Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

SubjectAuthor
* Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!rms
+- Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Zaghadka
+- Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Anssi Saari
+* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!JAB
|`* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Justisaur
| `* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!JAB
|  `- Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Spalls Hurgenson
`* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Anssi Saari
 `* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Zaghadka
  `* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!rms
   `* Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!rms
    `- Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!Zaghadka

1
Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<tnaeop$2ikhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9875&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9875

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:03:05 -0700
 by: rms - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 18:03 UTC

On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
raytracing if you have the hardware... They've added many fan mods also,
which seems a very strange choice to me, but shrug:
https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes

I've finished Firewatch, and am playing some offline campaign missions from
Aliens Fireteam this week (which is a surprisingly fun game for me, I like
simple frantic shooters!). Next, I still want to play and finish Deus Ex Go
before its disabled next year, then I'll likely start this updated Witcher 3
!

rms

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<mirhpht6ghljeli39e79ua7kndni95p7oo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9880&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9880

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:28:12 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 21:28 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:03:05 -0700, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, rms
wrote:

>On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
>raytracing if you have the hardware... They've added many fan mods also,
>which seems a very strange choice to me, but shrug:
>https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes
>
>I've finished Firewatch, and am playing some offline campaign missions from
>Aliens Fireteam this week (which is a surprisingly fun game for me, I like
>simple frantic shooters!). Next, I still want to play and finish Deus Ex Go
>before its disabled next year, then I'll likely start this updated Witcher 3
>!

Cool. Witcher 3 has been in my backlog for years, and maybe now I'll
finally play it.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<sm0pmcm2w7w.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9886&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9886

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:03:31 +0200
sha1:TVBcLbWsnMQ34JaxupepDQUdC+M=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:03 UTC

"rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> writes:

> On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
> raytracing if you have the hardware... They've added many fan mods
> also, which seems a very strange choice to me, but shrug:
> https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes

Maybe it's time for another go with Witcher 3. I don't think I got very
far last time.

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<tnc7io$2p5p0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9887&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9887

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:12:39 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:12 UTC

On 13/12/2022 18:03, rms wrote:
> On both console & pc!  Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
> raytracing if you have the hardware... They've added many fan mods also,
> which seems a very strange choice to me, but shrug:
> https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes
>
> I've finished Firewatch, and am playing some offline campaign missions
> from Aliens Fireteam this week (which is a surprisingly fun game for me,
> I like simple frantic shooters!).  Next, I still want to play and finish
> Deus Ex Go before its disabled next year, then I'll likely start this
> updated Witcher 3 !

I quite like a good old shoot everything in sight and we'll tack on some
weak story type game. What I don't like is the price they generally are
as I think of them more as a time-waster than a 'game experience.

Aliens Fireteam, I'll probably end up getting it in a couple of years
time when they are trying to mop up the last possible sales to people
like me by selling it for £5.

The Witcher 3, I have the first two but like a lot of games in series
even if I really like the first one (I did like The Witcher) the second
one is almost always a disappointment and I've now learnt that if I
didn't feel I got my monies worth from the second then why buy the third.

Oh and hope you enjoyed Firewatch.

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<2b5a142b-6514-4fd4-9727-a1668d699969n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9904&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9904

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:25:49 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 00:25 UTC

On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 2:12:42 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:
> On 13/12/2022 18:03, rms wrote:
> > On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
> > raytracing if you have the hardware... They've added many fan mods also,
> > which seems a very strange choice to me, but shrug:
> > https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes
> >
> > I've finished Firewatch, and am playing some offline campaign missions
> > from Aliens Fireteam this week (which is a surprisingly fun game for me,
> > I like simple frantic shooters!). Next, I still want to play and finish
> > Deus Ex Go before its disabled next year, then I'll likely start this
> > updated Witcher 3 !
> >
> I quite like a good old shoot everything in sight and we'll tack on some
> weak story type game. What I don't like is the price they generally are
> as I think of them more as a time-waster than a 'game experience.
>
> Aliens Fireteam, I'll probably end up getting it in a couple of years
> time when they are trying to mop up the last possible sales to people
> like me by selling it for £5.
>
> The Witcher 3, I have the first two but like a lot of games in series
> even if I really like the first one (I did like The Witcher) the second
> one is almost always a disappointment and I've now learnt that if I
> didn't feel I got my monies worth from the second then why buy the third.

I got my money's worth on 1, but barely and only because of the setting
& story, the combat was garbage. I didn't get my money's worth on 2
as I quit at the first boss fight, I may someday try to play it again,
that's why I haven't bought 3, but as people say it's a lot better than 2,
I'll give it a try sometime when the fancy strikes and it's on deep discount.
But with so many games these days, I'm not sure that day will ever come.

Especially as I've been playing 99% Play by Post Dungeon Robber and
don't see myself getting tired of that anytime soon.

- Justisaur

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<tnhb4d$3ba3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9927&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9927

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:43:54 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:43 UTC

On 15/12/2022 00:25, Justisaur wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 2:12:42 AM UTC-8, JAB wrote:
>> On 13/12/2022 18:03, rms wrote:
>>> On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
>>> raytracing if you have the hardware... They've added many fan mods also,
>>> which seems a very strange choice to me, but shrug:
>>> https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes
>>>
>>> I've finished Firewatch, and am playing some offline campaign missions
>>> from Aliens Fireteam this week (which is a surprisingly fun game for me,
>>> I like simple frantic shooters!). Next, I still want to play and finish
>>> Deus Ex Go before its disabled next year, then I'll likely start this
>>> updated Witcher 3 !
>>>
>> I quite like a good old shoot everything in sight and we'll tack on some
>> weak story type game. What I don't like is the price they generally are
>> as I think of them more as a time-waster than a 'game experience.
>>
>> Aliens Fireteam, I'll probably end up getting it in a couple of years
>> time when they are trying to mop up the last possible sales to people
>> like me by selling it for £5.
>>
>> The Witcher 3, I have the first two but like a lot of games in series
>> even if I really like the first one (I did like The Witcher) the second
>> one is almost always a disappointment and I've now learnt that if I
>> didn't feel I got my monies worth from the second then why buy the third.
>
> I got my money's worth on 1, but barely and only because of the setting
> & story, the combat was garbage. I didn't get my money's worth on 2
> as I quit at the first boss fight, I may someday try to play it again,
> that's why I haven't bought 3, but as people say it's a lot better than 2,
> I'll give it a try sometime when the fancy strikes and it's on deep discount.
> But with so many games these days, I'm not sure that day will ever come.
>
> Especially as I've been playing 99% Play by Post Dungeon Robber and
> don't see myself getting tired of that anytime soon.

2 I just never really got into. I can't point at a specific reason for
that beyond I just wasn't that interested in advancing the story. Maybe
I'll give it another try sometime. 1 I very much got my money's worth
even if never completed it. A lot of that I think was it was a bit
different even with little things like the villages seemed more alive
than you'd normally expect. The combat I found ok but then again combat
isn't something I play games for so for me it doesn't have to be good
but instead not bad.

I did nearly give up in I think the first chapter with the wolf fight. I
tried it time and time again and failed again and again. I did look it
up on YT and the key seemed to be not fight it as normal but instead run
around in circles. Why do developers leave parts like that in. There's a
difference between providing a challenge and straying into frustration.

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<n11pph5j0jjonjs7pgtkugu5vlnmc8r20d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9930&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9930

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:49:38 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:49 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:43:54 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>2 I just never really got into. I can't point at a specific reason for
>that beyond I just wasn't that interested in advancing the story. Maybe
>I'll give it another try sometime. 1 I very much got my money's worth
>even if never completed it. A lot of that I think was it was a bit
>different even with little things like the villages seemed more alive
>than you'd normally expect. The combat I found ok but then again combat
>isn't something I play games for so for me it doesn't have to be good
>but instead not bad.

Same. I've played all the games, but only 1 and 3 have I played more
than once. I've tried to get into Witcher 2 again, but it leaves me
cold. Perhaps it's the over-emphasis on the settings politics - always
a part of the franchise, but rarely so core to the story - or how it
dumps you into the deep end expecting you to know all the backstory
(it's hard to decide whether I should side with person A or B when I -
the player - barely remember who either of them are). Or maybe it's
because it is the most linear of the three games, essentially
shuttling you from one map to the next as the story demands, and not
allowing the players to decide. But "Witcher 2" is by far the least
engaging game of the series.

Fortunately, the third game - although it takes hints from the second
game's story - doesn't really require you to have played it to
understand. It's far more open, it eases you into the setting more
slowly, and its gameplay is a lot more fun.

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<sm0v8m71q0x.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9997&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9997

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:28:30 +0200
sha1:FK0HIvoL3h2du79cciDwRFCmR04=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:28 UTC

"rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> writes:

> On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
> raytracing if you have the hardware...

Apparently the patch performs poorly, on any hardware. So need to wait
for a patch for the patch...

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<rmt0qh5250l236di08518idrah04b2ood1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9998&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9998

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 08:36:46 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:36 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:28:30 +0200, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Anssi Saari wrote:

>"rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> writes:
>
>> On both console & pc! Lots of mostly graphical updates, including
>> raytracing if you have the hardware...
>
>Apparently the patch performs poorly, on any hardware. So need to wait
>for a patch for the patch...

New patch live:

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<tnq28h$clea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10000&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10000

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:07:42 -0700
 by: rms - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 16:07 UTC

>We’ve just released a hotfix for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PC which
>should improve overall stability and performance of the game, and fix
>GOG & Steam overlays. The game version won’t change.

Improvements were minor, steam forums say. If the root issue is the game
being single-threaded, that would require a major rewrite I would think?

rms

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<tnq2li$cn2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10001&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10001

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:14:40 -0700
 by: rms - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 16:14 UTC

"i wouldn't expect a quick resolution. it looks like they're using a super
inefficient DX11->12 translation layer that is bottlenecking the GPU along
single-thread performance. that's a pretty fundamental decision and i doubt
they had a better solution or they wouldn't have done it to begin with"
--- forum comment.

I'm thinking I'll have to hold off starting this game and play other games
for awhile :(

rms

Re: Witcher 3 NextGen update goes live tonight!

<gto1qhhck5g6d0ujf2v81sp0o0is14883s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10006&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10006

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 16:21:33 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:21 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:14:40 -0700, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, rms
wrote:

>"i wouldn't expect a quick resolution. it looks like they're using a super
>inefficient DX11->12 translation layer that is bottlenecking the GPU along
>single-thread performance. that's a pretty fundamental decision and i doubt
>they had a better solution or they wouldn't have done it to begin with"
> --- forum comment.
>
>I'm thinking I'll have to hold off starting this game and play other games
>for awhile :(

Ah CDPR. What would we do without you?

Ok, queueing up Cyberpunk then.