E = MC ** 2 +- 3db

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywarenospam
 `* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAndy Burnelli
  `* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywarenospam
   +* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAndy Burnelli
   |+* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAlan
   ||`* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywarenospam
   || `* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAndy Burnelli
   ||  `- Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAlan
   |`* Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywarenospam
   | `- Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAndy Burnelli
   `- Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spywareAlan

1
Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4rn3a$mo5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10133&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10133

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:00:46 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:00 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Last we looked at this in detail, it was always the case that a properly
>> configured Android was far more expensive to successfully crack into in
>> pentests than a properly configured iOS device - simply because Apple.
>
> that is absolutely false.

You bullshit so much without even a single cite to back up your bullshit
I'm not even going to bother to ask you to back up you brazen denials.

> it's much easier to crack into an android phone than android.

Tell that to the people running pen tests who say otherwise.

> it helps to actually understand how it's done rather than simply read
> linkbait headlines.

You always brazenly fabricate that you have hidden secret knowledge and yet
whenever you are asked to back up that brazen fabrication, you fall silent.

>> That's good advice except that Apple adds at least one zero-day hole every
>> single month into iOS (for years and years they've done that), so what he's
>> doing by adding the latest release is adding another zero-day hole too. :)
>
> false, and further demonstrates your lack of knowledge about security,
> not just iphones.

Are you seriously brazenly denying Apple is told about an existing zero-day
hole roughly about each and every month for the past few years that Apple
decidedly and poignantly did not find - often it's Google who finds them?

>> Worse, iOS can _only_ update by updating the entire release, whereas at
>> least with Android he'd be able to update whatever file has the hole. :)
>
> also false.

You have no clue how iOS updates if you claim that what even Apple will
tell you is the case, is the case, nospam.

> some ios updates are a few megabytes, whereas the 'entire release' is a
> few gigabytes. one of those is much smaller than the other. guess what
> that means.

You don't know how Android updates and you don't know how iOS updates.
They're different.

And stop the bullshit about the "few gigabytes" because only a moron
doesn't know what I mean when I say the entire OS has to be updated.

You always play the moron role, nospam. Stop it.
It makes you look at stupid as you really are.

Seriously.
You _know_ exactly what I mean by iOS being monolithic.

You just pretend to be stupid.
Stop it.

> keep up the good work. you don't want to say anything that's actually
> correct, now do you? that would ruin your stellar record of being wrong
> about everything.

It's _only_ iOS that updates with that laughably primitive monolithic
mechanism. No other common consumer operating system uses that outdated
stone-age monolithic method of security and app updates but iOS.

*You _hate_ that fact, nospam*

But the fact you _hate_ that fact about iOS doesn't change that fact.

>> As we already said, it's well known (and we've discussed this in detail)
>> that a "properly configured" Android is _always_ safer than a properly
>> configured iOS ever can be.
>
> that is not only false, but 'properly configured android' is very
> difficult to do to do to where it's as secure as ios out of the box.

Again, I'm not even going to ask you anymore to back up your bullshit.

>> If nospam wants to disagree, he'll need to
>> provide cites since it's well known as proven in published pentests.
>
> those mythical published pentests don't show what you think they do.

Again, you _hate_ the fact that Apple has so many zero-day holes that even
Google finds them at about the rate of one per month year after year.

>> However, Android does allow lots of app functionality that iOS doesn't so
>
> there are a few things that android can do that ios cannot and a bunch
> of things that ios can do that android cannot.

There is _zero_ app functionality in iOS that isn't already in Android.
The _reason_ is obvious to all _intelligent_ people, nospam.
*Apple drastically restricts what the apps can do; Google can't.*

> no device does everything in every situation.

It's _not_ Apple nor Google who provides most of the app functionality.
All Apple or Google do is provide the inherent _hardware_ functionality.

And even there, Apple drastically restricts what the hardware can do.
(e.g., FM radios, 3.5mm jacks, modern batteries, fast chargers, etc.)

As a direct result of those basic facts, the iPhone will _always_ lack the
functionality of Android.

I get it that you _hate_ that fact nospam.
But the fact you hate the fact doesn't change the fact it is a fact.

>>> unlike android, it's difficult to compromise an iphone (don't believe
>>> the misleading linkbait headlines).
>>
>> Then how come jailbreaks work nospam?
>
> jailbreaking requires multiple exploits and physical possession of the
> phone.

Bullshit. There are some iPhones that can't even be fixed to prevent
jailbreaking because Apple's crappy hardware designs are unfixable nospam.

> that's very different than a user being sent a link in a rogue email or
> text message, which they tap.

The fact there are _plenty_ of zero-click exploits on iOS is what you hate.
You know why you hate that fact?

I do.
You _believe_ everything that Apple feeds you to believe.

And yet, Apple _never_ tells you the truth about iOS.
The truth is that zero-click exploits _abound_ on iOS.

You _hate_ that fact, nospam.
But the fact you hate the fact doesn't change that it _is_ a fact.

> it helps to actually understand how things work, something you are
> incapable of.

It's going to be hard for you to even get close to insulting my
intelligence when your IQ is scores of points below mine, nospam.

I think you should stop trying.
It's just _sad_ when you fall to the level of Alan Baker, nospam.

Stop it.
Be a man.

Accept the fact you have a rather low IQ and no education.
Just accept the facts nospam.

You can't insult me by bullshitting after saying that you have hidden
secret knowledge that even Apple doesn't claim to be the case.

You just can't.
There's nobody on this newsgroup even close but certainly it's not you.

BTW, I love a good clever insult - but your kindergarten attempts just show
you for what you are. If you're gonna insult me, you have to be smarter.
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<030520221316107841%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10136&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10136

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 13:16:10 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:16 UTC

In article <t4rn3a$mo5$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > it's much easier to crack into an android phone than android.
>
> Tell that to the people running pen tests who say otherwise.

they aren't saying what you claim they are.

you also have no clue how any of it is even done, which means you don't
understand any of the links you find, and not just about this either.

> > it helps to actually understand how it's done rather than simply read
> > linkbait headlines.

^this^

> > some ios updates are a few megabytes, whereas the 'entire release' is a
> > few gigabytes. one of those is much smaller than the other. guess what
> > that means.
>
> You don't know how Android updates and you don't know how iOS updates.
> They're different.

i have both, so yes i do, along with mac and windows too, as well as
desktop and embedded linux.

> And stop the bullshit about the "few gigabytes" because only a moron
> doesn't know what I mean when I say the entire OS has to be updated.

you're admitting you're a moron? progress.

> You _know_ exactly what I mean by iOS being monolithic.

yep, and it's totally wrong.

> > there are a few things that android can do that ios cannot and a bunch
> > of things that ios can do that android cannot.
>
> There is _zero_ app functionality in iOS that isn't already in Android.

demonstrably false.

there might be zero functionality that personally interests you, but
that's very, very different.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4roca$1acr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10137&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10137

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 18:22:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:22 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> You don't know how Android updates and you don't know how iOS updates.
>> They're different.
>
> i have both, so yes i do, along with mac and windows too, as well as
> desktop and embedded linux.

Then tell us which two dozen core modules update over the Internet (without
the carriers even involved!) on the modern Android 10 and above nospam.

Tell us how that over-the-Internet update of dozens of core modules is
completely _different_ from the primitive iOS updates of core modules.

I know the answer.
Everyone who knows anything about iOS & Android knows the answer too.

Do you?

Tell us, instead of just fabricating that you know what you don't know.
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<030520221338288095%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10139&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10139

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 13:38:28 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:38 UTC

In article <t4roca$1acr$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Then tell us which two dozen core modules update over the Internet (without
> the carriers even involved!) on the modern Android 10 and above nospam.

right after you explain how ios updates that are just a few megabytes
for a roughly 2 gigabyte os can be considered 'monolithic'.

perhaps you should start by explaining the difference between mega- and
giga- before moving onto the more complex topics.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4rrdq$ou5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10141&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10141

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 19:14:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:14 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Then tell us which two dozen core modules update over the Internet (without
>> the carriers even involved!) on the modern Android 10 and above nospam.
>
> right after you explain how ios updates that are just a few megabytes
> for a roughly 2 gigabyte os can be considered 'monolithic'.

Stop playing stupid nospam.

You know that _every_ fix by Apple to the OS _requires_ an entirely new OS
version (whether or not any individual iOS device has the prior version).

None of the other four common consumer operating systems do that.
Just iOS.

The mechanism iOS uses is so primitive that it _slows_ down fixes, nospam.
*Why Apple should provide standalone updates for native iOS apps*
<https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/21/heres-why-apple-should-provide-standalone-updates-for-native-ios-apps/>

> perhaps you should start by explaining the difference between mega- and
> giga- before moving onto the more complex topics.

Stop acting like Alan Baker whose only purpose on Usenet is to bolster his
own low self esteem by your kindergarten arguments about mega vs giga.

The fact you _hate_ is still a fact no matter how much you hate facts, nospam.

No other common consumer operating system uses the primitive iOS monolithic
update, and, in fact, it's _why_ Apple iOS code keeps zero-day bugs longer
(*even many months _after_ they've been reported to Apple!*).

Worse than that, when iOS needs to update, Apple has to create an entirely
new code stream for all users just to fix even a _single_ line of code!

Earlier this year, researchers were frustrated by Apple not fixing huge
bugs so they published the vulnerabilities and then it _still_ took Apple
weeks to scramble to create an entirely new iOS release which left billions
of users with _known_ (hence actively exploited!) holes for a long time!
*Why Apple should provide standalone updates for native iOS apps*
<https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/21/heres-why-apple-should-provide-standalone-updates-for-native-ios-apps/>
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.
Except iKooks. They're here to bolster their sordid lack of self esteem.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4rrig$1rj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10142&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10142

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:16:46 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:16 UTC

On 2022-05-03 10:38 a.m., nospam wrote:
> In article <t4roca$1acr$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
> <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Then tell us which two dozen core modules update over the Internet (without
>> the carriers even involved!) on the modern Android 10 and above nospam.
>
> right after you explain how ios updates that are just a few megabytes
> for a roughly 2 gigabyte os can be considered 'monolithic'.
>
> perhaps you should start by explaining the difference between mega- and
> giga- before moving onto the more complex topics.

Indeed.

The pending 14.5.1 update on my phone is 133.1MB...

....and therefore cannot be a monolithic install of iOS...

....which would have to be nearly 3GB.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4rron$1rj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10143&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10143

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:20:07 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:20 UTC

On 2022-05-03 11:14 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> Then tell us which two dozen core modules update over the Internet
>>> (without
>>> the carriers even involved!) on the modern Android 10 and above nospam.
>>
>> right after you explain how ios updates that are just a few megabytes
>> for a roughly 2 gigabyte os can be considered 'monolithic'.
>
> Stop playing stupid nospam.
> You know that _every_ fix by Apple to the OS _requires_ an entirely new OS
> version (whether or not any individual iOS device has the prior version).

The version is just a NAME, Arlen.

> None of the other four common consumer operating systems do that.
> Just iOS.
>
> The mechanism iOS uses is so primitive that it _slows_ down fixes, nospam.
> *Why Apple should provide standalone updates for native iOS apps*
> <https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/21/heres-why-apple-should-provide-standalone-updates-for-native-ios-apps/>
>

>> perhaps you should start by explaining the difference between mega- and
>> giga- before moving onto the more complex topics.
>
> Stop acting like Alan Baker whose only purpose on Usenet is to bolster his
> own low self esteem by your kindergarten arguments about mega vs giga.

If the entire OS (in this case iOS 14) comes in at nearly 3 gigabytes...

....please explain how the pending update to 14.15.1 is only 133 megabytes...

....roughly 4% of that size...

....please explain how that can be a monolithic install of the OS

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<030520221453549703%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10146&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10146

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 14:53:54 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:53 UTC

In article <t4rrdq$ou5$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> You know that _every_ fix by Apple to the OS _requires_ an entirely new OS
> version (whether or not any individual iOS device has the prior version).

they increment the version number to make it easy to differentiate from
the previous versions. that's a good thing.

> None of the other four common consumer operating systems do that.

oh yes they do, although it's not always obvious.

for example, on windows 10/11, you have to check the build number.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<030520221453559760%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10147&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10147

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 14:53:55 -0400

In article <t4rron$1rj$2@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> If the entire OS (in this case iOS 14) comes in at nearly 3 gigabytes...
>
> ...please explain how the pending update to 14.15.1 is only 133 megabytes...
>
> ...roughly 4% of that size...
>
> ...please explain how that can be a monolithic install of the OS

math is hard.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4s1s7$1oqs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10155&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10155

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:04:43 +0100
References: <t4p40a$2haej$1@paganini.bofh.team> <t4pjd8$l00$1@dont-email.me> <020520221813446272%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4qj2t$1uak$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520220643354543%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4rn3a$mo5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520221316107841%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4roca$1acr$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520221338288095%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4rrdq$ou5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t4rron$1rj$2@dont-email.me> <030520221453559760%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:04 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> ...please explain how that can be a monolithic install of the OS
>
> math is hard.

The adults will notice that nospam _hates_ the fact iOS uses a primitive
monolithic update mechanism which no other modern operating system uses.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4s20m$mhr$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10158&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10158

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 13:06:46 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:06 UTC

On 2022-05-03 1:04 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> ...please explain how that can be a monolithic install of the OS
>>
>> math is hard.
>
> The adults will notice that nospam _hates_ the fact iOS uses a primitive
> monolithic update mechanism which no other modern operating system uses.

I notice you've carefully snipped away the text that shows that to be a
false claim.

Re: Spanish government iPhones infected by zero-click spyware

<t4s214$1r8b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10159&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10159

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:07:20 +0100
References: <t4p40a$2haej$1@paganini.bofh.team> <t4pjd8$l00$1@dont-email.me> <020520221813446272%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4qj2t$1uak$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520220643354543%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4rn3a$mo5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520221316107841%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4roca$1acr$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520221338288095%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t4rrdq$ou5$1@gioia.aioe.org> <030520221453549703%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:07 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> You know that _every_ fix by Apple to the OS _requires_ an entirely new OS
>> version (whether or not any individual iOS device has the prior version).
>
> they increment the version number to make it easy to differentiate from
> the previous versions. that's a good thing.

What adults will notice, nospam, is the fact remains a fact that only iOS
uses a decidedly primitive stone-age monolithic release update mechanism.