From: forget...@invalid.net (bad sector)
Subject: repo VS zypper 1:0
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 23:32:42 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:32 UTC

When updating with zypper I often get lines that hang like this:

Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm ..<89%>==[|]

Does this mean that there's a problem with the file in the repo?
If so, is there no cron that continuously fakes updates poking
at all repo files to pop up an alarm when one goes south?

Can I call zypper so as to just motor past any hangs or timeouts?

--
A world of true wonders is that of theories where
all manner of exotica may be found, exclusively, as

Re: repo VS zypper 1:0

<ufe2kp$2shr9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1010

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Vito Martinelli)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: repo VS zypper 1:0
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 11:31:04 +0200
 by: Don Vito Martinelli - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 09:31 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> When updating with zypper I often get lines that hang like this:
>
> Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm ..<89%>==[|]
>
> Does this mean that there's a problem with the file in the repo?
> If so, is there no cron that continuously fakes updates poking
> at all repo files to pop up an alarm when one goes south?
>
> Can I call zypper so as to just motor past any hangs or timeouts?

Not something I've observed, and I have three machines running 15.5 Leap
which I update on a regular basis (normally daily).
Around 3-6 years ago I was having problems downloading the repository
info for some repositories, always around 20:00 - 21:00 UTC. I think
switching to another mirror (and I no longer know how I did that) fixed
things.

Re: repo VS zypper 1:0

<tZqdnbFxaqHKN4P4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1011&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1011

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 08:21:42 -0400
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:21 UTC

On 10/2/23 05:31, Don Vito Martinelli wrote:
> bad sector wrote:
>> When updating with zypper I often get lines that hang like this:
>>
>> Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm ..<89%>==[|]
>>
>> Does this mean that there's a problem with the file in the repo?
>> If so, is there no cron that continuously fakes updates poking
>> at all repo files to pop up an alarm when one goes south?
>>
>> Can I call zypper so as to just motor past any hangs or timeouts?
>
> Not something I've observed, and I have three machines running 15.5 Leap
> which I update on a regular basis (normally daily).
> Around 3-6 years ago I was having problems downloading the repository
> info for some repositories, always around 20:00 - 21:00 UTC.  I think
> switching to another mirror (and I no longer know how I did that) fixed
> things.

I've done the repo switch too and it worked but I wanna know what the
problem is and try for a permanent fix. Today it's still doing it with
(as usual) the same package (or packages) at the same % point:

Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm ....<89%>=======[-]

Another thing that works is temporarily tabooing the package in Yast,
that'll get the other packages upgraded in the meanwhile but it may, as
in this case, flag a bunch of other package updates. If the problem is
in the repo then a cron should monitor it, if it's my local storage or
the zypper code then I have no idea.

"http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.5/
Packman Repository (Medium 1).
Check whether the server is accessible."

Since the same file will cause the problem I don't see how server
accessibility could be the cause, a mismatch between some repo info and
actual content maybe?

Re: repo VS zypper 1:0

<ko8a0jFhdk6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1012&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1012

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 19:27:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:27 UTC

On 2023-10-05 14:21, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/2/23 05:31, Don Vito Martinelli wrote:
>> bad sector wrote:
>>> When updating with zypper I often get lines that hang like this:
>>>
>>> Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm ..<89%>==[|]
>>>
>>> Does this mean that there's a problem with the file in the repo?
>>> If so, is there no cron that continuously fakes updates poking
>>> at all repo files to pop up an alarm when one goes south?
>>>
>>> Can I call zypper so as to just motor past any hangs or timeouts?
>>
>> Not something I've observed, and I have three machines running 15.5
>> Leap which I update on a regular basis (normally daily).
>> Around 3-6 years ago I was having problems downloading the repository
>> info for some repositories, always around 20:00 - 21:00 UTC.  I think
>> switching to another mirror (and I no longer know how I did that)
>> fixed things.

Me neither.

> I've done the repo switch too and it worked but I wanna know what the
> problem is and try for a permanent fix. Today it's still doing it with
> (as usual) the same package (or packages) at the same % point:
>
> Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm
> ....<89%>=======[-]
>
> Another thing that works is temporarily tabooing the package in Yast,
> that'll get the other packages upgraded in the meanwhile but it may, as
> in this case, flag a bunch of other package updates. If the problem is
> in the repo then a cron should monitor it, if it's my local storage or
> the zypper code then I have no idea.

There is in fact a cron job checking the mirrors.

> "http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.5/
> Packman Repository (Medium 1).
> Check whether the server is accessible."
>
> Since the same file will cause the problem I don't see how server
> accessibility could be the cause, a mismatch between some repo info and
> actual content maybe?

No.

Some network problem between you and the mirror.

You can try to use a different mirror.

You can also download manually the problem file and place it in the
exact directory that zypper will place it, then run zypper again.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: repo VS zypper 1:0

<tAydnYFcvr_KvIL4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1013&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1013

From: forget...@invalid.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 20:49:27 +0000
 by: bad sector - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:49 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 19:27:47 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2023-10-05 14:21, bad sector wrote:

>>> Not something I've observed, and I have three machines running 15.5
>>> Leap which I update on a regular basis (normally daily).
>>> Around 3-6 years ago I was having problems downloading the repository
>>> info for some repositories, always around 20:00 - 21:00 UTC.  I think
>>> switching to another mirror (and I no longer know how I did that)
>>> fixed things.
>
> Me neither.
>

>> I've done the repo switch too and it worked but I wanna know what the
>> problem is and try for a permanent fix. Today it's still doing it with
>> (as usual) the same package (or packages) at the same % point:
>>
>> Retrieving: libavfilter6-3.4.12-150500.2.pm.1.x86_64.rpm
>> ....<89%>=======[-]
>>
>> Another thing that works is temporarily tabooing the package in Yast,
>> that'll get the other packages upgraded in the meanwhile but it may, as
>> in this case, flag a bunch of other package updates. If the problem is
>> in the repo then a cron should monitor it, if it's my local storage or
>> the zypper code then I have no idea.
>
> There is in fact a cron job checking the mirrors.
>

>> "http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.5/
>> Packman Repository (Medium 1).
>> Check whether the server is accessible."
>>
>> Since the same file will cause the problem I don't see how server
>> accessibility could be the cause, a mismatch between some repo info and
>> actual content maybe?
>
> No.
>
> Some network problem between you and the mirror.
>
> You can try to use a different mirror.
>
> You can also download manually the problem file and place it in the
> exact directory that zypper will place it, then run zypper again.

Just spent 15 minutes preparing a reply, saved it to draft,
and then thunderbird just dropped it into nowhere. Here goes
a shorter one via Pan

I edited the URL from
Packman Repository
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/$releasever/

to both as
https://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.5/

and that worked in Yast. But this is workaround or a fix but it
doesn't tell me what the problem was, which seems to be a recurring
one ($releasever IS Leap-15.5)

They've taken the details view out of Yast, all we see now is the
progress bar. The repo name is a microcancerish 'Packman Repository'
instead of the fully qualifieed URL, what's next, Billy's picture
as the Yast icon?