To Perl, or not to Perl, that is the kvetching. -- Larry Wall in <199801200310.TAA11670@wall.org>

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderZaghadka
|+* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderSpalls Hurgenson
||`* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderZaghadka
|| `- Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderJustisaur
|+* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Orderkyonshi
||`- Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderJAB
|`- Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderPW
`* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderAnt
 `* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderZaghadka
  `* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderAnt
   `* Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderZaghadka
    `- Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New OrderAnt

1
Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<6an3qhp1hr5urm2bcsh42tncbcoglt00rk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10014&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10014

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:05:29 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:05 UTC

On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
A chance to shoot at evil Nazis

Today we get:

* Wolfenstein: The New Order
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
so close, yet so far.

Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
year, you have 24 hours to do so now.

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<k6o3qhdg3a87b1juep6r3jpd24cos8f4u1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10018&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10018

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:21:34 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:21 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:05:29 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
>A chance to shoot at evil Nazis
>
>Today we get:
>
>* Wolfenstein: The New Order
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
>Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
>well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
>reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
>into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
>interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
>narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
>why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
>so close, yet so far.
>
>Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
>year, you have 24 hours to do so now.

I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
XXX game instead of a AAA game.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<3jo3qh1rapqtb2decu73jbskt9qk7thka3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10021&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10021

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:33:09 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:33 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:21:34 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:05:29 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
>>A chance to shoot at evil Nazis
>>
>>Today we get:
>>
>>* Wolfenstein: The New Order
>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
>>Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
>>well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
>>reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
>>into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
>>interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
>>narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
>>why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
>>so close, yet so far.
>>
>>Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
>>year, you have 24 hours to do so now.
>>
>I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
>go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
>XXX game instead of a AAA game.

I'd have been more excited has we gotten 2009's "Wolfenstein" (the one
where Blaskowicz goes to another dimension to fight ghosts. No,
really), just because that game has never had a digital release as far
as I'm aware. If I want to play it I have to use a.... disc <shudder>

As for "New Order", I don't know if /everyone/ has it, just that most
of our regulars who might be interested in the game probably do
because, as I said, Epic offered it for free back on 2nd June 2022.
But if they don't, might as well pick it up now.

But if you do, hit ESC everytime it goes to cutscene, because the
protagonist's melancholy brooding narrative /so/ does not fit with the
"blood and gore is FUN!" gameplay.

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<9dp3qhdreddjj3ktndqp8ffc7udk0371h5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10023&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10023

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:45:51 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:45 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:33:09 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:21:34 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:05:29 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>>>On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
>>>A chance to shoot at evil Nazis
>>>
>>>Today we get:
>>>
>>>* Wolfenstein: The New Order
>>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
>>>Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
>>>well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
>>>reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
>>>into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
>>>interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
>>>narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
>>>why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
>>>so close, yet so far.
>>>
>>>Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
>>>year, you have 24 hours to do so now.
>>>
>>I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
>>go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
>>XXX game instead of a AAA game.
>
>I'd have been more excited has we gotten 2009's "Wolfenstein" (the one
>where Blaskowicz goes to another dimension to fight ghosts. No,
>really), just because that game has never had a digital release as far
>as I'm aware. If I want to play it I have to use a.... disc <shudder>
>
>As for "New Order", I don't know if /everyone/ has it, just that most
>of our regulars who might be interested in the game probably do
>because, as I said, Epic offered it for free back on 2nd June 2022.
>But if they don't, might as well pick it up now.
>
>But if you do, hit ESC everytime it goes to cutscene, because the
>protagonist's melancholy brooding narrative /so/ does not fit with the
>"blood and gore is FUN!" gameplay.

Played it to the finish. I remember, at the end of the game, I used
almost all of my ammo on the giant robot thing before I figured out what
to do - IIRC it was a trick boss with a specific solution - and had a bit
of a problem shooting up the guys in the room past him because it saved
when I beat him, and, you know, I was almost out of ammo.

Hardest part of the game. Big room full of Nazis. Shoot guy in head with
the 5 bullets I had left. Grab his ammo. Shoot other guys in head. Grab
their ammo. All while avoiding being killed. Took several tries. The
whole thing suddenly became a survival horror game for me.

I enjoyed the gun play immensely, though. Good game.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<tnsptv$o4jf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10028&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10028

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 18:03:59 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:03 UTC

On 20/12/2022 17:21, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:05:29 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>> On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
>> A chance to shoot at evil Nazis
>>
>> Today we get:
>>
>> * Wolfenstein: The New Order
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
>> Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
>> well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
>> reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
>> into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
>> interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
>> narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
>> why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
>> so close, yet so far.
>>
>> Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
>> year, you have 24 hours to do so now.
>>
> I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
> go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
> XXX game instead of a AAA game.

I didn't.

well, now I have.

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<tnst0c$1n5c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10033&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10033

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:56:24 -0800
 by: Ant - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:56 UTC

"Sorry, you already own this item, or it's still being processed." I
forgot I had this game. :P

On 12/20/2022 8:05 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
> A chance to shoot at evil Nazis
>
> Today we get:
>
> * Wolfenstein: The New Order
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
> Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
> well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
> reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
> into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
> interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
> narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
> why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
> so close, yet so far.
>
> Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
> year, you have 24 hours to do so now.

--
"In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be
taken of the entire Roman world. So Joseph went up from the town of
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<2ld4qhp7nujuegf9jam6ecpnrlssu2n23p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10054&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10054

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:26:57 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 22:26 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:56:24 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
wrote:

>"Sorry, you already own this item, or it's still being processed." I
>forgot I had this game. :P

You should get checked for the STD.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<51563ff4-918b-48f6-a590-4cf4395a013fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10057&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10057

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:27:43 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:27 UTC

On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 8:45:53 AM UTC-8, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:33:09 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:21:34 -0600, Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
> >wrote:

> >>I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
> >>go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
> >>XXX game instead of a AAA game.
> >
> >I'd have been more excited has we gotten 2009's "Wolfenstein" (the one
> >where Blaskowicz goes to another dimension to fight ghosts. No,
> >really), just because that game has never had a digital release as far
> >as I'm aware. If I want to play it I have to use a.... disc <shudder>
> >
> >As for "New Order", I don't know if /everyone/ has it, just that most
> >of our regulars who might be interested in the game probably do
> >because, as I said, Epic offered it for free back on 2nd June 2022.
> >But if they don't, might as well pick it up now.
> >
> >But if you do, hit ESC everytime it goes to cutscene, because the
> >protagonist's melancholy brooding narrative /so/ does not fit with the
> >"blood and gore is FUN!" gameplay.
> >
> Played it to the finish. I remember, at the end of the game, I used
> almost all of my ammo on the giant robot thing before I figured out what
> to do - IIRC it was a trick boss with a specific solution - and had a bit
> of a problem shooting up the guys in the room past him because it saved
> when I beat him, and, you know, I was almost out of ammo.
>
> Hardest part of the game. Big room full of Nazis. Shoot guy in head with
> the 5 bullets I had left. Grab his ammo. Shoot other guys in head. Grab
> their ammo. All while avoiding being killed. Took several tries. The
> whole thing suddenly became a survival horror game for me.
>
> I enjoyed the gun play immensely, though. Good game.

I suppose I need to give it a try though I'm not as big a fan of the genre.
I had it too of course.

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<bP2cnWTWWbKDwz_-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10062&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10062

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:15:10 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:15 UTC

Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:56:24 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
> wrote:

> >"Sorry, you already own this item, or it's still being processed." I
> >forgot I had this game. :P
> >

> You should get checked for the STD.

STD? Sexually Transmitted Diseases?
--
"In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. So Joseph went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child." ???Luke 2:1, 4-5. Slammy weeky like yesterday. Allergies, delays, governments, doctors, and outages again. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<l1t4qh55qvthrlck9ag6jvg21t4gv8mo07@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10065&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10065

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:49:50 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 02:49 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:15:10 +0000, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
wrote:

>Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:56:24 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
>> wrote:
>
>> >"Sorry, you already own this item, or it's still being processed." I
>> >forgot I had this game. :P
>> >

>> You should get checked for the STD.
>
>STD? Sexually Transmitted Diseases?

See previous posts about the game being a slut.

Okay, I'm willing to give up the conceit now.

Sorry.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<73d7ebc7-952a-d87e-64c0-b272c2a62cdc@zimage.comANT>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10074&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10074

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 08:00:32 -0800
 by: Ant - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:00 UTC

On 12/20/2022 6:49 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:15:10 +0000, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Ant
> wrote:
>
>> Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> You should get checked for the STD.
>>
>> STD? Sexually Transmitted Diseases?
>
> See previous posts about the game being a slut.
>
> Okay, I'm willing to give up the conceit now.
>
> Sorry.

LOL!
--
"While [Joseph and Mary] were [in Bethlehem], the time came for the baby
to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him
this below signature correctly.
/\___/\ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
/ /\ /\ \
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<3cm7qh5cr01vl2l10sdqhcdrd21ufbhdh7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10095&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10095

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:14:29 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 04:14 UTC

wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:05:29 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>On the six day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeny gave to me
>>A chance to shoot at evil Nazis
>>
>>Today we get:
>>
>>* Wolfenstein: The New Order
>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order
>>Well, we're out of the Indie doldrums now. "New Order" is probably
>>well known enough that it doesn't need introduction; it's the (semi-)
>>reboot of the Wolfenstein series, catapulting BJ Blaskovitz 30 years
>>into a Nazi-controlled future. Very solid gameplay, nice visuals,
>>interesting setting, a bit weak in the narrative (or perhaps too much
>>narrative for such a weak story). Still, a very good game... probably
>>why they're giving it away for the second time this year. Oh, Epic...
>>so close, yet so far.
>>
>>Well, it was a nice try. If you didn't pick it up back in June this
>>year, you have 24 hours to do so now.
>>
>I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
>go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
>XXX game instead of a AAA game.

*--

I got it through Steam. Don't know how long ago, and if I even
started it up.

-pw

Re: Free Game: Wolfenstein New Order

<to1kr8$1ch44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10097&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10097

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:07:51 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:07 UTC

On 20/12/2022 17:03, kyonshi wrote:

>> I think *everyone* has this game. It's a total slut. Not that I usually
>> go around slut-shaming games, but at this point we may as well call it a
>> XXX game instead of a AAA game.
>>
> I didn't.
>
> well, now I have.

That makes two of us!