The only perfect science is hind-sight.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

SubjectAuthor
* Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'Don Stockbauer
`* Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'olcott
[...]

Pages:123456
Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<a8b123b5-effb-452a-bcb8-4cfa9a8b2c7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8400&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8400

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
<6608ce12-c7e6-436e-abab-e4e4aadc7b75@googlegroups.com> <6e5c7c24-e2c6-40cc-a0c0-3eb86a337878@googlegroups.com>
<ffca911f-600c-4687-af98-02428ca8dfaf@googlegroups.com> <de57c5bc-8d3c-4a0c-98dd-fb8eb03f6c22@googlegroups.com>
<0c393e1b-2201-4598-9935-f93a83b27fae@googlegroups.com> <2fe978e8-3839-45f6-82d7-53ab466a4f9d@googlegroups.com>
<a62d92dd-a83e-40bd-94d0-7e6a66ce1152@googlegroups.com> <9cef8381-0815-4b9b-8729-73d4d9fcf2d9@googlegroups.com>
<fa88733c-c466-49be-ad6d-fceab2acf36b@googlegroups.com> <f565892c-969d-40f4-b998-c1b5a1c80909@googlegroups.com>
<164cc29a-1b24-4362-bcd5-defa7fcc2fc4@googlegroups.com> <a055905e-26fc-4205-87c5-df79f505a408@googlegroups.com>
<9e6c86a0-0737-4311-8b13-4db86facddc3@googlegroups.com> <f68fc924-6d82-4590-b328-ac44ec62d6een@googlegroups.com>
<f752f906-9527-4ad4-8b78-159344e8866dn@googlegroups.com> <fvydnYJaPMBT36L_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<b0c36354-fea9-41a5-9e33-7b581b835ed5n@googlegroups.com> <9b6347c4-4692-4028-bce8-5f0ec8afdff9n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 00:39 UTC

lol On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 5:35:54 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 10:01:55 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> > > If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> > > I would not try to make them.
> > >

> > please come back. I'm so sorry. I never knew that by me asking about your children it would cause the destruction of our relationship. If I could only do something to make it up to you. Perhaps if I could somehow prove to you that I wasn't out to steal their identity all I was doing was I figured after 15 years we are to know a little bit of something about one another or else we could both be considered bots but I made a mistake I asked about your children and that appears to be the end of it so I know all these messages are making it worse and worse but I just can't stand the thought of me quitting and then never hearing anything from you the rest of my miserable life God bless you
> > > --
> > > Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
> > >
> > > "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> > > Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> > > Arthur Schopenhauer
> Please please write back

of course, if you wish to punish me you know how much I like to write to you so you just dont write it's like a game of Mornington Crescent where A player declares themself the winner on their move. it's just sick and twisted this is the way our civilization has become what are you do I guess what you have to do is just never say anything negative to anyone or maybe better yet never say anything at all to anyone

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<2d1d69a7-0be2-4f4a-be64-f324a1d35af3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8401&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8401

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 02:58 UTC

On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 7:39:50 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> lol On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 5:35:54 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > please come back. I'm so sorry. I never knew that by me asking about your children it would cause the destruction of our relationship. If I could only do something to make it up to you. Perhaps if I could somehow prove to you that I wasn't out to steal their identity all I was doing was I figured after 15 years we are to know a little bit of something about one another or else we could both be considered bots but I made a mistake I asked about your children and that appears to be the end of it so I know all these messages are making it worse and worse but I just can't stand the thought of me quitting and then never hearing anything from you the rest of my miserable life God bless you

> > Please please write back
> of course, if you wish to punish me you know how much I like to write to you so you just dont write it's like a game of Mornington Crescent where A player declares themself the winner on their move. it's just sick and twisted this is the way our civilization has become what are you do I guess what you have to do is just never say anything negative to anyone or maybe better yet never say anything at all to anyone

I just hate writing to people I just have no patience I'll send a message to the other person and I don't know if they'll answer in a minute or an hour or a day or 20 years it just tears me up to weight the only way I found out of this conundrum is it just never ride anyone it's like in the novel animal farm Benjamin Benjamin the donkey said I have a tail the swish away flies but I'd much rather that I have no hotels in there Bino flies so I guess it's something like nothing ventured nothing gained or anyone of 58 trillion other little cliché going around I just don't know what are we to do maybe Putin will Savo of this for us look at your watch right now My watch reads 956 if Putin has his way at 10:56 entire globe will be one huge fire have a nice day

All the misspellings and errors courtesy of Apple dictation software well that's not sure I'll take it back

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<45dc25fc-7335-46a6-a58e-8cace4f2382dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8402&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8402

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 23:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
<a8b123b5-effb-452a-bcb8-4cfa9a8b2c7an@googlegroups.com> <2d1d69a7-0be2-4f4a-be64-f324a1d35af3n@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:37 UTC

On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 9:58:11 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 7:39:50 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> > lol On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 5:35:54 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > Please please write back
> > of course, if you wish to punish me you know how much I like to write to you so you just dont write it's like a game of Mornington Crescent where A player declares themself the winner on their move. it's just sick and twisted this is the way our civilization has become what are you do I guess what you have to do is just never say anything negative to anyone or maybe better yet never say anything at all to anyone
> I just hate writing to people I just have no patience I'll send a message to the other person and I don't know if they'll answer in a minute or an hour or a day or 20 years it just tears me up to weight the only way I found out of this conundrum is it just never ride anyone it's like in the novel animal farm Benjamin Benjamin the donkey said I have a tail the swish away flies but I'd much rather that I have no hotels in there Bino flies so I guess it's something like nothing ventured nothing gained or anyone of 58 trillion other little cliché going around I just don't know what are we to do maybe Putin will Savo of this for us look at your watch right now My watch reads 956 if Putin has his way at 10:56 entire globe will be one huge fire have a nice day
>
> All the misspellings and errors courtesy of Apple dictation software well that's not sure I'll take it back

it's just terrible when one friend throws another friend away they almost never get back together why is that why a analogy is appropriate here when one friend throws another friend away and that friend would like to get that friend back does he/she go down to the city landfill and search for their body? You know like you heard stories of somebody accidentally throws away a diamond ring away and they'll go down to the landfill and search through 100,000,000 tons of crap to find it back when all it is is a little bit of mineral

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<6a1a6774-a163-404e-82d0-1546d7450f96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8406&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8406

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:55:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:55 UTC

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 1:37:22 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 9:58:11 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > of course, if you wish to punish me you know how much I like to write to you so you just dont write it's like a game of Mornington Crescent where A player declares themself the winner on their move. it's just sick and twisted this is the way our civilization has become what are you do I guess what you have to do is just never say anything negative to anyone or maybe better yet never say anything at all to anyone
> > I just hate writing to people I just have no patience I'll send a message to the other person and I don't know if they'll answer in a minute or an hour or a day or 20 years it just tears me up to weight the only way I found out of this conundrum is it just never ride anyone it's like in the novel animal farm Benjamin Benjamin the donkey said I have a tail the swish away flies but I'd much rather that I have no hotels in there Bino flies so I guess it's something like nothing ventured nothing gained or anyone of 58 trillion other little cliché going around I just don't know what are we to do maybe Putin will Savo of this for us look at your watch right now My watch reads 956 if Putin has his way at 10:56 entire globe will be one huge fire have a nice day
> >
> > All the misspellings and errors courtesy of Apple dictation software well that's not sure I'll take it back
> it's just terrible when one friend throws another friend away they almost never get back together why is that why a analogy is appropriate here when one friend throws another friend away and that friend would like to get that friend back does he/she go down to the city landfill and search for their body? You know like you heard stories of somebody accidentally throws away a diamond ring away and they'll go down to the landfill and search through 100,000,000 tons of crap to find it back when all it is is a little bit of mineral

as R.E.M. said I've said too much and I haven't said enough all I can think of to see us in the future if you can find it in your heart to ride again knowing that I promise to never ask about certain things again so that we might continue on with our dialectic I know you may think I'm making fun of you but I'm just grasping at ways for you to write back to me instead of just abandon me like an old are used Tampax but if that's the way it Hass to be it will be that way I have all your handwritten letters filed away I'm not sure really how it went before that you know this is the Internet and the trouble with the Internet is you kind of have a hard time being sure about someone in that they might say something about themselves that's not really true so that's the way it goes I'm sorry about all this and I just not ask that question about your children everything would be hunky-dory

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<fc6a8f88-9630-46fe-97f5-f276cd8976c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8408&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8408

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
<45dc25fc-7335-46a6-a58e-8cace4f2382dn@googlegroups.com> <6a1a6774-a163-404e-82d0-1546d7450f96n@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:21 UTC

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 10:55:04 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 1:37:22 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > I just hate writing to people I just have no patience I'll send a message to the other person and I don't know if they'll answer in a minute or an hour or a day or 20 years it just tears me up to weight the only way I found out of this conundrum is it just never ride anyone it's like in the novel animal farm Benjamin Benjamin the donkey said I have a tail the swish away flies but I'd much rather that I have no hotels in there Bino flies so I guess it's something like nothing ventured nothing gained or anyone of 58 trillion other little cliché going around I just don't know what are we to do maybe Putin will Savo of this for us look at your watch right now My watch reads 956 if Putin has his way at 10:56 entire globe will be one huge fire have a nice day
> > >
> > > All the misspellings and errors courtesy of Apple dictation software well that's not sure I'll take it back
> > it's just terrible when one friend throws another friend away they almost never get back together why is that why a analogy is appropriate here when one friend throws another friend away and that friend would like to get that friend back does he/she go down to the city landfill and search for their body? You know like you heard stories of somebody accidentally throws away a diamond ring away and they'll go down to the landfill and search through 100,000,000 tons of crap to find it back when all it is is a little bit of mineral
> as R.E.M. said I've said too much and I haven't said enough all I can think of to see us in the future if you can find it in your heart to ride again knowing that I promise to never ask about certain things again so that we might continue on with our dialectic I know you may think I'm making fun of you but I'm just grasping at ways for you to write back to me instead of just abandon me like an old are used Tampax but if that's the way it Hass to be it will be that way I have all your handwritten letters filed away I'm not sure really how it went before that you know this is the Internet and the trouble with the Internet is you kind of have a hard time being sure about someone in that they might say something about themselves that's not really true so that's the way it goes I'm sorry about all this and I just not ask that question about your children everything would be hunky-dory

so if you wish to write again feel free , that could be in a day or a week or a month or a year, five years , 10 years , 50 years , that's just how it works , if you're waiting to hear from somebody only God knows ahead of time when they will decide to write.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<b798e654-a469-482b-9074-2679214fe034n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8412&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8412

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:17:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 01:17 UTC

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 3:21:47 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 10:55:04 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > it's just terrible when one friend throws another friend away they almost never get back together why is that why a analogy is appropriate here when one friend throws another friend away and that friend would like to get that friend back does he/she go down to the city landfill and search for their body? You know like you heard stories of somebody accidentally throws away a diamond ring away and they'll go down to the landfill and search through 100,000,000 tons of crap to find it back when all it is is a little bit of mineral
> > as R.E.M. said I've said too much and I haven't said enough all I can think of to see us in the future if you can find it in your heart to ride again knowing that I promise to never ask about certain things again so that we might continue on with our dialectic I know you may think I'm making fun of you but I'm just grasping at ways for you to write back to me instead of just abandon me like an old are used Tampax but if that's the way it Hass to be it will be that way I have all your handwritten letters filed away I'm not sure really how it went before that you know this is the Internet and the trouble with the Internet is you kind of have a hard time being sure about someone in that they might say something about themselves that's not really true so that's the way it goes I'm sorry about all this and I just not ask that question about your children everything would be hunky-dory
> so if you wish to write again feel free , that could be in a day or a week or a month or a year, five years , 10 years , 50 years , that's just how it works , if you're waiting to hear from somebody only God knows ahead of time when they will decide to write.

Relationships are like a mathematical trap door
function. They're very hard to form and they're very easy to destroy.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<af187183-90b6-444d-aa85-9f9ce27345c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8416&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8416

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
<fc6a8f88-9630-46fe-97f5-f276cd8976c3n@googlegroups.com> <b798e654-a469-482b-9074-2679214fe034n@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 05:16 UTC

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 8:17:30 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 3:21:47 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > as R.E.M. said I've said too much and I haven't said enough all I can think of to see us in the future if you can find it in your heart to ride again knowing that I promise to never ask about certain things again so that we might continue on with our dialectic I know you may think I'm making fun of you but I'm just grasping at ways for you to write back to me instead of just abandon me like an old are used Tampax but if that's the way it Hass to be it will be that way I have all your handwritten letters filed away I'm not sure really how it went before that you know this is the Internet and the trouble with the Internet is you kind of have a hard time being sure about someone in that they might say something about themselves that's not really true so that's the way it goes I'm sorry about all this and I just not ask that question about your children everything would be hunky-dory
> > so if you wish to write again feel free , that could be in a day or a week or a month or a year, five years , 10 years , 50 years , that's just how it works , if you're waiting to hear from somebody only God knows ahead of time when they will decide to write.
> Relationships are like a mathematical trap door
> function. They're very hard to form and they're very easy to destroy.

I had one relationship which went on for 60 years destroyed by just a few unkind words.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<d6c50290-54a8-4263-a023-ac67633ebb9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8419&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8419

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:17 UTC

On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 12:16:34 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 8:17:30 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > so if you wish to write again feel free , that could be in a day or a week or a month or a year, five years , 10 years , 50 years , that's just how it works , if you're waiting to hear from somebody only God knows ahead of time when they will decide to write.
> > Relationships are like a mathematical trap door
> > function. They're very hard to form and they're very easy to destroy.
> I had one relationship which went on for 60 years destroyed by just a few unkind words.

It's to the point where you just wanna not try to form any relationships because they'll just fall apart over a trivial nothing.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<e7d74571-6336-4942-9ec8-05409298f89an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8420&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8420

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:30 UTC

On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, olcott wrote:
> On 3/26/2022 11:25 AM, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> >> One must be very careful about what one says when in conversation with another person so as to not upset them.
> >
> > If you upset another person in conversation you can either start an argument or say nothing or appease them.
>
> I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> I would not try to make them.
>
> --
> Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
>
> "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> Arthur Schopenhauer

speaking of target did you know you can go to the target parking lot and sight your deer rifle in on their sign and get away with it that's because it looks just like a usable target and when the police come to arrest you you just point out to the officer look officer there at the bottom of the target it says target there's a big word that says target what else could it be it was meant for me to come down here and sight in my deer rifle you can't take me away I want my dolly

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<6a09abdb-400a-4dd4-af0a-9cee4d8e8618n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8421&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8421

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:33:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, olcott wrote:
> On 3/26/2022 11:25 AM, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> >> One must be very careful about what one says when in conversation with another person so as to not upset them.
> >
> > If you upset another person in conversation you can either start an argument or say nothing or appease them.
>
> I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> I would not try to make them.
>
> -- Oh well like they say, in any relationship it's one strike you're out.. If the relationship wasn't very strong to begin with it can be destroyed by that one strike . Especially since apparently the two people aren't willing to work things out through communication . But that's OK . Each person has 7 billion other relationships possible in fact . it's just like when you act up at work and the boss says "there's 100 people standing right outside the door to take your place " and it's just like suppose the galaxy has 1 million other intelligent civilizations than us . what if humans destroy themselves. would it matter to the galaxy ? no , not one bit. It's analogous to a city of 1 million people and one person dies within the city . does the city give a damn ? no . so therefore if we destroy ourselves the galaxy will go on and not even notice it . like who cares ? listening , Putin?

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<80a67c42-df80-4b29-af3e-683057d2be5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8422&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8422

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:36 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 8:33:51 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, olcott wrote:
> > >
> > > If you upset another person in conversation you can either start an argument or say nothing or appease them.
> >
> > I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> > If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> > I would not try to make them.
> >
> > -- Oh well like they say, in any relationship it's one strike you're out. If the relationship wasn't very strong to begin with it can be destroyed by that one strike . Especially since apparently the two people aren't willing to work things out through communication . But that's OK . Each person has 7 billion other relationships possible in fact . it's just like when you act up at work and the boss says "there's 100 people standing right outside the door to take your place " and it's just like suppose the galaxy has 1 million other intelligent civilizations than us . what if humans destroy themselves. would it matter to the galaxy ? no , not one bit. It's analogous to a city of 1 million people and one person dies within the city . does the city give a damn ? no . so therefore if we destroy ourselves the galaxy will go on and not even notice it . like who cares ? listening , Putin?

So, Pete we have a request of you ; could you apply all this discussion about halting to your discussion about halting , kind of a meta-halting thingy-poo?

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<23e2c997-5f62-419f-92be-93eb08bc4cfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8423&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8423

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:02:20 -0700 (PDT)
<6a09abdb-400a-4dd4-af0a-9cee4d8e8618n@googlegroups.com> <80a67c42-df80-4b29-af3e-683057d2be5cn@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:02 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 8:36:17 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 8:33:51 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> > > If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> > > I would not try to make them.
> > >
> > > -- Oh well like they say, in any relationship it's one strike you're out. If the relationship wasn't very strong to begin with it can be destroyed by that one strike . Especially since apparently the two people aren't willing to work things out through communication . But that's OK . Each person has 7 billion other relationships possible in fact . it's just like when you act up at work and the boss says "there's 100 people standing right outside the door to take your place " and it's just like suppose the galaxy has 1 million other intelligent civilizations than us . what if humans destroy themselves. would it matter to the galaxy ? no , not one bit. It's analogous to a city of 1 million people and one person dies within the city . does the city give a damn ? no . so therefore if we destroy ourselves the galaxy will go on and not even notice it . like who cares ? listening , Putin?
> So, Pete we have a request of you ; could you apply all this discussion about halting to your discussion about halting , kind of a meta-halting thingy-poo?

and a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<a79c4a22-37c4-4468-bda2-53f0b7a400fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8424&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8424

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:24 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 9:02:22 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 8:36:17 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > So, Pete we have a request of you ; could you apply all this discussion about halting to your discussion about halting , kind of a meta-halting thingy-poo?
> and a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
> it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.

The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<91e90b0b-8318-4c92-beb4-dceb336bd4cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8426&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8426

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
<23e2c997-5f62-419f-92be-93eb08bc4cfcn@googlegroups.com> <a79c4a22-37c4-4468-bda2-53f0b7a400fbn@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 00:52 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 10:24:07 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 9:02:22 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > So, Pete we have a request of you ; could you apply all this discussion about halting to your discussion about halting , kind of a meta-halting thingy-poo?
> > and a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
> > it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.
> The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back

I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
But I tell you, diatribe like this sure doesn't help either.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<1f7d0942-6f32-4163-a52f-f756313b7764n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8428&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8428

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 04:21 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 7:52:36 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 10:24:07 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > and a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
> > > it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.
> > The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back
> I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
> But I tell you, diatribe like this sure doesn't help either.

And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.

it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<3728fc03-9fda-4fd1-817f-2def73a14bf0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8429&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8429

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:49:30 -0700 (PDT)
<91e90b0b-8318-4c92-beb4-dceb336bd4cbn@googlegroups.com> <1f7d0942-6f32-4163-a52f-f756313b7764n@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:49 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 11:21:46 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 7:52:36 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back
> > I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
> > But I tell you, diatribe like this sure doesn't help either.
> And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.
>
> it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication

I guess I'll just have to be more careful with what I say in the future.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<684150ac-0425-447d-94df-7386d76e5f6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8430&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8430

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:54 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 9:49:32 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 11:21:46 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
> > > But I tell you, diatribe like this sure doesn't help either.
> > And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.
> >
> > it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication
> I guess I'll just have to be more careful with what I say in the future.

Have you ever noticed that let's say you want to save the life of an insect in your house by getting it outside but it's so good at evading you it evades you thereby ensuring it's death because it's in your house where there's no food or water for it ? isn't that ironic?

Have you ever thought about that there's a cybernetic potential infinity of such statements as I just made?

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<88d4dc49-23ec-41c4-8c42-0df859dd8592n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8431&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8431

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:41 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 11:21:46 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 7:52:36 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back
> > I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
> > But I tell you, diatribe like this sure doesn't help either.
> And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.
>
> it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication

The more you badger someone to communicate with you the less likely that they will.

If they do eventually communicate with you again it could be in a day or week or month or year or 10 years or 100 years assuming they've replaced themselves with a bot when they die, but thats science fiction, not reality.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<660aab60-b4d5-4ce7-9427-545352552b06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8432&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8432

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:56 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8:41:08 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 11:21:46 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
> > > But I tell you, diatribe like this sure doesn't help either.
> > And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.
> >
> > it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication
> The more you badger someone to communicate with you the less likely that they will.
>
> If they do eventually communicate with you again it could be in a day or week or month or year or 10 years or 100 years assuming they've replaced themselves with a bot when they die, but thats science fiction, not reality.

Jenny It's an educational tool you post stuff in a row so that people can read it and use their critical thinking to decide whether to act on it or not

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<907f2088-6b07-4e3c-bcc7-ebecc50f14e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8434&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8434

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:29:15 -0700 (PDT)
<88d4dc49-23ec-41c4-8c42-0df859dd8592n@googlegroups.com> <660aab60-b4d5-4ce7-9427-545352552b06n@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:29 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8:56:19 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8:41:08 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.
> > >
> > > it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication
> > The more you badger someone to communicate with you the less likely that they will.
> >
> > If they do eventually communicate with you again it could be in a day or week or month or year or 10 years or 100 years assuming they've replaced themselves with a bot when they die, but thats science fiction, not reality..
> Jenny It's an educational tool you post stuff in a row so that people can read it and use their critical thinking to decide whether to act on it or not

a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.
The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<5d3e9e0e-3bb5-4869-9f94-44e18a8f8b6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8435&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8435

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:40 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 10:29:17 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8:56:19 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > The more you badger someone to communicate with you the less likely that they will.
> > >
> > > If they do eventually communicate with you again it could be in a day or week or month or year or 10 years or 100 years assuming they've replaced themselves with a bot when they die, but thats science fiction, not reality.
> > Jenny It's an educational tool you post stuff in a row so that people can read it and use their critical thinking to decide whether to act on it or not
>

> a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
> it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.
> The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back

a relationship is like a wine glass . if you drop it it shatters into 1000 pieces and it can never be pieced back together again .
> > > it's also like two molecules in a gas they may join up for a while but if they're dissociated then the chances are virtually zero that they would ever reunite again.
> > The harder you try to get someone back into your relationship the worse chance you'll have ; they just have to decide they want to come back
> I've had relationship partners leave me for the most pathetic , minor , inconsequential ,stupid little reasons known to Humanity.
> But I tell you, diatribes like this sure dontnhelp either.

And the trouble is once you split up with your relationship partner usually all the lines of communication are severed so there's no way to get back together even if you wanted to . everything sucks.

it's like when in those old western movies the engines cut the telegraph lines no communication

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<d6e66971-cd60-469c-b2c2-302fb679a38en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8439&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8439

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 02:03 UTC

On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, olcott wrote:
> On 3/26/2022 11:25 AM, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> >> One must be very careful about what one says when in conversation with another person so as to not upset them.
> >
> > If you upset another person in conversation you can either start an argument or say nothing or appease them.
>
> I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> I would not try to make them.
>
> --
> Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
>
> "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> Arthur Schopenhauer

Why even try anymore ? everything you try just turns to crap.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<302f87b8-6742-4baf-bb32-c38a76a37fden@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8440&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8440

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:28 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 9:03:16 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, olcott wrote:
> > >
> > > If you upset another person in conversation you can either start an argument or say nothing or appease them.
> >
> > I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> > If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> > I would not try to make them.
> >
> > --
> > Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
> >
> > "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> > Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> > Arthur Schopenhauer
>
> Why even try anymore ? everything you try just turns to crap.

You know, from now on I'm gonna be careful about asking questions about people that don't compromise their identity one tiny little bit.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<94d3befa-5f69-4f38-a1e2-6563b83e5f1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8441&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8441

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
<d6e66971-cd60-469c-b2c2-302fb679a38en@googlegroups.com> <302f87b8-6742-4baf-bb32-c38a76a37fden@googlegroups.com>
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:15 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 12:28:16 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 9:03:16 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > I just buy Bic lighters from the store.
> > > If I needed matches, I would buy these too,
> > > I would not try to make them.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott
> > >
> > > "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
> > > Genius hits a target no one else can see."
> > > Arthur Schopenhauer
> >
> > Why even try anymore ? everything you try just turns to crap.
> You know, from now on I'm gonna be careful about asking questions about people that don't compromise their identity one tiny little bit.

If you love someone let them go ; if they come back , it's beautiful ; if they don't, it never was.

Re: reconsidering the 'computerized match maker'

<1e209776-9564-4b62-a565-01d2f9de3abdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8442&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8442

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:16 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 8:15:06 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 12:28:16 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > Why even try anymore ? everything you try just turns to crap.
> > You know, from now on I'm gonna be careful about asking questions about people that don't compromise their identity one tiny little bit.
> If you love someone let them go ; if they come back , it's beautiful ; if they don't, it never was.

Less contorted: I need to be careful about asking people questions which don't compromise their identity at all but yet could be construed as compromising their identity.