To downgrade the human mind is bad theology. -- C. K. Chesterton

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

SubjectAuthor
* The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proofolcott
+* Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proofolcott
|+- Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proofolcott
|`- Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof [ Liar Liar pants on fire ]olcott
`- Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof: [ Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ]olcott

1
The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

<2KidnW0lAqejJq_8nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7312&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7312

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Subject: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 19:18:05 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 00:18 UTC

In computability theory, the halting problem is the
problem of determining, from a description of an arbitrary
computer program and an input,

whether the simulation of this program must be aborted to
prevent it from running forever.

The above criteria is valid on the basis of the known equivalence
between the direct execution of a computation and its simulation
by a UTM. The same criteria universally works on all inputs allowing
their halting status to be correctly decided.

The Peter Linz H is defined to be a simulating halt decider that applies
the above criteria and the halt decider at Ĥ.qx is an exact copy of H.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ1⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ1⟩ ⟨Ĥ2⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if the simulated ⟨Ĥ1⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ2⟩ halts, and

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ1⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ1⟩ ⟨Ĥ2⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if the simulated ⟨Ĥ1⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ2⟩ does not halt

The mistake of the Linz proof is forming a conclusion
based on Ĥ applied to its own Turing machine description ⟨Ĥ⟩.

This is only answering the question:
Can changes be made to an otherwise correct halt decider
such that this halt decider is no longer correct?

The required question is:
Does the original H applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly decide the halt status
of its input?

Yes the original H does correctly decide the halt status of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩

This is proved in section V3 of my paper by the analogous example of:
int main() { H1(P,P); } // analogous to H applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation

The full Linz Proof:
https://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP(Pages_315-320).pdf

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

<dYmdnfYvyfXx4K78nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7314&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7314

Subject: Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 09:06:34 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 14:06 UTC

On 9/4/2021 5:50 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> IF H1 is a different computation than H, then the fact that it can get
>>> the answer right doesn't matter, as it wasn't the computation that H^
>>> was built on.
>>>

>> The Linz Ĥ is only required to have an exact copy of the Linz H at Ĥ.qx.
>> It turns out that using my simulating halt decider criteria H would
>> correctly report that its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts.
>
> Not quite, you are missing the meaning of words here. H was supposed to
> be a Turing Machine, an exact copy of a Turing Machine will behave
> identically to the original. This is a fundamental property of being a
> Computation, if you make an exact copy of the algorithm, you will get
> the identical behavior.
I have empirically proved that this is merely a false assumption.
int main() { H1(P,P); } sees a different execution trace than H(P,P).

In the first case we have a halt decider that sees another halt decider
abort the simulation of its input.

In the second case we have a halt decider that does not see another halt
decider abort the simulation of its input.

The execution order of with H1 before H derives a different execution
trace for H1 than for H.

H1 is an identical copy of H and has different behavior than H because
its execution trace input is different than H.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

<lIOdnaRe2ItREK78nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7315&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7315

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.theory,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 10:16:27 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 15:16 UTC

On 9/4/2021 9:18 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 9/4/21 10:06 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> Not quite, you are missing the meaning of words here. H was supposed to
>>> be a Turing Machine, an exact copy of a Turing Machine will behave
>>> identically to the original. This is a fundamental property of being a
>>> Computation, if you make an exact copy of the algorithm, you will get
>>> the identical behavior.
>> I have empirically proved that this is merely a false assumption.
>> int main() { H1(P,P); } sees a different execution trace than H(P,P).
>>
>> In the first case we have a halt decider that sees another halt decider
>> abort the simulation of its input.
>>
>> In the second case we have a halt decider that does not see another halt
>> decider abort the simulation of its input.
>>
>> The execution order of with H1 before H derives a different execution
>> trace for H1 than for H.
>>
>> H1 is an identical copy of H and has different behavior than H because
>> its execution trace input is different than H.
>>

> Since Execution Trace is NOT defined as an input to that Computation
> (the only inputs are the representation of the machine and its input),
> the dependency of the result on that just proves that H and H1 are not
> properly Computation, and thus not eligable to be a Decider.
>
> PERIOD. DEFINITION.

The input to the halt deciders is their different execution trace thus
the halt deciders are a pure function of their input.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof: [ Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ]

<QPqdnUqStcKoRan8nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7317&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7317

Subject: Re:_The_key_mistake_of_the_Peter_Linz_HP_proof:_[_Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:46:11 -0500
 by: olcott - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:46 UTC

On 9/5/2021 4:37 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> writes:

>> I am pretty sure he is referring to the unwarranted assumption that any
>> simulation at all is involved.
>
> Thanks, Ben, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Apologies to PO
> for being unclear, here.

Yet the point that I am making is that when a simulating halt decider
applies this criteria to its input:

whether the simulation of this program must be aborted to
prevent it from running forever.

Then the Peter Linz H applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly decides that its
input halts and transitions to H.qy on the basis of Ĥ.qx applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly decides that its input does not halt and transitions to Ĥ.qn.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof [ Liar Liar pants on fire ]

<m6KdncZvr9L_fNn8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7362&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7362

Subject: Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof [ Liar Liar pants on fire ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
References: <2KidnW0lAqejJq_8nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <ecIYI.71866$T_8.30491@fx48.iad> <dYmdnfYvyfXx4K78nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <dfLYI.6743$3p3.5819@fx16.iad> <lJOdnbkpMN0LFK78nZ2dnUU7-bXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <e5MYI.63146$o45.48779@fx46.iad> <sh02pf$kib$1@dont-email.me> <xrMYI.67004$Kv2.7463@fx47.iad> <JJOdnfu1wu_cB678nZ2dnUU78LXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <HdNYI.9968$2B4.2576@fx04.iad> <x9ednXSZ5LuCOK78nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <ePNYI.24764$tA2.4582@fx02.iad> <gLKdnctwNpqsNq78nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sh0an6$f8o$1@dont-email.me> <C7OdneoKVKpgLa78nZ2dnUU7-WFQAAAA@giganews.com> <%IOYI.30135$VZ1.3323@fx08.iad> <EvqdncHbTYDcIq78nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <TYQYI.1171$g_4.1135@fx14.iad> <08udndz4u-u5Q678nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <P0SYI.23667$md6.11113@fx36.iad> <fPmdnUyPuOOHba78nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <LASYI.13939$rsCb.9272@fx01.iad> <_IOdnQE0FbMxZa78nZ2dnUU7-eXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <20210917192719.00001cc0@reddwarf.jmc>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:41:36 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:41 UTC

On 9/17/2021 1:27 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 17:52:27 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

>>> But since H^ was built on H, it is H that needs to get the answer
>>> right, not H1, and it doesn't
>>>
>>> If you want to claim that they are the same machine, you need to
>>> explain how they give different answers for the same input, which
>>> shows they are Computations.

>>> Nope, since it skips over the CONDITIONAL code of H.
>>>
>>> That code needs to be traced and shown to be unconditional.

>>> WRONG. I keep pointing out that you build your arguement on false
>>> foundations.

>>> Only because the trace is incorrect.

>>> The H can NEVER answer even as a top level machine, so THAT is
>>> false too.
>>>
>>> Remember there is no such thing a 'Pure Simulator Mode', something
>>> is or it isn't a Pure Simulator. H isn't if it ever answer H(H^,H^)
>>>

>> That the entire time that the halt decider is making its halt status
>> decision the halt decider has no behavior what-so-ever that can have
>> any effect on the behavior of its simulated input seems to be beyond
>> your intellectual capacity to comprehend.
>
> The ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy: attack the argument and not
> the person and progress might be made.
>
> /Flibble

Click here to read the complete article