From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Conflicts when Upgrading
Date: 23 May 2022 19:28:45 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Mon, 23 May 2022 19:28 UTC

Here are three questions:
Usually in my upgrades of Tumbleweed, I may have one conflict which I
have been selecting, Keep what I have" though obsolete. With the current
notification of updates there are 3-5 apparent conflicts - usually because
"something cannot be provided" that an upgrade needs.
QUESTIONS:
(1) Why offer an upgrade when part of its needs cannot be provided?
(2) Where would I look elsewhere for the cannot be provided
package(s)? (I have the Default Installation Repositories + Packman)
(3) In the options offered (usually 1-5) Are they in the order of
SOMEONE SMARTER THAN I recommending (i.e. #1 is recommended as best)?
Thanks in advance,
Paul (I LOVE Tumbleweed!)

Re: Conflicts when Upgrading

<jfa9duF3bjgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=579&group=alt.os.linux.suse#579

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Conflicts when Upgrading
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 23:23:10 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 26 May 2022 21:23 UTC

On 2022-05-23 21:28, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> Here are three questions:
> Usually in my upgrades of Tumbleweed, I may have one conflict which I
> have been selecting, Keep what I have" though obsolete. With the current
> notification of updates there are 3-5 apparent conflicts - usually because
> "something cannot be provided" that an upgrade needs.

Are you, per chance, not using "zypper dup"?

_Not_ using dup, and using "up" instead (or equivalent), causes problems
like you describe.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Conflicts when Upgrading

<jfciicFgeitU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=581&group=alt.os.linux.suse#581

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 27 May 2022 18:11:24 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Fri, 27 May 2022 18:11 UTC

On Thu, 26 May 2022 23:23:10 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2022-05-23 21:28, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>> Here are three questions:
>> Usually in my upgrades of Tumbleweed, I may have one conflict
>> which I
>> have been selecting, Keep what I have" though obsolete. With the
>> current notification of updates there are 3-5 apparent conflicts -
>> usually because "something cannot be provided" that an upgrade needs.
>
> Are you, per chance, not using "zypper dup"?
>
> _Not_ using dup, and using "up" instead (or equivalent), causes problems
> like you describe.

Always using "zypper dup" at the earlier advice of yourself and the other
very knowledgeable gentleman who answered me on an earlier post.

Since I posted and was receiving no response, I decided I had asked 3
"stupid" questions or questions that had no real answers.

Next step, since I could always cancel a "zypper dup" as a final cancel, I
began to try each option offered for every problem (statistically several
tries). Some resulted in 2-3 more problems; one in 5 new problems. I
finally returned to the very first problem that was encountered to which I
always had responded, "Keep the obsolete old package" - It had worked on
3-4 earlier upgrades. This time I took the option, "uninstall the
package."
Everything jumped to a resolved screen and a go-ahead for a 3000+ package
upgrade (this past week). I decided to proceed with a final "yes."

Now, unfortunately, I did not write down that package. I only know that
the problem was some "perl" package could not be supplied.

Furthermore, not knowing the result of uninstalling something, I didn't
know if I was "breaking" something else (still not sure). So far, all the
programs I have been using in Tumbleweed are still working. Next time, I
will search on what I am uninstalling, and see if I can figure out what it
does (or used to do).

I write this extended reply for any others who are at my early "level" of
linux expertise for possible benefit. I read all the posts, if for no
other reason than my linux education.
Thanks,
Paul

Re: Conflicts when Upgrading

<jfd3diFjphgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=582&group=alt.os.linux.suse#582

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 00:58:58 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 27 May 2022 22:58 UTC

On 2022-05-27 20:11, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2022 23:23:10 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On 2022-05-23 21:28, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>>> Here are three questions:
>>> Usually in my upgrades of Tumbleweed, I may have one conflict
>>> which I
>>> have been selecting, Keep what I have" though obsolete. With the
>>> current notification of updates there are 3-5 apparent conflicts -
>>> usually because "something cannot be provided" that an upgrade needs.
>>
>> Are you, per chance, not using "zypper dup"?
>>
>> _Not_ using dup, and using "up" instead (or equivalent), causes problems
>> like you describe.
>
> Always using "zypper dup" at the earlier advice of yourself and the other
> very knowledgeable gentleman who answered me on an earlier post.
>
> Since I posted and was receiving no response, I decided I had asked 3
> "stupid" questions or questions that had no real answers.

Sorry, I was (and am) busy and did not read any post in a week or more.

You know "news" is not what it was and that there are very few helpers
reading here. There are other places with more people. The openSUSE web
forum is probably the busiest.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.