It is not well to be thought of as one who meekly submits to insolence and intimidation.

devel / comp.arch.fpga / Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

SubjectAuthor
* VHDL2019 WebinarsHT-Lab
+* Re: VHDL2019 WebinarsPiotr Wyderski
|`* Re: VHDL2019 WebinarsHT-Lab
| `* Re: VHDL2019 WebinarsPiotr Wyderski
|  `* Re: VHDL2019 WebinarsW TX
|   `- Re: VHDL2019 WebinarsHT-Lab
`* Re: VHDL2019 WebinarsAnssi Saari
 `- Re: VHDL2019 Webinarsgnuarm.del...@gmail.com

1
VHDL2019 Webinars

<xwPiI.461902$7Kb.446994@fx37.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=98&group=comp.arch.fpga#98

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
From: han...@htminuslab.com (HT-Lab)
Subject: VHDL2019 Webinars
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:49:32 +0100
 by: HT-Lab - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:49 UTC

In case you missed it Aldec (Jim Lewis) is doing a webinars series on
VHDL2019.

https://www.aldec.com/en/company/events

It looks like I missed the first one as it start with Part2,

Regards,
Hans.
www.ht-lab.com

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<s6itpm$2h3ht$1@portraits.wsisiz.edu.pl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=99&group=comp.arch.fpga#99

From: peter....@neverland.mil (Piotr Wyderski)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Subject: Re: VHDL2019 Webinars
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 08:51:32 +0200
 by: Piotr Wyderski - Sat, 1 May 2021 06:51 UTC

HT-Lab wrote:

> In case you missed it Aldec (Jim Lewis) is doing a webinars series on
> VHDL2019.

Thanks, but honestly, who would benefit from learning VHDL2019 if
VHDL2008 is still supported at the so-so level at best? My
grandchildren? Same with System Verilog.

Best regards, Piotr

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<YhtjI.124593$UP.59398@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=100&group=comp.arch.fpga#100

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
From: han...@htminuslab.com (HT-Lab)
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 09:21:12 +0100
 by: HT-Lab - Sun, 2 May 2021 08:21 UTC

On 01/05/2021 07:51, Piotr Wyderski wrote:
> HT-Lab wrote:
>
>> In case you missed it Aldec (Jim Lewis) is doing a webinars series on
>> VHDL2019.
>
> Thanks, but honestly, who would benefit from learning VHDL2019 if
> VHDL2008 is still supported at the so-so level at best? My
> grandchildren? Same with System Verilog.

Hi Piotr,

I assume you are using Vivado's simulator? in that case yes support is
not that great but it is the price you pay for free. Both Siemens and
Aldec have close to full support for VHDL2008 and SV2017 and Incisive
and VCS have (so I have been told) "acceptable" VHDL2008 support and
obviously perfect SV support.

Unfortunately everybody is so busy producing code that they forget that
new language constructs can really help their coding effort and reduce
bugs. Try telling a VHDL user that he can no longer use
process(all)/case?/reading output ports/etc and see how he/she responds.
The same will apply to VHDL2019, there will be language features that
everybody will use.

Watch the webinar, see which features you like then log an enhancement
request with your simulator supplier, it is worth the effort!

Regards,
Hans.
www.ht-lab.com

>     Best regards, Piotr

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<s6mgu1$36jic$1@portraits.wsisiz.edu.pl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=101&group=comp.arch.fpga#101

From: peter....@neverland.mil (Piotr Wyderski)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 17:36:31 +0200
 by: Piotr Wyderski - Sun, 2 May 2021 15:36 UTC

Hi Hans,

> I assume you are using Vivado's simulator?

Actually, at the moment it is Lattice Diamond and Lattice Radiant, as
the FPGA is used mostly for its high-speed LVDS capabilities.

> in that case yes support is not that great but it is the price you pay for free.

I must admit that I do not quite follow this argument. In the software
world I can get both GCC and Clang entirely for free with an almost full
set of C++ features, often years before the new standard is accepted. I
have no idea why it should not be the same way with EDA tools. And the
tools are not free, I have already paid for them buying the chips. This
is not something I would like to spend too much time on, though; voting
with my feet is usually the best solution.

> Unfortunately everybody is so busy producing code that they forget that
> new language constructs can really help their coding effort and reduce
> bugs.

I wanted to use the new language constructs, but then the tools refused
to interpret them. Writing something that is recognisable by ModelSim,
Synplify and the Lattice in-house compiler at the same time is a kind of
an art. I had a similar experience with Quartus before.

> The same will apply to VHDL2019, there will be language features that
> everybody will use.

Not necessarily everybody. I got really tired with the hopelessly
obsolete HDL support and stared generating more and more HDL files from
Python scripts, especially when heavy generic support is required. I
believe I will further pursue this path rather than retract from it.
It simply works and I no longer need to guess what subset of the newer
standard was elected for implementation by throwing darts in the
marketing department of a particular vendor. The output is VHDL93 and if
something doesn't work, it doesn't work on my end -- I can add arbitrary
amount of Python preprocessing to fix that.

> Watch the webinar, see which features you like then log an enhancement
> request with your simulator supplier, it is worth the effort!

Last time I did that the supplier asked me how many devices I was
planning to purchase and what was the purpose of the product. I couldn't
find any logical connection between the question I asked and the
response I got, so I decided that any further contact would be pointless.

Best regards, Piotr

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<09f795dc-a78b-48d3-828c-ab922f69d225n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=102&group=comp.arch.fpga#102

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 08:07:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: wtx...@gmail.com (W TX)
 by: W TX - Tue, 4 May 2021 15:07 UTC

On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:36:36 AM UTC-7, Piotr Wyderski wrote:
> Hi Hans,
> > I assume you are using Vivado's simulator?
> Actually, at the moment it is Lattice Diamond and Lattice Radiant, as
> the FPGA is used mostly for its high-speed LVDS capabilities.
> > in that case yes support is not that great but it is the price you pay for free.
> I must admit that I do not quite follow this argument. In the software
> world I can get both GCC and Clang entirely for free with an almost full
> set of C++ features, often years before the new standard is accepted. I
> have no idea why it should not be the same way with EDA tools. And the
> tools are not free, I have already paid for them buying the chips. This
> is not something I would like to spend too much time on, though; voting
> with my feet is usually the best solution.
> > Unfortunately everybody is so busy producing code that they forget that
> > new language constructs can really help their coding effort and reduce
> > bugs.
> I wanted to use the new language constructs, but then the tools refused
> to interpret them. Writing something that is recognisable by ModelSim,
> Synplify and the Lattice in-house compiler at the same time is a kind of
> an art. I had a similar experience with Quartus before.
> > The same will apply to VHDL2019, there will be language features that
> > everybody will use.
> Not necessarily everybody. I got really tired with the hopelessly
> obsolete HDL support and stared generating more and more HDL files from
> Python scripts, especially when heavy generic support is required. I
> believe I will further pursue this path rather than retract from it.
> It simply works and I no longer need to guess what subset of the newer
> standard was elected for implementation by throwing darts in the
> marketing department of a particular vendor. The output is VHDL93 and if
> something doesn't work, it doesn't work on my end -- I can add arbitrary
> amount of Python preprocessing to fix that.
> > Watch the webinar, see which features you like then log an enhancement
> > request with your simulator supplier, it is worth the effort!
> Last time I did that the supplier asked me how many devices I was
> planning to purchase and what was the purpose of the product. I couldn't
> find any logical connection between the question I asked and the
> response I got, so I decided that any further contact would be pointless.
>
> Best regards, Piotr
I like to let Jim transfer all Webinars to Youtube so that everyone at any time at any place can view his presentation.

I like many Webinars presentations, but mostly I miss all interesting subjects, because it provides the presentation at a fixed time, and one cannot review it again later.

Weng

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<sm01rak9fcr.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=103&group=comp.arch.fpga#103

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 16:11:32 +0300
sha1:JFqUnZKuxD48EV0py0Ewf2F84ns=
 by: Anssi Saari - Thu, 6 May 2021 13:11 UTC

"gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:49:37 AM UTC-4, HT-Lab wrote:
>> In case you missed it Aldec (Jim Lewis) is doing a webinars series on
>> VHDL2019.
>>
>> https://www.aldec.com/en/company/events
>>
>> It looks like I missed the first one as it start with Part2,
>
> Yeah, so was there a part 1? Anyone know?

Sure and there's a recording of it at
https://www.aldec.com/en/support/resources/multimedia/webinars?type=1&products=&category=5&sub_category=&page=6

I haven't watched more than a few minutes yet.

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<d96e228e-c944-4e9a-9cd0-64e02b467b2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=104&group=comp.arch.fpga#104

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 10:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (gnuarm.del...@gmail.com)
 by: gnuarm.del...@gmail. - Thu, 6 May 2021 17:53 UTC

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 9:11:38 AM UTC-4, Anssi Saari wrote:
> "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:49:37 AM UTC-4, HT-Lab wrote:
> >> In case you missed it Aldec (Jim Lewis) is doing a webinars series on
> >> VHDL2019.
> >>
> >> https://www.aldec.com/en/company/events
> >>
> >> It looks like I missed the first one as it start with Part2,
> >
> > Yeah, so was there a part 1? Anyone know?
> Sure and there's a recording of it at
> https://www.aldec.com/en/support/resources/multimedia/webinars?type=1&products=&category=5&sub_category=&page=6
>
> I haven't watched more than a few minutes yet.

I guess I'll have to watch today's seminar on video too since they have not sent any info on how to watch it live and it's coming up in 10 minutes.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: VHDL2019 Webinars

<byzlI.487266$qNp.260772@fx39.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=107&group=comp.arch.fpga#107

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
From: han...@htminuslab.com (HT-Lab)
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 18:06:15 +0100
 by: HT-Lab - Sat, 8 May 2021 17:06 UTC

On 04/05/2021 16:07, W TX wrote:
> On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:36:36 AM UTC-7, Piotr Wyderski wrote:
>>
>> Best regards, Piotr
> I like to let Jim transfer all Webinars to Youtube so that everyone at any time at any place can view his presentation.
>
> I like many Webinars presentations, but mostly I miss all interesting subjects, because it provides the presentation at a fixed time, and one cannot review it again later.
>
> Weng

Hi Weng,

Not sure which webinars you signed up for but I nearly always get a link
to watch the webinar again. The last 3 where Doulos, Microchip and
DVclub and they all send me a link to watch it again.

I am not sure youtube is any better platform given the excessive adverts
I am getting lately (might be because I also click skip ads as quick as
possible.....)

Hans
www.ht-lab.com