Maybe it's time to break that. -- Larry Wall in <199710311718.JAA19082@wall.org>

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order of the body of knowledge ]

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order ofolcott
`* Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order ofPeter
 `* Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order ofolcott
  `- Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order ofPeter

1
Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order of the body of knowledge ]

<3POdnajY-NSRXOv8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7490&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7490

Subject: Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order of
the body of knowledge ]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
<Vcednepc4spi3-78nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sl10an$12ms$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<erCdndEZJo7kpun8nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<d48b25ea-c1fe-4de5-a51f-0b6a2296a762n@googlegroups.com>
<a7SdnVF2LOaI_un8nZ2dnUU78e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<a4daaa2a-6279-48f5-a52b-e36f79f79e3cn@googlegroups.com>
<tIydnfXJs8f2FOn8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl2gt6$e43$1@dont-email.me>
<RZOdnYp7U5C8TOn8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl3v4r$7c3$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 09:36:58 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:36 UTC

On 10/24/2021 10:46 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-10-23 21:21, olcott wrote:
>> On 10/23/2021 9:37 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
>
>> When the goal is to define the mathematical basis of infallible
>> reasoning that references natural language semantics logical implication
>
> Logic doesn't have that goal.

Logic is supposed to at least be a system of correct reasoning.

>> seems to be at least unnecessary and at most quite harmful.
>>
>> Although the common base meaning of A implies B is maintained the
>> overloaded meaning totally screws this up.
>
> How do you determine which of the various meanings of a natural language
> term is the 'base meaning'?

When we define the unique set of all semantic meanings and
(a) Disallow every trace of redundancy
(b) Disallow overloading the same term with more than one unique
semantic meaning
(c) Assign each unique semantic meaning to a GUID

Then the natural preexisting order of the body of all knowledge is
specified.

> And if you think overloading 'screws things
> up', then you should be objecting to natural language, not logic, though
> this objection would be utterly pointless since natural language always
> has and always will allow multiple meanings for the same word. Maybe you
> should learn how natural language works.
>
>> If natural language conditionals were understood in the same way, that
>> would mean that the sentence "If the Nazis won World War Two,
>> everybody would be happy" is true.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxes_of_material_implication
>
> Many natural language expressions *are* interpreted as material
> implication. For example "If you under eighteen then you cannot purchase
> alcohol".
>
> The meaning of the logical connective → unambiguously refers to this one
> specific meaning of if...then. I fail to see why you see this as a problem.

It is better to replace
X ⇒ Y
with
X ⊨ Y (requiring a semantic connection between X and Y)

This prevents nonsense from being contrued as logically correct.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order of the body of knowledge ]

<sl6gq5$e6k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7492&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7492

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
the body of knowledge ]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:00:21 +0100
<sl10an$12ms$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<erCdndEZJo7kpun8nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<d48b25ea-c1fe-4de5-a51f-0b6a2296a762n@googlegroups.com>
<a7SdnVF2LOaI_un8nZ2dnUU78e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<a4daaa2a-6279-48f5-a52b-e36f79f79e3cn@googlegroups.com>
<tIydnfXJs8f2FOn8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl2gt6$e43$1@dont-email.me>
<RZOdnYp7U5C8TOn8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl3v4r$7c3$1@dont-email.me>
<3POdnajY-NSRXOv8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Peter - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:00 UTC

olcott wrote:
> On 10/24/2021 10:46 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
>> On 2021-10-23 21:21, olcott wrote:
>>> On 10/23/2021 9:37 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
>>
>>> When the goal is to define the mathematical basis of infallible
>>> reasoning that references natural language semantics logical implication
>>
>> Logic doesn't have that goal.
>>

> Logic is supposed to at least be a system of correct reasoning.
>
>>> seems to be at least unnecessary and at most quite harmful.
>>>
>>> Although the common base meaning of A implies B is maintained the
>>> overloaded meaning totally screws this up.
>>
>> How do you determine which of the various meanings of a natural
>> language term is the 'base meaning'?
>
> When we define the unique set of all semantic meanings and
> (a) Disallow every trace of redundancy
> (b) Disallow overloading the same term with more than one unique
> semantic meaning
> (c) Assign each unique semantic meaning to a GUID
>
> Then the natural preexisting order of the body of all knowledge is
> specified.
>
>> And if you think overloading 'screws things up', then you should be
>> objecting to natural language, not logic, though this objection would
>> be utterly pointless since natural language always has and always will
>> allow multiple meanings for the same word. Maybe you should learn how
>> natural language works.
>>
>>> If natural language conditionals were understood in the same way,
>>> that would mean that the sentence "If the Nazis won World War Two,
>>> everybody would be happy" is true.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxes_of_material_implication
>>
>> Many natural language expressions *are* interpreted as material
>> implication. For example "If you under eighteen then you cannot
>> purchase alcohol".
>>
>> The meaning of the logical connective → unambiguously refers to this
>> one specific meaning of if...then. I fail to see why you see this as a
>> problem.
>>

> It is better to replace
> X ⇒ Y
>   with
> X ⊨ Y (requiring a semantic connection between X and Y)
>
> This prevents nonsense from being contrued as logically correct.

If you look up "modus ponens" and "deduction theorem" you will see that
X ⇒ Y and X ⊨ Y go hand-in-hand. So an (imagined) problem with one is
an (imagined) problem with the other.

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order of the body of knowledge ]

<KbudnbDHIN9fUuv8nZ2dnUU7-K-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7494&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7494

the body of knowledge ]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
<3POdnajY-NSRXOv8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl6gq5$e6k$1@gioia.aioe.org>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:39:44 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:39 UTC

On 10/25/2021 10:00 AM, Peter wrote:
> olcott wrote:

>>> Logic doesn't have that goal.
>>>

>> Logic is supposed to at least be a system of correct reasoning.

>>> How do you determine which of the various meanings of a natural
>>> language term is the 'base meaning'?
>>
>> When we define the unique set of all semantic meanings and
>> (a) Disallow every trace of redundancy
>> (b) Disallow overloading the same term with more than one unique
>> semantic meaning
>> (c) Assign each unique semantic meaning to a GUID
>>
>> Then the natural preexisting order of the body of all knowledge is
>> specified.
>>
>>> And if you think overloading 'screws things up', then you should be
>>> objecting to natural language, not logic, though this objection would
>>> be utterly pointless since natural language always has and always
>>> will allow multiple meanings for the same word. Maybe you should
>>> learn how natural language works.

>>> Many natural language expressions *are* interpreted as material
>>> implication. For example "If you under eighteen then you cannot
>>> purchase alcohol".
>>>
>>> The meaning of the logical connective → unambiguously refers to this
>>> one specific meaning of if...then. I fail to see why you see this as
>>> a problem.
>>>

>> It is better to replace
>> X ⇒ Y
>>    with
>> X ⊨ Y (requiring a semantic connection between X and Y)
>>
>> This prevents nonsense from being contrued as logically correct.
>
> If you look up "modus ponens" and "deduction theorem" you will see that
> X ⇒ Y and X ⊨ Y go hand-in-hand.  So an (imagined) problem with one is
> an (imagined) problem with the other.

"This sentence is not true", is simply not a truth bearer. When an
expression of language is not a truth bearer then it is not an
expression of logic, thus eliminating any need for three-valued logic.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Vacuously TRUE vs Vacuously FALSE? [ natural preexisting order of the body of knowledge ]

<sl6lsg$1clm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7495&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7495

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
the body of knowledge ]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:26:55 +0100
<d48b25ea-c1fe-4de5-a51f-0b6a2296a762n@googlegroups.com>
<a7SdnVF2LOaI_un8nZ2dnUU78e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<a4daaa2a-6279-48f5-a52b-e36f79f79e3cn@googlegroups.com>
<tIydnfXJs8f2FOn8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl2gt6$e43$1@dont-email.me>
<RZOdnYp7U5C8TOn8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl3v4r$7c3$1@dont-email.me>
<3POdnajY-NSRXOv8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sl6gq5$e6k$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<KbudnbDHIN9fUuv8nZ2dnUU7-K-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Peter - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:26 UTC

olcott wrote:
> On 10/25/2021 10:00 AM, Peter wrote:
>> olcott wrote:

>>> Logic is supposed to at least be a system of correct reasoning.

>>> When we define the unique set of all semantic meanings and
>>> (a) Disallow every trace of redundancy
>>> (b) Disallow overloading the same term with more than one unique
>>> semantic meaning
>>> (c) Assign each unique semantic meaning to a GUID
>>>
>>> Then the natural preexisting order of the body of all knowledge is
>>> specified.

>>> It is better to replace
>>> X ⇒ Y
>>>    with
>>> X ⊨ Y (requiring a semantic connection between X and Y)
>>>
>>> This prevents nonsense from being contrued as logically correct.
>>
>> If you look up "modus ponens" and "deduction theorem" you will see
>> that X ⇒ Y and X ⊨ Y go hand-in-hand.  So an (imagined) problem with
>> one is an (imagined) problem with the other.
>>

> "This sentence is not true", is simply not a truth bearer

It's also irrelevant to the matter being discussed. I wonder how you
get on in real life. In my mind's eye I see you making a cup of coffee
and half way though changing to making a cup of tea simply because you
cannot concentrate on one thing for any length of time.