I program, therefore I am.

devel / comp.theory / On the halting problem (reprise #2)

SubjectAuthor
* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Mr Flibble
+* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Mikko
|`* On the halting problem (reprise #2)olcott
| `* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Richard Damon
|  `* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Mr Flibble
|   +* On the halting problem (reprise #2)olcott
|   |`* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Richard Damon
|   | `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_Golcott
|   |  `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_Gödel's G ]Richard Damon
|   |   +* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_Golcott
|   |   |`* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_GRichard Damon
|   |   | `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_Golcott
|   |   |  `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_GRichard Damon
|   |   |   `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_Golcott
|   |   |    `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_Golcott
|   |   |     `- _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_GRichard Damon
|   |   `* _On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_GJeff Barnett
|   |    `* On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]olcott
|   |     `* On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]Jeff Barnett
|   |      `* On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]olcott
|   |       `* On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]Jeff Barnett
|   |        `- On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]olcott
|   `* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Richard Damon
|    `* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Mr Flibble
|     +- On the halting problem (reprise #2)olcott
|     `- On the halting problem (reprise #2)Richard Damon
+* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Richard Damon
|`* On the halting problem (reprise #2)Python
| +- On the halting problem (reprise #2)olcott
| `- On the halting problem (reprise #2)Ben
+- On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ truth bearers ]olcott
`- On the halting problem (reprise #2)olcott

Pages:12
Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]

<IcqdndHuSvjxWvH_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31226&group=comp.theory#31226

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:21:48 -0500
Subject: Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 05:21 UTC

On 4/30/2022 12:08 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 4/29/2022 7:46 PM, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>>    <SNIP>

>>> Unless Prolog has changed wildly in the last several years, it isn't
>>> even close to FOL. I remember it as a toy that could only represent
>>> and reason with Horn clauses. Can Prolog now deal with quantifiers
>>> and negation on both sides of an implication? That would be very
>>> impressive.
>>>
>>> As a side note, I think it was this paucity of power that caused many
>>> folks to not understand that "A -> B" could be true when "B" was false.
>>
>> It resolves the Liar Paradox to semantically malformed:
>>
>> ?- LP = not(true(LP)).
>> LP = not(true(LP)).
>>
>> ?- unify_with_occurs_check(LP, not(true(LP))).
>> false.
>>
>> (SWI-Prolog (threaded, 64 bits, version 7.6.4)
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence
>

> I know this is painful for you but 1) it is ill-formed AND 2) it isn't
> the liar's paradox; it's just ill-formed like most of your attempts to
> express things symbolically.

LP := ~True(LP)
I will certainly not take you word that the above expression is not
correctly encoded in Prolog.

There is a dearth of material on formalizing the Liar Paradox, so it is
very doubtful that you have mastered it.

> It's also an extremely poor response. I was hoping that Richard would
> inform me if Prolog had extraordinarily extended its representation and
> reasoning power. And here you are, a self-proclaimed Prologue expert who
> missed a chance to actually pass back useful and correct information.

unify_with_occurs_check is from a quoted reference in my paper from
Clocksin and Mellish on page 3. It does detect semantically ill-formed
expressions that specify infinitely nested definition.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]

<t4iklt$nb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31227&group=comp.theory#31227

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:23:53 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:23 UTC

On 4/29/2022 11:21 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/30/2022 12:08 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:

>>> It resolves the Liar Paradox to semantically malformed:
>>>
>>> ?- LP = not(true(LP)).
>>> LP = not(true(LP)).
>>>
>>> ?- unify_with_occurs_check(LP, not(true(LP))).
>>> false.
>>>
>>> (SWI-Prolog (threaded, 64 bits, version 7.6.4)
>>>
>>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence
>>

>> I know this is painful for you but 1) it is ill-formed AND 2) it isn't
>> the liar's paradox; it's just ill-formed like most of your attempts to
>> express things symbolically.
>>

> LP := ~True(LP)
> I will certainly not take you word that the above expression is not
> correctly encoded in Prolog.
>
> There is a dearth of material on formalizing the Liar Paradox, so it is
> very doubtful that you have mastered it.
>
>> It's also an extremely poor response. I was hoping that Richard would
>> inform me if Prolog had extraordinarily extended its representation
>> and reasoning power. And here you are, a self-proclaimed Prologue
>> expert who missed a chance to actually pass back useful and correct
>> information.
>
> unify_with_occurs_check is from a quoted reference in my paper from
> Clocksin and Mellish on page 3. It does detect semantically ill-formed
> expressions that specify infinitely nested definition.
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence
>

>> Instead, as usual, you just crapped on your terminal with non-sense. I
>> guess you know as little about Prologue as everything else you discuss.
>>
>> I don't think I'll bother to thank you for your effort.
So even Prologue tells you your input is ill-formed and I agree that
it's ill-formed in any formalism I know about. I can also tell you that
it isn't the liar's paradox. If it is it would be well-formed in the
formalism and the interpretation mechanism (or theory) might point out
that it's kinky. But note that a formalism can only tell you about those
things that are well formed. Consider the string "8ujshjqd) dupe{]"
which Prologue will likely tell you is ill formed too. Hell, I'm going
to claim that expression is the Liar's Paradox (note the capitalization
this time). And I'm as entitled to that claim as you are to yours. It's
based on the same reasoning. In other words your "proof scheme" is
fucked, but I'm sure you'll double down on it in the next several days.
I have no doubt that you cannot understand this and you might even try
one more stupid reply. But why bother? Once again you failed to answer a
very basic question about Prologue. I think we can all conclude that you
know about as much about Prologue as you do about C, C ++, and rookie
assembler code. In other words, as ignorant as a turnip.
You have butted in when I asked Richard a question that you showed you
don't understand. Rather than try to answer it - a simple task for a
self proclaimed expert such as yourself - you stuck your head up your
ass and started typing. I think you have developed hemorrhoids, over
time, as your major health problem.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]

<daidneCBIf7OSvH_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31228&group=comp.theory#31228

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 01:29:39 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:29 UTC

On 4/30/2022 1:23 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 4/29/2022 11:21 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> I know this is painful for you but 1) it is ill-formed AND 2) it
>>> isn't the liar's paradox; it's just ill-formed like most of your
>>> attempts to express things symbolically.
>>>

>> LP := ~True(LP)
>> I will certainly not take you word that the above expression is not
>> correctly encoded in Prolog.
>>
>> There is a dearth of material on formalizing the Liar Paradox, so it
>> is very doubtful that you have mastered it.
>>
>>> It's also an extremely poor response. I was hoping that Richard would
>>> inform me if Prolog had extraordinarily extended its representation
>>> and reasoning power. And here you are, a self-proclaimed Prologue
>>> expert who missed a chance to actually pass back useful and correct
>>> information.
>>
>> unify_with_occurs_check is from a quoted reference in my paper from
>> Clocksin and Mellish on page 3. It does detect semantically ill-formed
>> expressions that specify infinitely nested definition.
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence
>>

>>> Instead, as usual, you just crapped on your terminal with non-sense.
>>> I guess you know as little about Prologue as everything else you
>>> discuss.
>>>
>>> I don't think I'll bother to thank you for your effort.
> So even Prologue tells you your input is ill-formed and I agree that
> it's ill-formed in any formalism I know about. I can also tell you that
> it isn't the liar's paradox.

OK do that cite all of the references of the proper way to formalize the
liar paradox.

> If it is it would be well-formed in the
> formalism and the interpretation mechanism (or theory) might point out
> that it's kinky. But note that a formalism can only tell you about those
> things that are well formed. Consider the string "8ujshjqd) dupe{]"
> which Prologue will likely tell you is ill formed too. Hell, I'm going
> to claim that expression is the Liar's Paradox (note the capitalization
> this time). And I'm as entitled to that claim as you are to yours. It's
> based on the same reasoning. In other words your "proof scheme" is
> fucked, but I'm sure you'll double down on it in the next several days.
>
> I have no doubt that you cannot understand this and you might even try
> one more stupid reply. But why bother? Once again you failed to answer a
> very basic question about Prologue. I think we can all conclude that you
> know about as much about Prologue as you do about C, C ++, and rookie
> assembler code. In other words, as ignorant as a turnip.
>
> You have butted in when I asked Richard a question that you showed you
> don't understand. Rather than try to answer it - a simple task for a
> self proclaimed expert such as yourself - you stuck your head up your
> ass and started typing. I think you have developed hemorrhoids, over
> time, as your major health problem.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2)

<20220430134840.00000847@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31231&group=comp.theory#31231

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:48:40 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:48 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:41:05 -0400
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 4/29/22 4:17 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:42:49 -0400
> > Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> What is given the wrong category, and what category is it
> >> incorrectly being given.
> >
> > The two categories are the decider and that which is being decided.
> >

> So you are making a category error, because those are not CATEGORIES.
>
> And no one says the "Halt Decider" IS the "Halting Property"

See [Strachey, 1965].

/Flibble

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2)

<oJSdnXHtRpAz3_D_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31232&group=comp.theory#31232

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:07:42 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:07 UTC

On 4/30/2022 7:48 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> [Strachey, 1965

Strachey, C 1965. An impossible program The Computer Journal, Volume 7,
Issue 4,January 1965, Page 313, https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/7.4.313

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2)

<VskbK.5633$E3G.4821@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31257&group=comp.theory#31257

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 20:26:30 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 1 May 2022 00:26 UTC

On 4/30/22 8:48 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:41:05 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/22 4:17 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> The two categories are the decider and that which is being decided.
>>>

>> So you are making a category error, because those are not CATEGORIES.
>>
>> And no one says the "Halt Decider" IS the "Halting Property"
>
> See [Strachey, 1965].
>
> /Flibble

And where does he say that the Halting Property is the program?

You still haven't actually DEFINED what you mean by the category, and
what is called part of that that actually isn't.

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Gödel's G ]

<NVkbK.942097$aT3.365389@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31260&group=comp.theory#31260

Subject: Re:_On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_G
ödel's G ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 20:57:18 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 1 May 2022 00:57 UTC

Click here to read the complete article