In specifications, Murphy's Law supersedes Ohm's.

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

SubjectAuthor
* upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIbad sector
+* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUICarlos E.R.
|`* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIbad sector
| `* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUICarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIbad sector
|   `* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUICarlos E.R.
|    `* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIMalcolm
|     `* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUICarlos E.R.
|      `- Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIMalcolm
`* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIDon Spam's Reckless Son
 `* Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIbad sector
  `- Fixaroo ..Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUIbad sector

1
upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<L52cnfbrb-avYQn5nZ2dnZfqnPFj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=933&group=alt.os.linux.suse#933

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 21:58:10 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI
 by: bad sector - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 01:58 UTC

I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter

# lightdm

to start the login manager I get

"failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
do you have the right permissions?"

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<pb3gmjx857.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=934&group=alt.os.linux.suse#934

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:56:57 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:56 UTC

On 2023-06-23 03:58, bad sector wrote:

> I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter
>
> # lightdm
>
> to start the login manager I get
>
> "failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
> do you have the right permissions?"

I don't know about lightdm, but the usual startx will not start by
default because of permissions. It even hints you as to where those
permissions are to be changed at your peril.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<u73quq$3mptm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=935&group=alt.os.linux.suse#935

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 12:08:25 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:08 UTC

bad sector wrote:

> I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter
>
> # lightdm
>
> to start the login manager I get
>
> "failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
> do you have the right permissions?"

On my (Leap) system my probable-equivalent file is a link under
$home/Desktop, it points to
/usr/share/applications/org.kde.konsole.desktop (I'll let you guess
which display manager I'm using) and that has
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root
ownership / permissions.

(the link is Desktop/org.kde.konsole.desktop)
In case that is not the actual file you need, I also have
/usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde.desktop
and that has the same ownership / permissions as the other file.

Some files in that /usr/share/applications/ directory have in addition
execute rights for everyone, but they tend to be applications and I
don't *think* you need or want that in this case.

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<WK2cnbTPAOUM7wj5nZ2dnZfqn_Zg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=936&group=alt.os.linux.suse#936

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 06:23:12 -0400
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:23 UTC

On 6/23/23 04:56, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-23 03:58, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter
>>
>> # lightdm
>>
>> to start the login manager I get
>>
>> "failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
>> do you have the right permissions?"
>
> I don't know about lightdm, but the usual startx will not start by
> default because of permissions. It even hints you as to where those
> permissions are to be changed at your peril.

been there b4, setuid bits, no joy

I'll simplify: what comands WILL start either X
or a DM capable of launching X using either nouveau
or nvidia *whichever works*?

systemctl isolate graphical.target is dead weight

so is systemctl set-default graphical.target

although in the last case on the next boot the
system does seem to wanna launch lightdm but the
attempt does not complete and falls back to cLi
login prompt

I also have a backup image which if I dd back to the
partition everything works as it should

If I upgrade it it bombs

Also have an image of the bombing upgraded system

On the aroma-trail: the nvidia driver updating has
been very iffy lately on account of what seem to be
server issues. Startx works for root in lo-res so
it's an nvidia problem?

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<e9SdnUVmTK7i6gj5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=937&group=alt.os.linux.suse#937

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 06:44:15 -0400
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:44 UTC

On 6/23/23 06:08, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> bad sector wrote:
>>
>> I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter
>>
>> # lightdm
>>
>> to start the login manager I get
>>
>> "failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
>> do you have the right permissions?"
>>

> On my (Leap) system my probable-equivalent file is a link under
> $home/Desktop, it points to
> /usr/share/applications/org.kde.konsole.desktop (I'll let you guess
> which display manager I'm using) and that has
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root
> ownership / permissions.
>
> (the link is Desktop/org.kde.konsole.desktop)
> In case that is not the actual file you need, I also have
> /usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde.desktop
> and that has the same ownership / permissions as the other file.
>
> Some files in that /usr/share/applications/ directory have in addition
> execute rights for everyone, but they tend to be applications and I
> don't *think* you need or want that in this case.

The are (otherwise identical) different users on all my systems, several
dummy users having their rags in the system partition's /home/dummy
folders (these let me log in when not only the geese fly south). The one
that I normally use (let's call me userMe) is a link under /home/userMe
pointing to a directory such as tw or Lp on another hard drive.

Now things start to smell bad

The /home/dummy type directories seem to be fully populated

The remote tw folder to which /home/userMe points (or the
Lp one for my Leap system) has only

..desktopfolder in it consisting of

{"resolutions":[{"resx":1920,"resy":1200,"y":50,"w":1920,"h":1200}],"resx":1920,"resy":1200,"y":50,"w":1920,"h":1200,"name":"","bgcolor":"df_transparent","fgcolor":"df_light","textbold":true,"textshadow":true,"items":["Firefox
feeds
backup.opml;0;0;","trash.desktop;0;0;","Home.desktop;0;0;"],"version":3}

and

..directory in it, consisting of

[Desktop Entry]
Icon=user-desktop
Type=Directory

[Dolphin]
Timestamp=2018,11,13,13,26,15
Version=4

I use KDE with Artix also, similar story but Artix works
(don't know by heart which other distro I have set for KDE)

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<sfagmjxrkm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=938&group=alt.os.linux.suse#938

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 12:58:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:58 UTC

On 2023-06-23 12:23, bad sector wrote:
> On 6/23/23 04:56, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-06-23 03:58, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter
>>>
>>> # lightdm
>>>
>>> to start the login manager I get
>>>
>>> "failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
>>> do you have the right permissions?"
>>
>> I don't know about lightdm, but the usual startx will not start by
>> default because of permissions. It even hints you as to where those
>> permissions are to be changed at your peril.
>>

> been there b4, setuid bits, no joy
>
> I'll simplify: what comands WILL start either X
> or a DM capable of launching X using either nouveau
> or nvidia *whichever works*?

startx is used, as root, for diagnostics of the graphical driver.

If that works, then try the normal graphical login, which in ancient
lore was "init 5". The syntax still works in Leap.

If that doesn't work, stop and analyze the logs.

> If I upgrade it it bombs

How do you upgrade? The only supported method is "zypper dup" as root.

> Also have an image of the bombing upgraded system
>
> On the aroma-trail: the nvidia driver updating has
> been very iffy lately on account of what seem to be
> server issues. Startx works for root in lo-res so
> it's an nvidia problem?

Absolutely.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<TsecnbfkpqRXGgj5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=939&group=alt.os.linux.suse#939

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 07:53:46 -0400
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 11:53 UTC

On 6/23/23 06:58, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-23 12:23, bad sector wrote:

>>> I don't know about lightdm, but the usual startx will not start by
>>> default because of permissions. It even hints you as to where those
>>> permissions are to be changed at your peril.
>>>

>> been there b4, setuid bits, no joy
>>
>> I'll simplify: what comands WILL start either X
>> or a DM capable of launching X using either nouveau
>> or nvidia *whichever works*?
>

> startx is used, as root, for diagnostics of the graphical driver.
>
> If that works, then try the normal graphical login, which in ancient
> lore was "init 5". The syntax still works in Leap.

How about TW?

I have since backleveled to the earlier TW backup image, the defective
upgraded one is backed up however. I can recover to it or open the iso
for eyeballing

> If that doesn't work, stop and analyze the logs.

>> If I upgrade it it bombs
>
> How do you upgrade? The only supported method is "zypper dup" as root.

yes, the subject one was like 6000 packages

>> Also have an image of the bombing upgraded system
>>
>> On the aroma-trail: the nvidia driver updating has
>> been very iffy lately on account of what seem to be
>> server issues. Startx works for root in lo-res so
>> it's an nvidia problem?
>

> Absolutely.

How to fix, with the nvidia server issues becoming quasi-regular? I need
the nvidia driver because of Google-Earth which alone doesn't do too
good with nouveau. Were it not for this I'd have axed it years ago!

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<4ohgmjx51p.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=940&group=alt.os.linux.suse#940

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:02:28 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 13:02 UTC

On 2023-06-23 13:53, bad sector wrote:
> On 6/23/23 06:58, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> been there b4, setuid bits, no joy
>>>
>>> I'll simplify: what comands WILL start either X
>>> or a DM capable of launching X using either nouveau
>>> or nvidia *whichever works*?
>>

>> startx is used, as root, for diagnostics of the graphical driver.
>>
>> If that works, then try the normal graphical login, which in ancient
>> lore was "init 5". The syntax still works in Leap.
>
> How about TW?

I don't use TW, but you can test.

Telcontar:~ # which init
/sbin/init
Telcontar:~ # ls /sbin/init
/sbin/init
Telcontar:~ # l /sbin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Mar 28 15:29 /sbin/init ->
.../usr/lib/systemd/systemd*
Telcontar:~ #

If init exists, it has to work.

> I have since backleveled to the earlier TW backup image, the defective
> upgraded one is backed up however. I can recover to it or open the iso
> for eyeballing
>
>> If that doesn't work, stop and analyze the logs.

>>> If I upgrade it it bombs
>>
>> How do you upgrade? The only supported method is "zypper dup" as root.
>
> yes, the subject one was like 6000 packages
>

>>> Also have an image of the bombing upgraded system
>>>
>>> On the aroma-trail: the nvidia driver updating has
>>> been very iffy lately on account of what seem to be
>>> server issues. Startx works for root in lo-res so
>>> it's an nvidia problem?
>>

>> Absolutely.
>
> How to fix, with the nvidia server issues becoming quasi-regular? I need
> the nvidia driver because of Google-Earth which alone doesn't do too
> good with nouveau. Were it not for this I'd have axed it years ago!

You will always have issues with Nvidia in TW. Learn how to deal with
them, mostly on your own.

There are warnings about this in the TW documentation.

This will not change till pigs fly.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<20230623092952.33fb24e4@grover.homelinux.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=941&group=alt.os.linux.suse#941

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:29:52 -0500
 by: Malcolm - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 14:29 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:02:28 +0200
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-06-23 13:53, bad sector wrote:

> >> startx is used, as root, for diagnostics of the graphical driver.
> >>
> >> If that works, then try the normal graphical login, which in
> >> ancient lore was "init 5". The syntax still works in Leap.
> >
> > How about TW?
>
> I don't use TW, but you can test.
>
> Telcontar:~ # which init
> /sbin/init
> Telcontar:~ # ls /sbin/init
> /sbin/init
> Telcontar:~ # l /sbin/init
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Mar 28 15:29 /sbin/init ->
> ../usr/lib/systemd/systemd*
> Telcontar:~ #
>

> If init exists, it has to work.

<snip>
Hi
In systemd speak....

systemctl isolate multi-user.target (runlevel 3, init 3 etc)

systemctl isolate graphical.target (runlevel 5, init 5 etc)

The above should start the graphical login (or auto login if set)

systemctl set-default multi-user.target (boot to runlevel 3, init 3 etc)

systemctl set-default graphical.target (boot runlevel 5, init 5 etc)

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20230621 | GNOME Shell 44.2 | 6.3.7-1-default

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<rr7hmjxva6.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=942&group=alt.os.linux.suse#942

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 21:19:55 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:19 UTC

On 2023-06-23 16:29, Malcolm wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:02:28 +0200
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> How about TW?
>>
>> I don't use TW, but you can test.
>>
>> Telcontar:~ # which init
>> /sbin/init
>> Telcontar:~ # ls /sbin/init
>> /sbin/init
>> Telcontar:~ # l /sbin/init
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Mar 28 15:29 /sbin/init ->
>> ../usr/lib/systemd/systemd*
>> Telcontar:~ #
>>

>> If init exists, it has to work.
>>
> <snip>
> Hi
> In systemd speak....
>
> systemctl isolate multi-user.target (runlevel 3, init 3 etc)
>
> systemctl isolate graphical.target (runlevel 5, init 5 etc)

Error: Biological memory full :-P

> The above should start the graphical login (or auto login if set)
>
> systemctl set-default multi-user.target (boot to runlevel 3, init 3 etc)
>
> systemctl set-default graphical.target (boot runlevel 5, init 5 etc)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<20230623170531.4b3bdd99@grover.homelinux.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=943&group=alt.os.linux.suse#943

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:05:31 -0500
 by: Malcolm - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 22:05 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 21:19:55 +0200
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-06-23 16:29, Malcolm wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:02:28 +0200

> >> I don't use TW, but you can test.
> >>
> >> Telcontar:~ # which init
> >> /sbin/init
> >> Telcontar:~ # ls /sbin/init
> >> /sbin/init
> >> Telcontar:~ # l /sbin/init
> >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Mar 28 15:29 /sbin/init ->
> >> ../usr/lib/systemd/systemd*
> >> Telcontar:~ #
> >>

> >> If init exists, it has to work.
> >>
> > <snip>
> > Hi
> > In systemd speak....
> >
> > systemctl isolate multi-user.target (runlevel 3, init 3 etc)
> >
> > systemctl isolate graphical.target (runlevel 5, init 5 etc)
>
> Error: Biological memory full :-P

LOL

Thank goodness for alias.....

alias sdg='systemctl set-default graphical.target'
alias sdm='systemctl set-default multi-user.target'
alias sig='systemctl isolate graphical.target'
alias sim='systemctl isolate multi-user.target'

> > The above should start the graphical login (or auto login if set)
> >
> > systemctl set-default multi-user.target (boot to runlevel 3, init 3
> > etc)
> >
> > systemctl set-default graphical.target (boot runlevel 5, init 5 etc)

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20230621 | GNOME Shell 44.2 | 6.3.7-1-default
HP Z440 | Xeon E5-2695 V4 X36 @ 2.10GHz | AMD RX550/Tesla P4

Fixaroo ..Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI

<nfydnSu06_bBzgr5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=944&group=alt.os.linux.suse#944

Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 16:34:35 -0400
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: Fixaroo ..Re: upgraded TW, init3 login only, no GUI
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 20:34 UTC

On 6/23/23 06:44, bad sector wrote:
> On 6/23/23 06:08, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> I can login as userMe or as root, if as root I enter
>>>
>>> # lightdm
>>>
>>> to start the login manager I get
>>>
>>> "failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager,
>>> do you have the right permissions?"
>>>

>> On my (Leap) system my probable-equivalent file is a link under
>> $home/Desktop, it points to
>> /usr/share/applications/org.kde.konsole.desktop (I'll let you guess
>> which display manager I'm using) and that has
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root
>> ownership / permissions.
>>
>> (the link is Desktop/org.kde.konsole.desktop)
>> In case that is not the actual file you need, I also have
>> /usr/share/applications/org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde.desktop
>> and that has the same ownership / permissions as the other file.
>>
>> Some files in that /usr/share/applications/ directory have in addition
>> execute rights for everyone, but they tend to be applications and I
>> don't *think* you need or want that in this case.
>
> The are (otherwise identical) different users on all my systems, several
> dummy users having their rags in the system partition's /home/dummy
> folders (these let me log in when not only the geese fly south). The one
> that I normally use (let's call me userMe) is a link under /home/userMe
> pointing to a directory such as tw or Lp on another hard drive.
>
> Now things start to smell bad
>
> The /home/dummy type directories seem to be fully populated
>
> The remote tw folder to which /home/userMe points (or the
> Lp one for my Leap system) has only
>
> .desktopfolder in it consisting of
>
> {"resolutions":[{"resx":1920,"resy":1200,"y":50,"w":1920,"h":1200}],"resx":1920,"resy":1200,"y":50,"w":1920,"h":1200,"name":"","bgcolor":"df_transparent","fgcolor":"df_light","textbold":true,"textshadow":true,"items":["Firefox feeds backup.opml;0;0;","trash.desktop;0;0;","Home.desktop;0;0;"],"version":3}
>

> and
>
> .directory in it, consisting of
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Icon=user-desktop
> Type=Directory
>
> [Dolphin]
> Timestamp=2018,11,13,13,26,15
> Version=4
>
> I use KDE with Artix also, similar story but Artix works
> (don't know by heart which other distro I have set for KDE)

Apparently some zypper lib packages had syntax issues involving the
nvidia servers or servers like them (over my head jargon). I upgraded
only everything zyp first and after that the rest. This worked.