From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Subject: Change Login Request For Password??
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:53:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:53 UTC

On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name, the
response is

user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’s password:

Is it possible to customize the response after “@”? At the very
least, can it be configured to show

user_name@server_name

I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.

I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
apologies. I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change the
actual query for the password.

Re: Change Login Request For Password??

<sshea4$8uv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=260&group=comp.security.ssh#260

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: Change Login Request For Password??
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:19:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:19 UTC

I don't think that has anything to do with ssh, but is the system's
password prompt.
for me when logging in with ssh, I just get Password:

On 2022-01-22, NotReal <NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:
> On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name, the
> response is
>
> user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’s password:
>
> Is it possible to customize the response after “@”? At the very
> least, can it be configured to show
>
> user_name@server_name
>
> I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.
>
> I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
> apologies. I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change the
> actual query for the password.

Re: Change Login Request For Password??

<sshek6$dk1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=261&group=comp.security.ssh#261

From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:24:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:24 UTC

William Unruh wrote:

> I don't think that has anything to do with ssh, but is the system's
> password prompt.
> for me when logging in with ssh, I just get Password:
>
> On 2022-01-22, NotReal <NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:
> > On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name,
> > the response is
> >
> > user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxBs password:
> >
> > Is it possible to customize the response after B@B? At the
> > very least, can it be configured to show
> >
> > user_name@server_name
> >
> > I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.
> >
> > I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
> > apologies. I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change
> > the actual query for the password.

Interesting. I had never considered that. You have given me another
possibility to consider and look into. Thanks.

Re: Change Login Request For Password??

<sshu9o$t60$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=262&group=comp.security.ssh#262

From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:51:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:51 UTC

William Unruh wrote:

> I don't think that has anything to do with ssh, but is the system's
> password prompt.
> for me when logging in with ssh, I just get Password:
>
> On 2022-01-22, NotReal <NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:
> > On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name,
> > the response is
> >
> > user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxBs password:
> >
> > Is it possible to customize the response after B@B? At the
> > very least, can it be configured to show
> >
> > user_name@server_name
> >
> > I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.
> >
> > I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
> > apologies. I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change
> > the actual query for the password.

After doing some research with your comment in mind because it was a
good thought, I made some interesting discoveries. It turns out that
that ssh is only echoing back what I put in. If I use "ssh -l username
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to login on anther server, I received
"username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:". On the other hand, if I used
"ssh -l username hostname", I received "username@hostame's password:"
It also appears to be true if I use Putty from a Windows PC

That is fine with me, so I guess I am all set. I was only concerned
that my server was revealing information to the outside world about my
internal network. Thanks for your help.

Re: Change Login Request For Password??

<sshukf$ter$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=263&group=comp.security.ssh#263

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:57:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:57 UTC

As I said, I get
Password:
nomatter what I enter on the ssh line

You do not say what operating system you are using. Windows, Mac,
Linux,.... on the two machines.

On 2022-01-22, NotReal <NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:
> William Unruh wrote:
>
>> I don't think that has anything to do with ssh, but is the system's
>> password prompt.
>> for me when logging in with ssh, I just get Password:
>>
>> On 2022-01-22, NotReal <NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:
>> > On my server with SSH, when a user logs in and enters a user name,
>> > the response is
>> >
>> > user_name@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxBs password:
>> >
>> > Is it possible to customize the response after B@B? At the
>> > very least, can it be configured to show
>> >
>> > user_name@server_name
>> >
>> > I would prefer that the IP address is not in the response.
>> >
>> > I have looked at the man pages, but if I missed that section, my
>> > apologies. I did find how to add a banner, but not how to change
>> > the actual query for the password.
>> >

> After doing some research with your comment in mind because it was a
> good thought, I made some interesting discoveries. It turns out that
> that ssh is only echoing back what I put in. If I use "ssh -l username
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to login on anther server, I received
> "username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:". On the other hand, if I used
> "ssh -l username hostname", I received "username@hostame's password:"
> It also appears to be true if I use Putty from a Windows PC
>
> That is fine with me, so I guess I am all set. I was only concerned
> that my server was revealing information to the outside world about my
> internal network. Thanks for your help.

Re: Change Login Request For Password??

<ssij4b$hnp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=264&group=comp.security.ssh#264

From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.security.ssh
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:47:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:47 UTC

William Unruh wrote:

> As I said, I get
> Password:
> nomatter what I enter on the ssh line
>
> You do not say what operating system you are using. Windows, Mac,
> Linux,.... on the two machines.

My main servers are Slackware but I also have a Pi with Raspbian for a
honeypot along with various window versions as desktops. I tried
different combinations and the results were all the same as I described
in my last post.