"Well hello there Charlie Brown, you blockhead." -- Lucy Van Pelt

computers / comp.os.vms / the document describing the system service transfer vector

SubjectAuthor
* the document describing the system service transfer vectorhb
+- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorhb
`* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorAndy Burns
 +- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorStephen Hoffman
 `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorVAXman-
  +* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorAndy Burns
  |`* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorVAXman-
  | `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |  `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorArne Vajhøj
  |   +* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |   |`* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorArne Vajhøj
  |   | `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |   |  `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorArne Vajhøj
  |   |   +- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |   |   `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
  |   |    +- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorJohn Dallman
  |   |    `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |   |     `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorArne Vajhøj
  |   |      +* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorSimon Clubley
  |   |      |`- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |   |      `- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorBill Gunshannon
  |   `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorDavid Jones
  |    `* Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorArne Vajhøj
  |     +- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorDavid Jones
  |     `- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorSimon Clubley
  `- Re: the document describing the system service transfer vectorSingle Stage to Orbit

Pages:12
Re: the document describing the system service transfer vector

<joug2bF8mf3U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24926&group=comp.os.vms#24926

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: the document describing the system service transfer vector
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:45:31 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 18:45 UTC

On 9/20/22 14:40, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2022-09-20, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> On 9/20/2022 2:17 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless things have changed modern web browsers are available
>>> Open Source.  All it would take was someone who knew VMS
>>> development to do the port.  After, of course, someone did
>>> a port of a modern version of X11 (also opensource).  :-)
>>
>> It would probably be hard to find a 100% closed source web
>> browser today.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> But they are pretty big.
>>
>> It is more than the browser and X.
>>
>> It would need GTK+ or Qt on top of X.
>>
>> It would need a JavaScript engine.
>>
>> It would need uptodate versions of a bunch of graphic
>> and video libraries.
>>

> Also add:
>
> Modern version of C++.
>
> Depending on browser, maybe a Rust port as well.
>
> A modern build system.
>
> Emulation of any missing or incomplete Unix APIs that the browser needs.
>
> It is also unclear to me if the version of X running under VMS would
> be modern enough to support such a port.

Thus the reason I said, "After, of course, someone did
a port of a modern version of X11 (also opensource)."

bill