From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: EU Approves New Regulations That Require ...
_To_Offer_‘Easy_to_Replace’_Batteries
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:56:12 -0400
References: <a68vojx3vb.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <1wioziqnrdbej.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <u9mnta$plk1$1@dont-email.me> <hf63pjx935.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9n3at$qrs1$1@dont-email.me> <4vp4pjxkvs.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9p1kf$163gi$2@dont-email.me> <cq97pjx84h.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9rd71$1h7tb$1@dont-email.me> <ie18pjx1at.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9sds4$1kqmu$1@dont-email.me> <t0v8pjxka3.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9t4g4$1qk9v$3@dont-email.me> <kiek3eF98tiU1@mid.individual.net> <p52apjxklo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9v0pm$20m81$3@dont-email.me> <u9v2ok$20t9m$1@dont-email.me> <u9v99b$258d0$1@dont-email.me> <270720232320315004%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ua0vdh$2a296$1@dont-email.me> <ua12jo$1p2dg$1@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: Wally J - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:56 UTC

Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> wrong. apple, along with google, samsung and many companies, saw that
>>> the chargers in the box were not being used
>>
>> Saw how, exactly? Did they have monitors in 100m homes checking to see if
>> the charger was removed from the box?
>
> Apple conveniently didn't say that almost NOBODY had the properly sized
> intelligent PD charger that the expensive phone is capable of using.
>
> If they're Apple customers, it would be 99.99% of the people because Apple
> has not supplied that PD charger in _any_ iPhone Apple has ever sold.
>
>>> because people already had
>>> a bunch of them from other devices.
>>
>> Almost no-one had spare USB-C chargers given that very few Apple models -
>> nor many others - were sold with them at the time.
>
> It's ridiculous what these low class Apple people put up with from Apple.
>
> Who would be so low class as to use a 5W brick with a brand new thousand
> dollar iPhone? Nobody does that. Apple knows that nobody would do that.
>
> It's like buying a new car and putting your old tires on it from the old
> car (and then swapping the tires back & forth each time you use each car).
>
>> mini USB-A and USB-A yes, loads. USB-C nope.
>
> Not only USB-C, but Apple has never supplied iPhone customers ever with the
> high-power PD chargers that the customer's expensive phone is capable of.
>
>>> the message from consumers was very
>>> clear that including yet another was wasteful.
>
> Why is it then that almost every Android tablet & phone comes with it?
>
>>> also, due to the proliferation of devices that charge via usb, many
>>> people prefer to use chargers with multiple ports, which is much better
>>> (and more economical) than individual chargers for each device, each
>>> taking up a mains outlet.
>>
>> Better still get USB sockets integrated into the power outlet so no mains
>> sockets are used up. Again USB-A was the norm and USB-C was hard to find.
>> It's still the exception rather than the rule.
>> https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-13a-white-low-profile-usb-switched-socket/p27963
>
> It's not surprising but these Apple people have never heard of PD/QC
> standards since all they know about are the old Apple white 5W bricks.
>
> Zero Apple customers had the right sized PD charger.
> Everyone had to buy it.
>
> Apple's added eWaste as a result is easily tremendous (when you include the
> Amazon shipping, the boxing, the deliver green house gas emissions, etc.).
>
> Oh yes, and all that cardboard that Apple claims to have saved.
> It took ten times more cardboard to have it shipped by Amazon to you.

Apple removed the charger for one reason and one reason alone. Profits.

The ewaste as a result is probably ten time more now that Apple removed the
charger [as Apple's suggestion to share an old 5W brick is low-class slum].

Apple is clearly saying they believe their customers live in the projects
(where they share an old 5W brick among all the family members' iPhones).

Re: EU Approves New Regulations That Require ... To Offer ‘Easy to Replace’ Batteries

<ua1360$2a8b0$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1007

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
To_Offer_‘Easy_to_Replace’_Batteries
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:59:12 -0700
<u9mnta$plk1$1@dont-email.me> <hf63pjx935.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<u9n3at$qrs1$1@dont-email.me> <4vp4pjxkvs.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<u9p1kf$163gi$2@dont-email.me> <cq97pjx84h.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<u9rd71$1h7tb$1@dont-email.me> <ie18pjx1at.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<u9sds4$1kqmu$1@dont-email.me> <t0v8pjxka3.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<u9t4g4$1qk9v$3@dont-email.me> <kiek3eF98tiU1@mid.individual.net>
<p52apjxklo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u9v0pm$20m81$3@dont-email.me>
<u9v2ok$20t9m$1@dont-email.me> <u9v99b$258d0$1@dont-email.me>
<270720232320315004%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ua0vdh$2a296$1@dont-email.me>
<ua12jo$1p2dg$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ua12ur$1pcp8$1@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: Alan - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:59 UTC

On 2023-07-28 11:56, Wally J wrote:
> Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Saw how, exactly? Did they have monitors in 100m homes checking to see if
>>> the charger was removed from the box?
>>
>> Apple conveniently didn't say that almost NOBODY had the properly sized
>> intelligent PD charger that the expensive phone is capable of using.
>>
>> If they're Apple customers, it would be 99.99% of the people because Apple
>> has not supplied that PD charger in _any_ iPhone Apple has ever sold.

>>> Almost no-one had spare USB-C chargers given that very few Apple models -
>>> nor many others - were sold with them at the time.
>>
>> It's ridiculous what these low class Apple people put up with from Apple.
>>
>> Who would be so low class as to use a 5W brick with a brand new thousand
>> dollar iPhone? Nobody does that. Apple knows that nobody would do that.
>>
>> It's like buying a new car and putting your old tires on it from the old
>> car (and then swapping the tires back & forth each time you use each car).
>>
>>> mini USB-A and USB-A yes, loads. USB-C nope.
>>
>> Not only USB-C, but Apple has never supplied iPhone customers ever with the
>> high-power PD chargers that the customer's expensive phone is capable of.

>> Why is it then that almost every Android tablet & phone comes with it?

>>> Better still get USB sockets integrated into the power outlet so no mains
>>> sockets are used up. Again USB-A was the norm and USB-C was hard to find.
>>> It's still the exception rather than the rule.
>>> https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-13a-white-low-profile-usb-switched-socket/p27963
>>
>> It's not surprising but these Apple people have never heard of PD/QC
>> standards since all they know about are the old Apple white 5W bricks.
>>
>> Zero Apple customers had the right sized PD charger.
>> Everyone had to buy it.
>>
>> Apple's added eWaste as a result is easily tremendous (when you include the
>> Amazon shipping, the boxing, the deliver green house gas emissions, etc.).
>>
>> Oh yes, and all that cardboard that Apple claims to have saved.
>> It took ten times more cardboard to have it shipped by Amazon to you.
>
> Apple removed the charger for one reason and one reason alone. Profits.

You mean they couldn't have kept the chargers in the box and just
charged more?

> The ewaste as a result is probably ten time more now that Apple removed the
> charger [as Apple's suggestion to share an old 5W brick is low-class slum].
>
> Apple is clearly saying they believe their customers live in the projects
> (where they share an old 5W brick among all the family members' iPhones).

You're a bigot, aren't you, Arlen?

Re: EU Approves New Regulations That Require ... To Offer ‘Easy to Replace’ Batteries

<bnXwM.8909$KIcf.4485@fx07.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1008&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1008

To_Offer_‘Easy_to_Replace’_Batteries
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:33:43 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:33 UTC

On 2023-07-28 14:56, Wally J wrote:

> Apple removed the charger for one reason and one reason alone.

Almost right. There are a number of reasons, but the main thrust is
their commitment to reduce energy and material consumption, and e-waste.
As this is a commitment they've made to their shareholders, publicly,
they must do so.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase