.... Seems the specs change a bit....
>
> I think so. Don't worry too much about the deck wash as it doesn't do a
> hell of a lot. You'll get far better results by jacking it up or driving
> it up on ramps and hitting it with a pressure washer from underneath.
>
> The cruise control is a great feature. Hopefully yours will have it.

Seems no to either. Apparently the newer version has neither, due to
costs. No biggie. Deck wash is easy enough to fit up myself, and the
cruise would be nice, but not too sure that in my situation, it would be
a valuable addition. The forthcoming Kubota will do the bulk of the
work.... The Cub Cadet will have a fair bit to do until the Kubota
arrives...

>>> Got exactly the same machine, which I nought it new in November 2017.
>>> So far it's got around 120 hours on it and has not missed a beat
>>> since I bought it, which is more than I can say for the Toro lawn
>>> tractor it replaced.
>>
>> Cool. My little McCulloch has done a stirling job, but it's not
>> supposed to do what it's done. (mow grass full of half inch thick
>> sticks, etc..) So it's retired to here, and the Cub Cadet get's it's
>> own shed up the block. If I ca n find one with doors wide enough.
>> which brings me to my next question.. would you be so kind to measure
>> it, length by width, so I can see if it will fit in the tray on the
>> back of my ranga? Tray measures 1790 x 1820. sales droid said they
>> 'think' it will fit, one way or another. I have asked CC Australia,
>> but waiting on a reply, and not expecting one in a hurry.... Not too
>> sure when I'll pick it up..
>
> You should be okay. A quick measurement in the dark tells me it's almost
> 2 metres long by 1700 wide with the grass deflector folded down. You
> should be able to get it on the back with a little bit sticking out.
> I've had mine in a 7x5 trailer with the tailgate off and it was okay.

Yep. Thanks for that. Seems like the width isn't a problem, and the
motor will hang over the tray with the tailboard removed, but all four
wheels on the tray. I've several anchor points mounted in the tray, even
more on the sides, and lo and behold, Wurth have produced some ratchet
tie-downs, which I now have a fair sized carton full. :-) Never mind the
shit Bunnings sell. ;-) It wont be going nowhere. Mates have asked how I
will get it out/off the tray... I have a "stock ramp" I used to get the
quads on and off the Navara... the ranga is a little higher, but I'm
sure i'll not have an issue unloading it...

> Speaking of the grass deflector, when you go pick yours up ask the
> dealer if they'll give you this:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME52CEG
>
> It's just a little bracket that they use to keep the grass deflector
> locked in the upright position while the thing is being shipped in it's
> crate, and it's fucking handy as fuck. It just clips in at the pivot pin
> like this:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME52CEJ
>
> They normally throw the things away after they've unpacked the machine
> and done the pre-delivery, but the local shop here accidentaly left mine
> in place when they delivered it and it's grouse for parking the machine
> with the deflector folded up so you don't stand on it and break it.
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME52CEE
>
> Makes it easier to transport, and as my mower lives in a container with
> my tractor and other shit it allows me to have a walkway in between all
> the crap and not accidentally stand on the thing and snap it off :)

Heh.. mine's gunna live in a container, which was gunna become my
wingman's bedroom for his family.... so i'll probably buy a shed and
some concrete from Bunnings in Bairnsdale, and head down that path...

>> either early December or just before Xmas, but fuck, it's gunna get a
>> workout over the Xmas hols whilst waiting for the tractor. The grass
>> is so high around the place, the emu's are getting bogged! Looking
>> into the paddock next door, they look like submarine periscopes. Cant
>> see 'em till you yell, and then all the heads pop up! :-)
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME527E8  emus in the grass
>
> Fucking hell. That will test it :) Looks like it's been wet. Wish it was
> that green around here.

Rainfall has been awesome. No complaint from me, (until if have to use
my winch.

>> This is the neighbours dam. It's risen 8 feet in the last 12 months,
>> and the last 2 feet in a week. So the joint is a bit wet. :-)
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME527E6  neighbours dam
>
> Nice.

Seems it's forced a few red-bellied blacks up a bit higher towards his
shack.... :-)

>> Amazing rainfall up there, and who knows when it's gunna stop? Happy
>> to see it rain, rather than burn.
>
> Absolutely. Been pretty wet here as well, and the weeds are going nuts :)

I recently had an issue with a stihl line trimmer i use at home. Broken
down 4 times since new. Bought a Honda 4 stroke from Bunnings, (5% off
too), and it just works. Starts 2nd pull as advertised. Fuck the weeds.
Whilst it wont go too hard, it will sort the majority. ;-) Has a
'twisted' string. I poo-pooed it at first.. now looking to buy more...

>>> Haven't needed to buy any parts so far apart from service items like
>>> plugs and filters which I get from ebay. The local mower shop in
>>> Baccus is an agent for their range, and according to them they don't
>>> have any trouble getting bits. The blades hold their edge well and
>>> I've only had to sharpen them once so far, and the quick release deck
>>> makes that job a piece of piss. They've changed the engines on them
>>> from the 23hp Kohler in mine to the Kwaka unit that you've got, and
>>> I'm not sure if it's because Kohler caused them any dramas or they
>>> just did a better deal with Kawasaki, but I think the rest of the
>>> machine is the same and they're pretty reliable.
>>
>> Cheers.. I'll ring the mob I bought it from, and order double, and as
>> I use one set of service gear, I'll order another so I wont run out.
>> Is the customer allowed to do the first service using their products?
>> (oil and filter)? I really couldn't be fagged dragging the thing
>> backwards and forwards, even though the dealer in sort of on the way
>> to the block/on the way home...
>
> Dunno. I've never been back since :)

Thats my plan!

> There's not much too them. They use a simple spin on oil filter, have a
> couple of plugs, a basic fuel filter and a decent air filter element.
> You can buy service kits of the things on ebay pretty cheap, and they're
> decent stuff. You'd need to search for your particular Kawasaki model
> number, but for my Kohler they're like this:
>
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Filter-Shut-Off-Valve-For-Kohler-7000-Series-Engine-32-083-09-S-12-050-01-S-/194496159493?hash=item2d48dfdf05
>>

> For 50 bucks you get a set of plugs, an oil filter, a fuel filter, an
> air filter, a new fuel tap, and a new replacement fuel pump. Oh, on the
> subject of air filters, if the kwaka engine has the air filter located
> right at the rear of the machine like the Kohler engine does then it
> will get pretty dusty quite quickly. The filter is a paper element type
> but they come with a foam "pre-cleaner" band on them, and they work very
> well if you pick up a can of K&N air filter oil and give them a light
> coating before use.
>
> When they get filthy, take the foam band off and wash it in petrol and
> then leave it to dry before refitting it and giving it another spray
> with oil.

Many, many thanks for the info. Duly noted , printed, and filed..

>>> They're also pretty decent to drive with the steering wheel being far
>>> easier to use than the lap bars in my opinion. Especially if you tow
>>> a spray tank like we use here as you can drive with one hand and use
>>> the spray wand with the other which is why we bought it.
>>
>> Never driven a zero turn mower, but I can see the benefits after the
>> current tractor/slasher and ride on mower. I own a stick rake which
>> goes behind the tractor, but it's not much good if the tractor is
>> rooted. The
>> McCullough did okay, but every now and then, it'd hit a big one, and
>> scare the bejesus out of ya... :-) Just gunna plow through with the
>> new machine, and see how it copes with 12-18mm sticks and the odd
>> manuksa root ball....
>
> It should do fine. The wife is the main mower pilot around here and she
> gives ours hell. The shed has a few dents in the back wall where she's
> picked shit up and flung it at it at super sonic speed, and it scares
> the crap out of me every time :)
>
> You'll love the steering wheel. It leaves a hand free to hold your beer.

LOL... when i mow home with the McCullough, it doesnt take me long to do
the front yard and naturestrip... maybe 2 mins max. As I head back
through the garage to do the back yard, I have to pass the beer fridge.
It's like a drive through with travellers.... :-)
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME5281S  this was taken 9 months ago...
>> it's fucking overgrown now! :) got some work to do... it's a bog at
>> the mo. Assuming the rain will stop at some stage, theres a bit to do
>> around the camp, and under the trees to the right in the pic... ;-D
>
> Looks like a really cool place to hang out :)

Labor of love, but after some issues with my ex-mate that owns a
property on the Wonnangatta river, 10k west of Dargo, the wife suggested
I buy my own. Be 12 years old this summer; had a shitload of fun up
there with my mates, built a "shearers quarters" and machinery shed, and
have had a ball there. Neighbors are all awesome too, which makes life
there more simple. One has done a bit of slashing around my shed and
access track because he knows my tractor's not up to it... Great
neighbour. Great people. Wont retire there (have other plans) but a
magic joint to get out of town, and do what I want, when I want....

>>> They're a good machine that does a great job, and you won't be
>>> disappointed.
>>
>> Happy to hear that. only info I had was from a shop in Dandenong,
>> where I'd bought the McCulloch 9 years ago... did a little research,
>> and found the CC $1250 cheaper down the road. Thanks for looking after
>> your customers!Not. I wont be back... :-) New dealer seems a bit more
>> interested...
>
> Funny that. I bought mine from the local mower shop in Bacchus and while
> the mower itself was pretty well priced (I think I paid 5 and a half
> grand, but that was 4 years ago), they're pretty exxy for anything else
> so I don't bother with them much.

Yep. Have learnt about this particular mob. Got them to repair my Honda
2.0ei? gennie (that I'd bought from them) under warranty.. went to pick
it up, and they'd suggested they'd done all sorts of "service" to it...
from memory? $800 worth on a $2k gennie. It was a warranty job, ffs!
Told 'em I wasn't paying a cent as it was warranty, and picked it up
free of charge on the spot. Wont name 'em, so the sea-lice of aus.cars
(you know, the ones who say they aren't stalkers!) will have something
to do tomorrow. I'll help: They are in Greens rd, Dandenong, and their
two part name begins with "Red Sh.." If you flogs need any help, which
wouldn't surprise me, just ask. :-D

Way dearer (15%) for the new mower, than another mob who are on the way
to my joint, so they get the crisps. Money talks.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o OT: still has a motor, 4 wheels, and an exhaust

By: lindsay on Wed, 17 Nov 2021

112lindsay