Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 14:32:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Knowledge's Discretion
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 22:32 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2004 at 3:56:13 PM UTC-8, ernobe wrote:
> > .... An AI system that can do the sorts of things Jim does to
> > prove his claim that he knows math would be quite useful IMO.
> It would be no use if the system could prove that it knows math, but could not
> test others for their knowledge of math. Knowledge representation of some form
> would be required here, because it would have to take into account the
> differences in the ability to use math, set at appropriate limits beyond which
> no testing is done. For example, it wouldn't test Jim on whether he can
> multiply 6 digit numbers in under a fraction of a second, and it would have to
> test him for abilities that are peculiar to human beings, but only such as
> pertain to their use of computers, not such as they evince among themselves.
> Perhaps 'knowledge representation' is not the best term to use, since the
> abilities it tests in human beings or in anything else are defined by humans
> themselves, so in effect it would be more of an identification process rather
> than its "knowing" something. Likewise, it could not really test a human for
> its knowledge of math, but could for example "know" that Jim is working on a
> certain math formula and keep track of his progress. Now it doesn't seem
> possible that if friend of Jim is working on a similar formula that it could
> investigate areas of application for the formulas to work together. The symbols
> used in algebraic formulas are specific to the formulas, and the purpose of the
> formula is to represent a change in that which the symbols represent. Change
> is inherent in the nature of things and computers calculate the nature of the
> change, but changes cause things to transform themselves into each other so
> that nothing remains of their previous state, therefore how can a computer use
> certain formulas to derive new ones that bear no resemblance to them?
>
> --
> http://www.costarricense.cr/pagina/ernobe

2022 Update: I guess you should look for your epistemology elsewhere.

Re: Knowledge's Discretion

<3e634bd6-9ed7-4c31-9e39-81f8fdba1634n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7934&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7934

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 04:57:53 -0800 (PST)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:57 UTC

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 4:32:31 PM UTC-6, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Thursday, December 30, 2004 at 3:56:13 PM UTC-8, ernobe wrote:
> > > .... An AI system that can do the sorts of things Jim does to
> > > prove his claim that he knows math would be quite useful IMO.
> > It would be no use if the system could prove that it knows math, but could not
> > test others for their knowledge of math. Knowledge representation of some form
> > would be required here, because it would have to take into account the
> > differences in the ability to use math, set at appropriate limits beyond which
> > no testing is done. For example, it wouldn't test Jim on whether he can
> > multiply 6 digit numbers in under a fraction of a second, and it would have to
> > test him for abilities that are peculiar to human beings, but only such as
> > pertain to their use of computers, not such as they evince among themselves.
> > Perhaps 'knowledge representation' is not the best term to use, since the
> > abilities it tests in human beings or in anything else are defined by humans
> > themselves, so in effect it would be more of an identification process rather
> > than its "knowing" something. Likewise, it could not really test a human for
> > its knowledge of math, but could for example "know" that Jim is working on a
> > certain math formula and keep track of his progress. Now it doesn't seem
> > possible that if friend of Jim is working on a similar formula that it could
> > investigate areas of application for the formulas to work together. The symbols
> > used in algebraic formulas are specific to the formulas, and the purpose of the
> > formula is to represent a change in that which the symbols represent. Change
> > is inherent in the nature of things and computers calculate the nature of the
> > change, but changes cause things to transform themselves into each other so
> > that nothing remains of their previous state, therefore how can a computer use
> > certain formulas to derive new ones that bear no resemblance to them?
> >
> > --
> > http://www.costarricense.cr/pagina/ernobe
> 2022 Update: I guess you should look for your epistemology elsewhere.

You people need to put some 1000 Island dressing on your writings.