Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 16:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Avoid the Amiga 4000
From: ahandyma...@gmail.com (Rick H)
 by: Rick H - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:19 UTC

On Wednesday, October 7, 1992 at 12:33:56 PM UTC-7, Marc N Barrett wrote:
> Over two and-a-half years ago, when the Amiga 3000 came out, many people
> remember how much I flamed the system because of the few improvements it
> offered in the overall characteristics that make the Amiga an Amiga. But to
> its credit, the A3000 did not head in reverse on any key technologies, either.
> The A3000 offered substantial improvements in areas such as display resolution,
> HD access, HD speed, and CPU speed. It offered no improvements in the key
> areas of sound and color graphics capabilities. But it was in no way worse
> than Amigas that came before it in any areas.
> The A4000 is a different story. With the A4000, the only substantial
> improvement is color. And it becomes clearer every day at just what the costs
> have been to improve the color capabilities. In the key area of display
> resolution, the A4000 is substantially inferior to the A3000, do to the fact
> that the A3000 has a Display Enhancer and the A4000 does not.
> The Display Enhancer in the A3000 is arguably its best feature. It allows
> all resolution modes (except for the Super HiRes modes, which are limited in
> color capability on the A3000 anyway) to be boosted to a high-quality 31Khz
> display. Resolution modes that were non-interlaced before are improved
> substantially by removing the scan-lines. And interlaced modes are now totally
> flicker-free. Because of the Display Enhancer, the A3000 is usable with lots
> of very high-quality monitors. I know one person who found a bargain on a
> 19" workstation monitor which syncs down to 31Khz, offers a brilliantly sharp
> picture with lots of colors (as many colors as any computer can put out),
> and just plain works beautifully with the A3000. With the Display Enhancer,
> the user never has to worry about whether or not his or her monitor can sync
> down to 15Khz because it never has to.
> The A4000 is a totally different story. At first, I was a little confused
> about the function of the scan-doubler and promoter features of the AGA Lisa
> video chip. I thought at first that Commodore had basically moved the
> Display Enhancer internally to the Lisa chip. I realise now that I was wrong.
> The scan-doubler is not new at all, and is present in pretty much the same
> form in the ECS Denise. In fact, it should be possible to generate the
> A4000's DblPAL and DblNTSC modes on any Amiga with the ECS Denise, but with
> very tight color restrictions. I have also found that the "Promoter" is not
> hardware at all, but simply a function of AmigaDOS 3.0. With 3.0, the OS
> can be told to intercept calls to open NTSC and PAL screens, and open DblNTSC
> and DblPAL screens instead. This has lots and lots of problems, though, which
> I will get to in a bit.
> The biggest problem with the A4000 by far is its lack of a Display Enhancer.
> With the A4000, it is no longer possible to purchase a monitor that will only
> handle scan frequencies of 31Khz and up. If an Amiga problem insists on
> [...]

This is VERY dated information. I realize this is 30 years old, but people see the headline and take that as granted. The thing about the A4000 and where it shines is the fact that it was designed to be expanded! Put a top end graphics board in it and it can push the limits of even the best monitor out there! I use an MNT ZZ9000 in mine and the graphics are incredible! It also handles the scan-doubling, so no problems on modern monitors.
Other things with this card, unlike the A3000, with this graphics card, you have a USB port and drivers to make the USB Port read thumb drives! This gives you the ability to quickly and easily transfer data between your PC and your Amiga. Not only that, but with a Roadshow TCP addon board (plugs onto the MNT ZZ9000 graphics board), you have the ability to use this same card to connect to the internet! The same card also has a significant fast ram upgrade!

With cards like these, as well as other even higher performance accelerator cards, the A4000 DOES have its place. Most of what is in this article is very dated. By today's standards, the differences in hard drive performance, specifically SCSI vs IDE is nearly meaningless, because actual hard drives are almost never used these days! Most people use a compact flash adapter and make themselves a 16gb or 32gb hard drive on a CF and you are set. If you want to play around with say amiga unix, just put in a new CF and you have an entirely different hard drive. The A4000 is catching the emotional ire of people here that were hoping the Commodore and the Amiga would have continued on for decade, moving along to higher performance CPUs, etc., like the PCs did. Without any accelerators, the A4000 is the fastest Commodore Amiga made.